Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

McDonalds and Kenney Halves

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treated one of my kids after practice to an ice cream at McDonalds tonight. I paid with some Kennedy halves and the clerk asked me if, "Are these supposed to be 50 cents each?" I replied by asking if he had ever seen one and the answer was unfortunately no. Fortunately for me there was little debate as to the value and I got the ice cream without incident.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like there was an incident at a Taco Bell years ago when someone tried paying with SBAs or Sacs.

peacockcoins

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a 22 yom that took quite a few silver coins, .50 & $1.00 & and other silver coins that were white and toned, tried to pay at a convenience store, they would not take it saying he had counterfeit money. There was a older guy in looked at the money told the boy he would give him .25 cents for the silver coins and he sold him about $5000 worth of silver.

Ken
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Try paying with Ikes - great fun!

I did that already! That cashier was so excited to get them that the almost forgot to give me change!

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

About ten years ago, my dad tried to pay for a pizza at Pizza Hut with presidential dollars. The cashier was confused by them, so she asked her manager what they were. The manager said they were presidential dollars. The cashier then proceeded to say, “oh, so they’re 50 cents then?”

At least my dad didn’t get arrested!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the great majority of young people, numismatic related coins are not on the radar. They have never seen them and never used them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a manager of a national Aussie restaurant chain (I won't name it) threaten to call the cops when I paid with two dollar bills. It was hilarious, but my wife was more than upset we just couldn't get out of there quick enough! Fortunately during the "discussion" with the manager an off duty cop that was waiting to be seated came forward and explained that the $2 is legal tender in all 50 states.....
    It was a good meal.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I remember a lady tried to use an old 1934 $100 to pay for items at Wal-Mart, she was quickly arrested for trying to pass counterfeit currency. She was released with full apology from the police & Wal-Mart. :D

Call Saul.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:
    Seem to recall hearing of some incident where a school kid tired to pay for his school lunch with a $2 bill....and got in more trouble than if he had just tried to steal it. :neutral:

A few years back, I think in Maryland, some guy tried using $2 bills and got arrested. I'll be he has way more $100 bills now.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

The arrest of the little girl who tried to pay for her lunch with a $2 bill happened in 2016 at the Christa McAuliffe Middle School in Houston Texas.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/962796/8th-graders-2-bill-sparks-police-investigation/p1

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

The majority of people don't know what they have when they have silver coins or old paper money, they think you are paying with counterfeit money. 😀

Ken
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outback!

@AUandAG said:
    I had a manager of a national Aussie restaurant chain (I won't name it) threaten to call the cops when I paid with two dollar bills. It was hilarious, but my wife was more than upset we just couldn't get out of there quick enough! Fortunately during the "discussion" with the manager an off duty cop that was waiting to be seated came forward and explained that the $2 is legal tender in all 50 states.....
    It was a good meal.
    bob :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a Gadsden patch yesterday
    and used Presidential dollars...nothing more than a 'look' (they don't like them)...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to pay my $2.65 Mass Turnpike toll with 2 sacs, a half, dime and nickel. At the time, the Boston Globe published a story that some the toll collectors were making over $100K/yr with OT. I figured at that wage, they should know what's legal tender and be able to find a place for them in the cash drawer.

Was recently back in MA and noticed that there are no more toll collectors.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    TroyWTroyW Posts: 42 ✭✭

Yup I have had the same issue with people not knowing what a Kennedy half is and having to have the manager tell the clerk the coins are real.

• Options
    TroyWTroyW Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 11:03AM

Hey Fred you forgot last week...

Last week - uhhh huha.. that counterfeit, I'm calling the cops uhh huha...as he looks back down at his phone

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Aussie chain from Jacksonville, FL?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can relate to that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file