Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does the 1909 Mint Set with Gold have the most coins for any year mint set at 29?

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2019 8:23AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I wanted to make a 1909 mint set w/ gold and some bills ($5, $10, $20) but am just now realizing how many stinking coins there are. Not to mention the national bank notes of the time... Seems there are at least 1,000 different ways to put something like that together.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/mint-sets/mint-sets/1909-mint-set-gold/composition/754

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

1873 might give it a run for its money if you include the close and open 3s.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

1875 will best that with the AW/BW dimes. Toss in the S/CC dollar and you are at 32 coins. Too bad many of the gold in this year are so difficult.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

For type, yes. With varieties, maybe not.

thefinn
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

1873 is definitely the king of the one-year collections!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 11:10AM

2009 MInt set has 36 coins!!! That's without counting (do you want to?) any of the Silver & Gold Eagles. That also doesn't include any proof coins with the composition difference as you can also do the dime, quarters and half in silver. As a one year collection, 2009 has a LOT of stuff.

Then again, it's modern.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file