Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Results of my first PCGS submission - German coin crossovers

neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 20, 2019 9:04AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I recently got back my results from my first self-submission to PCGS. I decided to send in some NGC and ANACS coins I have that would be good additions to my registry sets. I'm overall pleased with the results. Out of the 8 coins I submitted, 5 crossed at grade, and 3 crossed at a higher grade.

1) 1904-A Prussia 2 Mark Coin, PCGS MS65 (formerly ANACS MS64)
This was a coin I sent in because I thought it had a chance to upgrade, but didn't have high confidence that it would. It has nice smooth surfaces, great luster, and a fairly attractive color. There are some marks on it that I wasn't sure would restrict the grade.

2) 1951-F Germany 5 Mark, PCGS MS64+ (formerly NGC MS64)
This is an attractive coin I'd like to add to my 5 mark set. I felt it was fairly nice for an MS64 and I was happy with it, so I decided to cross it rather than pursue a nicer one raw or already in PCGS plastic. It's not top pop or particularly special, but I it's a good one.

3) 1957-J Germany 5 Mark, PCGS MS62 (formerly NGC MS62)
This is a coin that crossed at grade, which I think is fair. PCGS did a good job making the most of the situation with the Trueview because it's not the most attractive coin. Not a super rare coin itself, but a nicer example is pretty rare, so I'm settling with this one for now.

4) 1892-A German Empire 20 Pfennig, PCGS MS64 (formerly NGC MS64)
This is a type coin for me that is in a good, but not amazing grade. I see these coins in MS condition pretty rarely, much more rarely than I would expect based on the price guide values and mintage numbers. I felt that this coin would likely be MS65 if not for the spotting.

5) 1875-J German Empire 2 Pfennig, PCGS MS64BN (formerly NGC MS64BN)
Here we have a toned small eagle 2 pfennig that I crossed for my type set. I really enjoy the color. If it was not for the chatter all over I'd feel more confident that this one would be my type piece for a very long time. Granted that I have multiple other 2 pfennigs in MS63-64 and this is the one I like the best. Also, note some evidence of a die clash.

6) 1896-F German Empire 1 Mark, PCGS MS66 (formerly NGC MS66)
This one is for my 1 Mark series. I crossed it because I really liked the semi-PL look in conjunction with the light toning/original look. This is a date with a number of high grade examples already graded, but I didn't see myself wanting to replace this one for a long time, if ever.

7)1887-A German Empire 20 Pfennig, PCGS MS67 (formerly NGC MS67)
This coin is for my type set as well. It crossed at MS67, which I was nervous about because of the toning and slight haze to the luster in spots. On top of that I feel like I'm hearing about NGC MS67s that just won't cross at grade. I'm glad it did because I really think it is a peach of a coin. It's a pop 2/0 for the coin and pop 7/0 for the type.

8) 1903-A German Empire 50 Pfennig, PCGS MS64 (formerly ANACS MS63)
This coin upgrade surprised me the most. While it doesn't have any wear or much by way of marks, the roughness of the surfaces and the spotting gives it an "average uncirculated" look. I've noticed that the 1/2 Marks and the 50 Pfennigs will often suffer from these rough surfaces, harsh polishing lines, and the like. While it's not amazing, this example is characteristic of those series in that way...This is a coin I ultimately crossed because nice examples of this type are rarer and I didn't want to feel pressure to find a nicer example just yet.

My small victories from this submission will likely give me the confidence to submit some more very soon. It's funny to think that all but 1 of those coins were purchased on eBay, especially when I consistently see collectors to advise people to stay away from eBay on the US coins forum.

Here's a link to my type set: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/183047

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Comments

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome progress on your sets man! Really nice breadth of coins in this lot that really showcase why this era of coinage is so stunning. Personal favorites are the 2 Mark, 2 Pfennig, 20 Pfennig, and the 1 Mark. Really useful insight you've provided as well. I love to hear the small less known information you gave like the condition the 50 Pfennigs are commonly found in. Fascinating. Looking forward to following along in the future!

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive coins!

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clio said:
    Awesome progress on your sets man! Really nice breadth of coins in this lot that really showcase why this era of coinage is so stunning. Personal favorites are the 2 Mark, 2 Pfennig, 20 Pfennig, and the 1 Mark. Really useful insight you've provided as well. I love to hear the small less known information you gave like the condition the 50 Pfennigs are commonly found in. Fascinating. Looking forward to following along in the future!

The ubiquitous in high grade date 1918D for the 1/2 Mark suffers from the quality problems I talked about. You can still see it in the one I have in my type set. So if anyone is ever looking for a type piece, be mindful of them in that way because more likely than not you'll be looking at 1918-D coins. Even though there is ~70 coins in the series, 1/3 of the MS67/68 examples are 1918-D

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you have a great eye! Well done!