Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS hosts a Fabulous Exhibition of Flying Eagle and Indian Cents at FUN 2020

The #1 Registry Set of Indian Cents with Varieties assembled by Douglas M. Wright Jr.
The # 5 Registry Set of Indian Cents with Varieties assembled by Stewart Blay

The#1 Registry Set of Flying Eagle Cents with Varieties assembled by Stewart Blay
The #3 Registry Set of Flying Eagle Cents with Varieties assembled by Douglas M. Wright Jr.

Also on display will be the 3 Finest collections of Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Patterns

The #1 Registry Set assembled by Douglas Wright Jr.
The #2 Registry Set assembled by Mark Hagen/Boiler 78
The #3 Registry Set assembled by Stewart Blay

Some of the Highlights will be:

1856 S-3 Ms 66 Flying Eagle - the finest known
1858 Large Letters MS 66+ blazing original luster
1858 Small Letters MS 66+ one of the finest and highest graded

1860 pointed bust Indian Cent MS 67+ - the finest known
1865 plain 5 MS 66+ red - the Finest known
1864 L MS 66+ red - finest known
1869 MS 66+ red - highest graded
1870 MS 66 + red - highest graded
1873 Closed 3 Double Liberty MS 64 red - the only known red example
1877 MS 66+ red “ The Golden Princess” finest known key date
1888/7 MS 64 R/B - finest known and very scarce variety

And many more finest knowns

Also on display will be the Set Registry examples of the 12 piece short Set
Of Flying Eagle and Indian Cents

J 192 Flying Eagle Pr 66 Cameo - finest known
J 202 small Eagle PR 66 finest known
J 211 Indian Cent PR 66 finest known

Also on Display will be the finest known examples of the dateless Flying Eagle and Indian Cent Prototypes

J 178 (1856) copper nickel PR 64 Flying Eagle
J 179 (1856) bronze MS 65 R/B 75% red Flying Eagle
J 214 (1858) copper nickel PR 62 Indian Cent

All at the PCGS Booth

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedCopper ....Welcome aboard.... And thanks for the information... I look forward to show reports that have pictures of these coins/sets. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

I love copper, and I will be at FUN. I'm looking forward to seeing these. Thanks for the heads-up.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Copper - Isn't that the name of Blay's set...........sounds familiar........couldn't be him.......caps lock wasn't on. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collectors have great sets. I look forward to seeing them.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

Man - just reviewed the Wright set - amazing collection, the non-varieties carrying the day for the IHC w/major varieties set. Can't wait to see it and the Boiler78 patterns.

I'm assuming Wrights 1888/7 is my former coin as it's Pop. 1 - not pictured in the registry. I'll post it here for those that might be interested.

I'm impressed with Blay's staying power and dedication to the IHC and FE sets - impressive, to say the least. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait to see (for the first time) the 1873 Double LIBERTY MS64RD. Also the 1877 MS66+RD (should be 67RD) "Golden Princess."

The 1888/7 was ex: Castle/Lakesammman. When Doug walked into the auction room at the ANA sale, it was clear what he was there for and that no one else was going to be able to buy it. He was largely uncontested and got it for about 1/2 its true value.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!!
    Can't wait.

• Options

Seeing Blay's "Indian Princess" is worth the trip to FUN all by itself! :+1:

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will certainly take a look while I am there. :)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2019 9:37AM

@Lakesammman said:
    I'm assuming Wrights 1888/7 is my former coin as it's Pop. 1 - not pictured in the registry. I'll post it here for those that might be interested.

amazing coin variety. wow.

do you happen to know why pcgs coin number 2169 is $95k in 63bn when the 2170/37544 is just $85 in 64rb? wild auction results skewing listed values? not to sidetrack the thread from what will be an astonishing event.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Can't wait to see these amazing sets in person!! <3<3<3

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to stop driving the Mustang and post the Bal'mer report.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! I wish that was the case Rick! I had fully intended to do a show report and took lots of pictures but I didn’t get home until Sunday (I usually fly home Saturday and begin the show report on Sundays). And I’ve been having technical difficulties getting the photos from my phone to my computer and didn’t have time to figure out the problem because I had to do a lot of usual post-show work when I got home. Then I left for the Las Vegas show which ran through the weekend.

I'm going to try and put a report together and post it before Thanksgiving!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize for not seeing this when it first posted. We have a great exhibit for the show with some truly rare and beautiful coins. For instance, in addition to many single finest coins, we have for viewing:

MS67RD's - 43
    MS66RD's - 61

1864 Bronze 2 of 3 graded ms67, none higher
    1869 - 4 of 7 graded MS66 and 66+ (2 regular and 2 S-3 RPD each)
    1876 - Both pop 1 MS66+ and pop 1 MS67, none higher
    1878 - 2 of 3 graded 66+ or higher
    1880 - 2 of 3 graded MS67 or higher
    1882 - Both pop 1 MS66+ and pop 1 MS67, none higher
    1884 - 2 of 3 graded MS67 or higher
    1892 - 2 of 4 graded MS66+ or higher
    1897 - 2 of 3 graded MS67 or higher

As you all know, Stewart's coins do not take a back seat to anyone and I'm glad he has started upgrading the holders to reflect the true quality of the coins. We have compared dates one to one at various times, but never the entire set - coin by coin. There have been some good times had through the years, starting with the very first Indian Head Cent Showdown in Long Beach. I was just starting to put together a high grade set at the time and was stunned at the grouping of the three sets. I remember standing there too when a seemingly random guy walked up and pulled out a box with a fourth set of equal quality! He has passed away since, but we refer to his collection as the "Blackberry Collection."

In that spirit, I would hope another collector or two will bring their sets to the show and force another showdown!

There will also be plenty of Flying Eagles and 3 rare 1858 12 piece pattern sets. Please come by and visit!

Doug
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will check it out.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing these.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my better coins are not photo'd, but here are a few:

The doubled date:

The Hawaiian Princess: