Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help! on nickels to look for. Searching for errors and pretty much everything worth keeping.

Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure that there are any neat nickels after, say, 1955 or so. There are some mildly doubled or tripled die proofs, but I don't think there is anything in business strikes that are worthwhile. Now,when you get before '56, there's the '55 D/s, many re-punched mm's, and other interesting things. I wouldn't think you find too many pre '58 nickles in rolls anymore though.....

• Options

@thebeav said:
    I'm not sure that there are any neat nickels after, say, 1955 or so. There are some mildly doubled or tripled die proofs, but I don't think there is anything in business strikes that are worthwhile. Now,when you get before '56, there's the '55 D/s, many re-punched mm's, and other interesting things. I wouldn't think you find too many pre '58 nickles in rolls anymore though.....

I found 10 50s my first 8 rolls and a buffalo :). Thanks for the input! 42 more too go

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As recommended above, the Cherry Pickers Guide is a great resource... will list the known errors etc for nickels and other coins you may become interested in...Great resource.... Meanwhile, keep searching, you may find a discovery coin...Good luck...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    As recommended above, the Cherry Pickers Guide is a great resource... will list the known errors etc for nickels and other coins you may become interested in...Great resource.... Meanwhile, keep searching, you may find a discovery coin...Good luck...Cheers, RickO

Thank you!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2019 8:15PM

Here's a great example of a famous nickel that's been hunted down for a long time. Worth seeking for. Here's why;

$3000+$$$$$$
    This is just ONE example! Many others. Buffalo or Jefferson
    How 'bout the 1913 "V" Nickel? Forget it, out of this league. LOL

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The record for this variety was set in Nov, 2007 when a PCGS MS64 was sold for 316,250 at auction. It's one of two moderate to major doubled dies I've never cherried, the other being this 1915-

• Options

In the Buffalo 5c series, my specialty, that is.

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another great one to look for....1913 type one three and one half legged buffalo

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Here is another great one to look for....1913 type one three and one half legged buffalo

That’s a beautiful coin.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only advice, based on experience, is that if you are going to search nickels, try to buy them by the box ($100) or whatever lesser quantity you can afford or find.

The secret is quantity. Write down any key varieties you want to look for and then just tear through the rolls. Look for errors, older coins, buffalos, and any specific dates you want to scrutinize for varieties. Do not micro-examine every other coin.

If you get a roll or box of new nickels then look for errors. I found a super-rare error in a box of new nickels.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always have trouble finding the 58P roll searching. Save them. Have a similar issue with the 43s and 39d.

• Options

This website has just about all the doubled dies known for Buffs and Jeffs.

http://www.varietyvista.com/

• Options
    edited November 30, 2019 2:36PM

Something found today in roll searching. At the end of roll too.

I cant even remember when I found an 35% silver Nickel in roll searching? Pretty clean for over 75 yrs. old! <3

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I always have trouble finding the 58P roll searching. Save them. Have a similar issue with the 43s and 39d.

I received a nice 1952P in change the other day.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your efforts shall be enhanced with your purchase of both CPG's, cent- nickel in one, dime and up in the other. Knowledge is power. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:
    Thanks for any info.

Cherrypickers’ Guide is a very good reference.

There is also a list in the back of each CPG - one or two pages each. Saves a ton of time.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

The toughies for me : 38-S, 39-D, 50-D, 50, 51-S, 55, 58.
    I have yet to find a 39-D or 50-D and I think I have only found one 38-S.
    War nickels are tough, but seem to show up in mini-clusters.

• Options

Been looking for this one! Thousands of nickels, nothing yet!

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Something found today in roll searching. At the end of roll too.

I cant even remember when I found an 35% silver Nickel in roll searching? Pretty clean for over 75 yrs. old! <3

I find more buffaloes than silver here in Michigan

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2019 2:02PM

A Very “under the radar” coin, possibly some still remain in circulation. The Henning Counterfeit, most common dated 1944 without the P mintmark. Also, all genuine 1944 nickels Are wartime silver composition. The Henning is basically the same composition as the regular nickel, but fractionally heavier. Whether this added weight would cause a “coinstar reject” I do not know, but something to consider :-).

• Options

It's funny you mentioned this. I was hoping my '44p was the rare one. Not the counterfeit you mentioned but the wrong metal. The reg. or normal one weighs 5.0 Grms. This is what mine weighed.5.0.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    A Very “under the radar” coin, possibly some still remain in circulation. The Henning Counterfeit, most common dated 1944 without the P mintmark. Also, all genuine 1944 nickels Are wartime silver composition. The Henning is basically the same composition as the regular nickel, but fractionally heavier. Whether this added weight would cause a “coinstar reject” I do not know, but something to consider :-).

Are Hennings known dated 1947?

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

1939, 1944, 1947 And 1953

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_nut1977 said:

Been looking for this one! Thousands of nickels, nothing yet!

If you live in Texas, you may have a chance, otherwise, give up the search for this one ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file