Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rim to rim die crack?

Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious about this penny. Rim to rim die rack. Do die cracks usually go all the way across? Thanks for any help

Comments

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an example of a bisecting die crack, rim to rim.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    Here is an example of a bisecting die crack, rim to rim.

Thank you for sharing! Wasn’t for sure.

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks as a rule don't always go all the way across the obverse or reverse. But they can and do sometimes.

I personally like coins struck from Very Late Die States (VLDS) with bisecting cracks. This photo illustrates a heavy bisecting die break on the reverse of a very rare early silver dollar from my collection, a 1798 B-5, BB-93 Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle Dollar. This die break you can see without a glass.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes they get really, really severe like this one, owned by BrokenCC in Carson City,

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 9:55AM

I can't see anything in the OP's super small photos now available at your local PCGS forum.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really difficult to see in the OP... I see both ends, but cannot see the middle...picture will not enlarge... probably there though... Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might just be two radial die cracks. One of the two 1922 cent reverses with the radial crack at 11 o’clock through the O of OF has an unrelated radial crack at 2 o’clock.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Curious about this penny. Rim to rim die rack. Do die cracks usually go all the way across? Thanks for any help

I’m probably not seeing the pic correctly, but, a crack on the die would appear as a filled/built-up “line” on the coin as the metal is pressed into the crack(s) of the die.

The crack on the OP’s cent appears as an open crevice, i.e., the coin is/has been “cracked.”

Maybe too much food and half asleep.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one has a rim to rim die crack on the obverse.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's interesting. I did not recall the CW stoty about a broken Morgan, but I do recall the one about the extreme offcenter Morgan that was sent out and received by a non-collector, if I recall correctly.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a bust half with die cracks, rim-to-rim, along with some other fun ones.
    Lance.

@lkeigwin said:
    Here's a bust half with die cracks, rim-to-rim, along with some other fun ones.
    Lance.

Bust half can you explain? Very new to coin collecting

@Hemispherical said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:

I’m probably not seeing the pic correctly, but, a crack on the die would appear as a filled/built-up “line” on the coin as the metal is pressed into the crack(s) of the die.

The crack on the OP’s cent appears as an open crevice, i.e., the coin is/has been “cracked.”

Maybe too much food and half asleep.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shown this one in other threads but here it is again. A crack from the E in STATES to the E in FIVE and also has a crack from the eagle's neck to the edge of the eagle's wing.

Here's the obverse, it has a crack from the bottom of the bun to the center of the curl on the neck.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep - happens with branch mint gold also...

Got Crust....y gold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file