Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1890 PR64 Liberty Nickel in PCGS rattler

CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 30, 2019 8:51AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

This is a coin my great-grandfather purchased back in the 80s. I was wondering if I should try to get it regraded. There does seem to be a few flaws and I'm not sure if it occured pre or post encapsulation. There are some light milk spots around the wreath and when zoomed in with the camera dark spots on liberty's face become visible.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this would straight grade, upgrade or down grade?
The cert # is 2076624

Edited for corrections @TomB
More images
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mycoinfacts/3888/2701485

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way you are using the terms "reholder" and "regrade" is a little sloppy, in my opinion. For a reholder, the coin is not graded again and cannot downgrade, upgrade or bag. It simply receives a new holder. For a regrade in holder, the coin may grade the same, upgrade, downgrade or bag, but you have downside protection on the last two options because PCGS will offer some type of settlement for the downgrading or bagging of the coin. If you were to crack the coin out of the holder and send it to PCGS raw then all bets would be off.

Proof coinage is notoriously difficult to grade from images, but in my opinion the coin is either accurately graded or is overgraded. Truly, the vintage rattler holder might be the strongest selling point if the coin were ever sold and might make it quite a bit more liquid than if it were in a new holder.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CollectorBonEZ ....I agree with @TomB....and if it were mine, I would keep it as is.....Cheers, RickO

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of changing holders without a good reason. TomB said it well.

Larry