Home Sports Talk
Options

Garoppolo vs. Brady.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at these two players today through the prism of hindsight, could getting rid of the former have been a mistake for the Patriots?? There is no doubt that Tom Brady was the better QB when the deal was made but it certainly appears that Jimmy Garoppolo may be the better QB right now. And, it goes without saying that he will also be the better QB down the road.

One thing that screws with everything is that who could have known how Garoppolo would develop, we only knew he was pretty good but never saw his full potential. Also, when the decision was made to get rid of Tom Brady in lieu of his backup I think Patriots fans would have burned Gillette Stadium to the freakin' ground and lynched anyone involved.

Heroes are hard to make and they die even harder. Tom Brady will have books written about him and statues erected in his honor. I just wonder how the New England offense would be today with Jimmy G. at the helm.

Just idle thoughts, guys, don't crucify me!! o:)

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we won a Super a Bowl I agree with the decision, we couldn’t afford to keep Garoppolo anyways and the kid wanted to start so it was financially and morally the best decision since Brady was not going away anytime soon during that time frame.

• Options

yes, I agree, but events of this season have caused me to look through that prism. a good friend often cautions me not to speculate on things, but JG was good when he played in New England so I wonder how they would have been with him during last season.

another thing to consider, what could the Patriots have gotten for Brady?? it makes me think about when Manning went to Denver and the way he transformed that Team for a few years.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone here posted that Tom Brady is over the hill and now a disappointment. I tried to find the post to answer but couldn’t find it.

At any rate, I don’t you think that you can judge Brady by the past two weeks or this season for that matter. First, aside from Julian Edelman, Brady does not have much in the way of reliable receivers to use. The current crop is at best mediocre. They don’t get open, and they have too many drops. Second the offensive line is not what it has been. They have not protected him well. Third Brandy does not have great running back support. Sony Michel has been only one who has had any consistency.

You can’t judge Brady by yesterday’s performance. The wind and rain were awful, and no one could have put up big numbers under those conditions.

As for Garoppolo, he is a much younger player who seems to have come into his own this season. Prior to this, he has seemed to be injury prone. He missed almost all of last season. He looked good in the two games he played with the Patriots during Brady’s suspension, but then he got hurt at that time also. At the time the Pats let him go, it seemed like reasonable move.

Remember the case of Carson Wentz. In 2017 he looked like the next league super star. Then he hurt his knee, and he has never been the same. Quarterbacks are like baseball pitchers. Durability and brains are what counts. You don’t get to be a GOAT based a couple of seasons

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019 3:00PM

I can't see Garoppolo having anywhere near the success of Tom Brady. No, the Patriots haven't scored as much as they're used to scoring the past few games, yet they still manage to win. They have a record of 10-1 this season, and Tom Brady is frustrated. That says a lot about how much he wants to win. That's what makes him the GOAT. Not only does he want to win, he wants to destroy. That kind if desire to win rubs off on the players around him. That kind of desire has built the greatest dynasty in NFL history.

Sincerely,
    doubledragon

• Options

Brady has a stable of young unknown WR’s save Edelman we can’t forget that, not to mention a line that was missing its best LT so that with the rain was not going to help him have a statistically good night against the Cowboys last night, but with a healthy Sanu and an emerging trust with Jakobi Meyers he might be ok down the stretch, the rookie Harry flashed a great catch but that was about it. The problem I see is which is a concern is Brady’s throws and some decisions haven’t been “Brady like” he has hung some receivers out to dry a few times. It’s tough to tell given the current situation but like I said in another thread if Trent Dilfer can win it behind a strong Defense then Brady can too. No I don’t think we have a Super Bowl calibre Offense but it can be done.

• Options

Imagine if somehow we ended up playing the ‘49’ers in the Super Bowl? What a crazy script that would be! 😱

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is the one exception to the Patriots getting rid of players. Even if some say Kraft had to step in, doesn't matter. He will retire a Patriot and only a Patriot.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019 4:17PM

I forget when it was but when Brady went down and Jimmy G stepped in and dominated, I immediately went and bought several chrome autos gems. Hadnt really looked them up since. But I was really impressed way back then.

