Home U.S. Coin Forum

Petition PCGS to Bring Back Full Size Images and Photos

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2019 9:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Dear PCGS, please bring back the full-size images that you used to support.

These little images do us nor you any good.

This is by far the best coin forum in the world so please have world-class imagery available.

Find the error on this coin .....

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uniface?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Uniface?

bob :)

I wish :)

edited November 28, 2019 9:52AM

Where's Waldo?

I can see him in the image as I know where he is.

Can you see him?

Oh, that's right the super small photo makes it Almost impossible to see.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a struck through on the shoulder?? Retained? Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Is that a struck through on the shoulder?? Retained? Cheers, RickO

Dang, your good.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins ...Thank you Sir....It just jumped out at me...Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:

Ya, me too, that's why I bought it. Struck in and retain copper. Super rare, great design and an ounce of gold, all good.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of like the forum the way it is!

Why can I not see Coinstartled's response or any of his posts?

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Not at me...I didn't see it until it was pointed out.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@ricko said:

COLOR and its changes are extremely important when examining a coin.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 12:56PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

This is by far the best coin forum in the world so please have world-class imagery available.

I believe what you are saying is that in the PCGS Forum,
    the hosted images no longer have a "zoom" or "view full size" option.

Using Chrome, I can click on a hosted photo and "Open image in new tab"
    to see the full size version. Of course, then I often see only a small part of it.
    Depending on your browser, you might have more options for resizing?

On other parts of the PCGS website, like PCGS CoinFacts and TrueView, there are options for zoom / view full size.

Pictures used to be large and now they are small.

I use an IMac and safari and don't buy the browser blame game thing.

Use to work fine, now it does not.

Just inferior to what it was.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 1:49PM

It appears my post was unclear to you, sorry.
    I agreed that the image resizing changed on the PCGS Forum (but not on other parts of the PCGS site).
    I was not blaming browsers for the change.
    What I meant was that some browsers include their own image resizing (Chrome does not).

P.S. When I first read the title of your thread, I thought you were talking about the many large size photos that used to be available on PCGS CoinFacts. It was reduced to the top 3 for each date/mint mark. Then increased if some are in registry sets. I would still like to see it restored to all TrueViews, not just 3+. It is very important for studying die varieties in older series like Liberty Seated and Bust.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did this change?

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man you are right, the only way to see full size is to right click- open in new tab. @PCGSDev this doesn't seem right, the full size image is still on their server so this isn't a space saving measure. Even pictures linked externally have to be opened manually to view full size. They just need to get the auto-link feature back on large photos like it used to be.
    The recent update did no favors around here.

Collector, occasional seller

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 2:38PM

I too have a MAC and am using Safari. As said above if I right click on the image and select open in a new tab I get an image that fills the screen top to bottom, if I click again I get an image that only about 2/3 thirds fits my 18" monitor but you can scroll around and see any part of the image that you wish.

GrandAm :)
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong denomination on that nickel?? :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please PCGS bring back the large photo's.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

And charge for them. :o:o:s:s:p

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay on the request... Yawn on the error :p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure slows things down. Lots of clicks when there are a lot of images.

Larry

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

The larger images probably used too much bandwidth. I dont mind the smaller pics.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited December 1, 2019 6:47AM

@grote15 said:
    The larger images probably used too much bandwidth. I dont mind the smaller pics.

You could actually RESEARCH both die state and authenticity of coins with the larger images. In the 1970s we often would need to wait for a major coin show, a trip to a museum, or ship a coin off to a consultant when we received particular coins to certify. Unfortunately, in a very short time, it became apparent that some famous consultants knew less than we did! That made it necessary for us ALWAYS to see a comparison coin in-hand.

Before the change, the PCGS images were like a trip to the museum, a great aid to coin authentication and ALWAYS my go-to first stop. Now, a little less so.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too, don't like not being able to enlarge the photos or scans.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@mannie gray said:

@ricko said:

I agee. Did you finally correct the white color balance in your images, but I missed it?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 9:23AM

One right click of the mouse with the cursor over the image will do it. One left click with the cursor over "view image". Then if you want the view enlarged even more- one more left click and it's huge. (This is with firefox browser- your results may vary.) How is this a problem?

Normal mac mouses do not have a right nor left click button.

You can press the control key to get to a new window, which is a lot of extra work wasting my time.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please allow enlarged pictures.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@ErrorsOnCoins -Luckily I live without using any Apple devices. Always something to be learned here! Thanks for the education.

@jedm said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins -Luckily I live without using any Apple devices. Always something to be learned here! Thanks for the education.

How is that possible and why would you not want the best of the best?

Hmmmm may want to move that discussion to the** PCOS ** (Professional Computer Operating Systems) FORUM> :o

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 10:45AM

@Insider2 said:

@grote15 said:

You could actually RESEARCH both die state and authenticity of coins with the larger images. In the 1970s we often would need to wait for a major coin show, a trip to a museum, or ship a coin off to a consultant when we received particular coins to certify. Unfortunately, in a very short time, it became apparent that some famous consultants knew less than we did! That made it necessary for us ALWAYS to see a comparison coin in-hand.

Before the change, the PCGS images were like a trip to the museum, a great aid to coin authentication and ALWAYS my go-to first stop. Now, a little less so.

You can still enlarge pics very easily by simply right clicking the image to open a new window.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Insider2 said:

@grote15 said:

You can still enlarge pics very easily by simply right clicking the image to open a new window.

I think the problem is that most people will never realize this.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

You can press the control key to get to a new window, which is a lot of extra work wasting my time.

My MAC mouse right clicks.

GrandAm :)
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's three clicks per image. Not much fun with a long thread with many images. I hope PCGS will fix this.

Larry

@MFeld said:

@Insider2 said:

@mannie gray said:

@ricko said:

I agee. Did you finally correct the white color balance in your images, but I missed it?😉

No, anything I wish folks to see should be obvious in any shade except black. :)

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

They just don't have separate buttons... you should still be able to right and left click though.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 7:05PM

This is an intensely visual hobby and any coin website should allow for high-resolution photos.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Firefox, I right click then view image to see full size...

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I believe what you are saying is that in the PCGS Forum,
    the hosted images no longer have a "zoom" or "view full size" option.

Using Chrome, I can click on a hosted photo and "Open image in new tab"
    to see the full size version. Of course, then I often see only a small part of it.
    Depending on your browser, you might have more options for resizing?

On other parts of the PCGS website, like PCGS CoinFacts and TrueView, there are options for zoom / view full size.

Using Chrome, I can click on a hosted photo and "Open image in new tab" That worked for me
    Thanks

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file