Home Metal Detecting
Options

Most People Don’t Know: The SIXTH Treasure that's Hiding In Massachusetts

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most People Don’t Know: The SIXTH Treasure that's Hiding In Massachusetts

Sunken Treasure Of The Whydah

In 1717, the pirate vessel Whydah sank off the coast of Wellfleet with plunder from 50 ships on board. Explorer Barry Clifford discovered the wreck site in 1984 and has since pulled up 200,000 artifacts, including gold ornaments, sword handles, even a boy's leg. It is the only authenticated pirate shipwreck in America. However, recently discovered Colonial-era documents suggest that the Whydah raided two vessels in the weeks before it sank and that 400,000 gold coins are still unaccounted for. Recent expeditions have revealed evidence of gold matter in the area, but the trove has not been discovered yet.

Beneath the waters of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, the sea floor is laden with gold, like the streets of heaven, only a bit more macabre. An estimated 400,000 silver and gold coins are submerged within its black waters. Meanwhile, tools, jewelry, weapons and a young boy’s leg are strewn about the remnants of a mangled wooden carcass. This is the site of the only authenticated pirate shipwreck to date. It is a site ripe with legend and intrigue. Because within the murky waters rests the body of the Whydah.

The tale of the Whydah begins in the Atlantic trade triangle where the slave ship set sail on its maiden voyage, traveling the Windward passage, a strait in the Caribbean sea between Cuba and Hispaniola. The ship was being led by Captain Lawrence Prince, a former privateer under the infamous Captain Morgan. Upon the third leg of its journey, its occupants noticed two predatorial vessels speeding through its wake. One can only imagine the faces of the men aboard the ship as reminiscent of the central of figure in Edvard Munch’s The Scream and fraught with terror. The ship was subsequently conquered by two vessels, the Sultana and the Mary Ann. Amidst the oceanic mist and chaos, a man known as Black Sam made his entrance..............

more reading here from coinweek https://coinweek.com/coins/treasure-2/sunken-treasure-story-black-sam-bellamy-whydah/

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is so much wealth at the bottom of our "Old highways", I.E.: Rivers, Lakes, Canals and the mighty Seas. Lots of folks spend their fortunes looking for it. Some get lucky :)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We treasure hunters dream of finding 'the big one'. In all my years of cave exploration, every one I entered was preceded by the thoughts of finding a hidden treasure....still waiting.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have my respect exploring caves! I was in one for about half an hour with no problem when suddenly I came into a slightly tighter passage and just about completely freaked out.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote.... That can happen... I remember once in my younger years, seeing a passage beyond the one I was exploring, but accessible only by squeezing through a narrow, horizontal gap. I started through, got halfway, and thought "What if I cannot squeeze back, what if it closes with an earth tremor?" I backed out...never did explore that other passage. Cheers, RickO