Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1884 cent with overstamped name

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if this name on this Cent has any special meaning or has any special value?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 10:46PM

People collect these "countermarked" coins, and this one is listed in Brunk as a known countermark.
    So yes, it adds value, relative to a coin with similar damage that is not a countermark.
    It can be fun to look at the history of the person who added the countermark, when possible.
    http://richhartzog.com/art/cmc.htm

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin show find? Or at your LCS? Some collect these counterstamps, they do have value. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a good buddy in high school named Jesse Lee. I wonder how he's doing today... haven't thought of him in years.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Coin show find? Or at your LCS? Some collect these counterstamps, they do have value. Cheers, RickO

thanks everyone.
    No, not a coin show find.
    Purchased a small collection of Canadian , British and other nations coin. The lady just wanted to have this coin box out of here home.
    About 100 $ worth of british Silver and some copper, dating back to 1706.
    this UScent was mixed in with the 1/2 penny coins.there was also a Irish Bank token 1813 and a US 50 ct 1935D in about VF.
    What kind of price tag can I attach if selling in BST forum?
    I guess a lucky find all together. Seems to be a good two weeks for lucky finds....More on the other later in another forum as these were Canadian coins...a treasure and some even luckier and rare finds.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file