Will he ever be Brady? Nah. But just being Jimmy G might be good enough by his own merit.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019 4:42PM

i get why the comparison is warranted, but lest anyone forgets how good a ridiculous defense can make a quarterback look. remember the Bears last season? was anyone talking about just how much Trubisky sucks? nope, bc it was concealed by the guys on the other side of the ball. this year the Bears' D isn't quite as good and now he has nowhere to hide. he's forced to make more plays and he simply can't do it.

Jimmy G is a middle-of-the-road QBR guy playing on a 10-1 team that has an absurd defense. anyone see the game last night? they rushed 4 all night long and made Aaron Rodgers look like he needed to move on to the next phase of his career. trust me, those abridged drives by the other team help Jimmy G's cause. it forces the opposing defense to be on the field an inordinate amount of time, thereby wearing them down and loosening them up for Garoppolo to do his thing. if he was on the Bengals, this thread would cease to exist.

i'm not saying the Niners are winning in spite of him. i'm not even saying he is a game manager. i actually think he's a competent quarterback. but i think it's important to avoid taking a myopic approach to how good this guy is and doing things like comparing him to Tom Brady, because TB has in large part done more with less, as opposed to less with more.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Still glad to have Brady leading the team, even though he is not what he was physically. His stats last night against Dallas were not great but considering the weather, wind, and number of dropped passes, he threw well. His mental toughness and clutch throwing, particularly come playoff time, is still tough to beat. I like our chances for a Super Bowl appearance this year even with O-line issues, WR injuries, no Gronk, especially if we have home field. Enjoy watching Jimmy G. develop and certainly wonder would of been?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take Brady for the short haul and JG for the long haul.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

So would have all of us in NE but unfortunately there was no way that was happening, it almost caused a major disruption since Kraft was absolutely against getting rid of Brady and I think a Belichick wanted Jimmy G. Not 100% sure how accurate that is but it was a rumor

• Options

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

So would have all of us in NE but unfortunately there was no way that was happening, it almost caused a major disruption since Kraft was absolutely against getting rid of Brady and I think a Belichick wanted Jimmy G. Not 100% sure how accurate that is but it was a rumor

Brady is still getting the job done, but everybody (including Pat's fans) realize that he is in the twilight of his career.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Brady is still getting the job done, but everybody (including Pat's fans) realize that he is in the twilight of his career.

100% and I’m thinking he seriously will not be in a Pats uniform next season

• Options

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I would hate to see him on another team. He should retire a Patriot.

• Options

I think a Belichick wanted Jimmy G. Not 100% sure how accurate that is but it was a rumor

that would be the long term approach he'd take. one aspect of Belichick is his attention to detail and discipline. he is a deep thinker and entertains ideas that most Coaches don't, looks at aspects of the game that most don't. given the success that Belichick has had with "HIS" system it is almost shocking that someone who has worked under him hasn't adopted it somewhere else.

I will make a bold prediction, that Belichick will surprise everyone with his next QB protege. remember, he got a stumble-bum from Michigan that noone wanted in the 6th round, right??

• Options

@keets said:
    I think a Belichick wanted Jimmy G. Not 100% sure how accurate that is but it was a rumor

that would be the long term approach he'd take. one aspect of Belichick is his attention to detail and discipline. he is a deep thinker and entertains ideas that most Coaches don't, looks at aspects of the game that most don't. given the success that Belichick has had with "HIS" system it is almost shocking that someone who has worked under him hasn't adopted it somewhere else.

I will make a bold prediction, that Belichick will surprise everyone with his next QB protege. remember, he got a stumble-bum from Michigan that noone wanted in the 6th round, right??

I agree with most of this, but Brady was NOT a stumble-bum at Michigan.

