Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

St. Gaudens with the most eye appeal?

What are your opinions on the finest St. Gaudens double eagles in terms of eye appeal (not necessarily grade)? My favorites are free of bag marks, well struck (especially the face), and lustrous (rather than toned).

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cinclodes said:
    What are your opinions on the finest St. Gaudens double eagles in terms of eye appeal (not necessarily grade)? My favorites are free of bag marks, well struck (especially the face), and lustrous (rather than toned).

How do you find a coin that is free of bag marks, well struck and lustrous that doesn't have a high grade?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like gold, and lustrous gold is the most eye appealing....A real prize winner would be the UHR with full luster and immaculate fields...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above.

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@cinclodes said:

How do you find a coin that is free of bag marks, well struck and lustrous that doesn't have a high grade?

Buy a CAC Saint.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@cinclodes said:

One could, of course, look for the examples of the highest grade, but that wouldn't necessarily correspond to the examples of the highest eye appeal in my opinion.

• Options

I was hoping to see photos (or links to photos) of specific coins that are regarded as having particularly high eye appeal.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cinclodes said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cinclodes said:

One could, of course, look for the examples of the highest grade, but that wouldn't necessarily correspond to the examples of the highest eye appeal in my opinion.

But you listed the 3 things that lead to higher Gem grades.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the ANA show in Chicago a few months ago there was a dealer(I forget who) who had two 1907 high relief saints in 67 or 67+. They were the most amazing coins I've ever seen.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UltraHighRelief said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cinclodes said:

Buy a CAC Saint.

Agree and with no rub on the knee, breast, or wing!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 1:27PM

Mainly as op but spots, unattractive toning a deal killer for me. I buy coins that meet my standards whether CAC or not and won’t pay much more than 5- 10 pct more if CAC and it better be really PQ (according to my taste).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@derryb said:
    Photos by Brandon Kelly/Anaconda Coins:

Thanks for posting those. The 1923-D has a fully struck face. The 1913 doesn't seem to have even the slightest nick in the fields.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cinclodes said:
    What are your opinions on the finest St. Gaudens double eagles in terms of eye appeal (not necessarily grade)? My >favorites are free of bag marks, well struck (especially the face), and lustrous (rather than toned).

Are you looking for anything in particular?
    If so, I can make a recommendation.

If you like luster, CAC coins might be something to check out.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 5:25AM

@cinclodes As an issue overall, rather than particular examples, I think the 1923-D Saint is among the best-made in the entire series. Most feature excellent strikes, are widely available for the money, and show good luster as a rule with no problems. An extra bonus is the mintmark, which doesn't cost a lot more than the P-mints that are so ubiquitous, and the only 1923-D U.S. coinage except for the Peace dollars.

Here's our current example, an MS65 that we have not sent to CAC:

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 5:49AM

@cinclodes said:

@derryb said:

Thanks for posting those. The 1923-D has a fully struck face. The 1913 doesn't seem to have even the slightest nick in the fields.

I believe that the 1913 is a Proof and as such, isn’t really a fair example for comparison purposes.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing can beat the Ultra High Relief Saint which is a very rare and expensive pattern. As far as the best looking Saint that is affordable for many collectors, I like the 2009 UHR Saint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry that I don't have larger images to post. > @MFeld said:

@cinclodes said:

@derryb said:

I believe that the 1913 is a Proof and as such, isn’t really a fair example for comparison purposes.

yes a matte proof, in a class of its own.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2019 3:53PM

@giorgio11 said:
    I think the 1923-D Saint is among the best-made in the entire series. Most feature excellent strikes, are widely available for >the money, and show good luster as a rule with no problems.

Very interesting date/mint & available in MS66 at just a tiny bit over common dates.
    You can find all sorts of interesting looking 23 coins.
    I like spots, streaks, splotches & anything interesting so long as they are original.
    This 23-D has bullseye luster and toning around the outside.
    BTW...luster usually shows up as black/white on TrueView
    Toning shows up yellow/orange/brown/green

Here is another "bullseye" 23-D for sale now.
    http://www.collectorscorner.com/Products/Item.aspx?id=44740472

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like uniform color with a firm strike and plenty of luster. If the coin has marks I prefer it not be in a cluster and prefer it not be in the field area. Rims are important too. Don’t want to se dinged rims.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

1927 usually has above average surfaces and eye appeal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file