Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Redfield 1887-S Morgan MS65 with color - Keep as is or crack and submit??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any opinions??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep as is ;)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as is, the only reason I would is if the coin is toning rapidly in that holder. The edge tone is quite dark and if that is moving towards the center of the coin then it might be best to remove it from the Redfield holder

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

More valuable, and interesting, as is.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 65. If you crack that will make mine more valuable!! Go for it!

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The current "market" probably says keep it as is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

I would not crack that one, a lot of the history is lost without being in the original holder. The “other guys” will grade them in the holder, if your looking for a current market grade.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were mine, I would keep it in the current holder...but likely dip that dark tarnish off....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep it

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave as is, more valuable in the holder than cracking it out. People who collect these want the original packaging, not provenance on the slab.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see an upgrade so why crack? I think if PCGS is in a tough mood it might even 64.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t submit.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Keep it in the paramount holder, already graded 65 🤫

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly needs a dip to remove the nasty but if you crack I don't believe it would grade 65. Reverse may be 65 worthy but that obverse is a 64 at best.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning is the best part of the coin - pretty red and blues around the periphery. Better in person, I guess.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. Keep as is. It you must have a TPG grade on it, they sticker these ATS. Looks 63, maybe 64. Take care of the holder. Put it in a sleeve to keep it from getting scratched up.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer as is.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 8:55PM

It's beautiful and it's history. You should leave it be.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote to leave it as is. In the current case, it's interesting and intriguing. Out of the holder, it's just an average toner.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 8:18AM

A lot of these redfield holders got cracked open in the past because there was no premium for the holder.Not the case these days.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it as is. Here's mine too.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file