• Options

Sportswriters are talking about Tua being around at #31 which I don’t believe but if he is they say the Pats will take him. Not sure about that but who knows. I do think Brady will skip town though, it’s all over his face that he is not happy with the offense.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Sportswriters are talking about Tua being around at #31 which I don’t believe but if he is they say the Pats will take him. Not sure about that but who knows. I do think Brady will skip town though, it’s all over his face that he is not happy with the offense.

Brady leaving New England would be a complete shame.

• Options

I heard a report about TuaTag this afternoon and they compared his injury to someone I can't remember, and it wasn't favorable. depending on how he recovers and works out before the Draft he may fall quite a bit.

his injury is way more serious than we have been led to believe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tua is done , its Ovah !

• Options

Wasn't it inspiring the way AAAron Rodgers shouldered the blame for the loss? Oh wait that didn't happen he threw everyone else under the bus , what a bag of douche

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I heard a report about TuaTag this afternoon and they compared his injury to someone I can't remember, and it wasn't favorable. depending on how he recovers and works out before the Draft he may fall quite a bit.

Some in the media likened his injury to that of Bo Jackson's.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@keets said:

well we should ask Bo then cause...................................... :#

• Options
    edited November 25, 2019 11:00PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I would hate to see him on another team. He should retire a Patriot.

Since they still retain the draft rights and coming off a world series run, i'd like to see him in a nationals (expos) jersey for a very brief stint. maybe hurl an inning or two from the mound. i'd go see that game. a patriot>national has a nice ring to it.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@keets said:

and Bo knows injuries.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@keets said:

It's the same injury/condition as Bo. Except Bo didn't get it fixed right away and ruined his hip. Brett Favre has the same thing and managed to play a game or two.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@keets said:

It's the same injury/condition as Bo. Except Bo didn't get it fixed right away and ruined his hip. Brett Favre has the same thing and managed to play a game or two.

ya but brett became a drug addict

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@keets said:

There’s something about Mary.

• Options

@artee said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Tabe said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@keets said:

There’s something about Mary.

How'd you get the beans above the frank?

• Options

.......................and Jimmy is still in hunt!! :p

• Options

@keets said:
    .......................and Jimmy is still in hunt!! :p

Only because he was in San Fran. If he was QB’ing the Pats this year they would have finished 8-8 I bet

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's not get our panties in a bunch here about Garoppolo being the better quarterback. He's going to have to win 6 rings before he can even be mentioned in the same breath as Tom Brady.

• Options

the sole point of the thread is that in the long haul, yes, Garoppolo is the better QB and would have been the wiser choice of the two long term. he may even have won the SB that Brady did after he was released. also, maybe it would be a good idea to let go of the notion that Brady wasn't to good this year because the Pat's Team wasn't that good. thinking like that means he was as good as he was for the same reason, because the Team was really good.

logically, if you think it through you can't have it both ways.

watching them both play this season I would rather have JG, he offers more right now, Brady is on the downhill side of a stellar career. why is that so hard to admit??

• Options

@keets said:
    the sole point of the thread is that in the long haul, yes, Garoppolo is the better QB and would have been the wiser choice of the two long term. he may even have won the SB that Brady did after he was released. also, maybe it would be a good idea to let go of the notion that Brady wasn't to good this year because the Pat's Team wasn't that good. thinking like that means he was as good as he was for the same reason, because the Team was really good.

logically, if you think it through you can't have it both ways.

watching them both play this season I would rather have JG, he offers more right now, Brady is on the downhill side of a stellar career. why is that so hard to admit??

It’s hard to admit because he just QB’ed them to the 3 consecutive Super Bowls!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2020 6:35PM

Just getting to a Super Bowl is an almost impossible task, even for teams that have the most gifted QBs. I'm talking whether young or old, pocket or runner or both, HOF caliber or just huge numbers gunslinger. Most teams just always fall short.

But there is one QB, still in the NFL, who has shown that he has the ability to help his team complete this almost impossible task far more often and more frequently than anyone else in the history of the NFL. He has also demonstrated his ability to win Super Bowls,even when facing great odds (28-3).

I'll take him.

That's my Quarterback.

Edited for duplicate word.