Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question on Pattern "coins"

Are pattern coins "denominated" US currency? And if they're not officially denominated currency, can we still call them "coins" or are they in fact something more like are medals or tokens?

Comments

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll probably get plenty of other opinions....

But to me, "pattern coins" are a different category than circulating coins. But the simple term "pattern" is enough to set them apart. No need to refer to them as medals or tokens.

Afterall, they were designed and created as "coins"....so, coins they are!(?)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since they were never officially monetized they really aren't official "coins". Some are actually government made fantasy pieces struck strictly for collectors. Maybe we should just be satisfied with calling them "patterns"? Even then there is the problem of what to call privately issued "patterns".

I think I just made this worse ...

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have always been called patterns.... they were trials that may have become coins....Just keep the terminology. Cheers, RickO

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I'm concerned, patterns are a sub-category of "coins", not a separate category. One could argue that it shouldn't be that way, or even that it isn't that way, but the actual usage of the words between numismatists is on my side.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patterns cover a range of coin types. Great educational source uspatterns.com

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 10:29PM

Patterns generally fall into 2 categories:

• "prototype coins" - items that are used in the process to create real, legal tender coinage
    • "fantasy coins" - items that were made for no other reason than to sell to collectors

Prototype coins are precursor to coins so they can be included with the general coins category even though they aren't fully fledged coins, kind of of like coins that never made it all the way.

Fantasy coins are also not legal tender and made to sell to collectors. There are actually more fantasy coins classified as patterns than prototype coins.

The biggest issue with the way "patterns" is used as a term is that the term is supposed to represent coins used to test design and materials for production but the most number of pieces are actually fantasy pieces made to sell to collectors. I wish the fantasy pieces were classified differently.

@Zoins said:

The biggest issue with the way "patterns" is used as a term is that the term is supposed to represent coins used to test design and materials for production but the most number of pieces are actually fantasy pieces made to sell to collectors. I wish the fantasy pieces were classified differently.

I’m with you in spirit, but there are too many coins that cannot be classified definitively.

Andy Lustig

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 4:39AM

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

I’m with you in spirit, but there are too many coins that cannot be classified definitively.

Do you know how many cannot be classified definitively there are compared to those that can?

@Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:

@Zoins said:

Do you know how many cannot be classified definitively there are compared to those that can?

Best guess is well over 5% of the series can’t be categorized with certainty. And even if it could be done, it wouldn’t present well in a catalog. For example, consider how you might list a 100% “legitimate” pattern, and off-metal strikes, edge variants, mules and restrikes from the same dies.

Andy Lustig

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pattern coin can be a "coin" without being "money." Trade dollars were still coins even during the decades when they were demonetized.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file