Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First time submitter question

Rktect1Rktect1 Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited November 19, 2019 12:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I mailed in 12 coins for crossover from NGC and upgrade review. 6 were NGC and 6 were Pcgs holders. When do I get notified that Pcgs has them and are in review? When will they add that as an order to my profile page?

And of course, what are my chances of getting an upgrade. Coins I submitted have been in my possession since 2005/2006. Never submitted before. Graded between ms64 and ms65. Liberty nickels.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last submission (three weeks ago) took about 7 days after my Post Office tracking number showed they were delivered to PCGS, before showing up on my orders page. Once that happened, it moved through the system pretty quickly. The grades for this raw submission were posted within 10 days.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rktect1 said:
    So I mailed in 12 coins for crossover from NGC and upgrade review. 6 were NGC and 6 were Pcgs holders. When do I get notified that Pcgs has them and are in review? When will they add that as an order to my profile page?

And of course, what are my chances of getting an upgrade. Coins I submitted have been in my possession since 2005/2006. Never submitted before. Graded between ms64 and ms65. Liberty nickels.

Thanks

Welcome @Rktect1 to the CU forums.

If you have the mobile phone app you can input the tracking to see if it is in-hand and then track the progress (received, grading, breakout, encapsulation, QC shipped.) If you do not have the app then you’ll have to log into the PCGS website and be able to the same, but you’ll be less mobile.

Up until it’s in-hand track with USPS or FEDEX or whatever mail service you used.

Note: You’ll have “crackout.”

• Options

Thanks. Great input.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your chance of an upgrade depends 10% on luck and 90% on the coins. :)

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rktect1 , please post your final outcome on this thread once you get the results, and a few photos as well, if possible.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rktect1....Welcome aboard....Let us know how your submission grades....always interesting to see upgrades/crossovers results...Cheers, RickO

• Options

I will try to get results posted when I get them back.

I was just contacted about my submission. It appears I didn’t submit exactly correctly. Crossovers should have been submitted separately. They will take care of that paper work and email me. Of course this will cost a little more but.....

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

... If you have the mobile phone app you can input the tracking to see if it is in-hand and then track the progress (received, grading, breakout, encapsulation, QC shipped.) ...

And on crossovers, "encapsulation" can mean "printing out the DNC label."

• Options

I am now "in process"

Cool, it works. I need at least three coins to upgrade to pay for this expedition. That would mean 50% of the PCGS coins. They are only crossing over the NGC coins.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2019 9:09AM

Don’t get overly disappointed if nothing upgrades. From what is heard PCGS seems to be in a “tight” mode. Regardless of outcome the only way to get better at this is by submitting coins and learning from your experiences.

• Options

So far the PCGS coins I got two upgrades from MS64 to MS65. Not bad. Still waiting on the NGC crossovers.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the grading game. Wet your feet very slowly until you correlate with the PCGS grading standards before wasting a lot of money on grading fees. My regrade % is not impressive, but my RAW coin grades have been very good. Most of the time PCGS grading opinions are spot on, but not always.

OINK

• Options
    edited December 5, 2019 4:23PM

Quick update. So I actually had 5 PCGS coins for regrade. Two graded up, three did not. Today I got the bad news. I have two separate orders. One has six NGC coins and the other one NGC coin. The single was given DNC. Here are pictures of it as MS65 by NGC. I'm bummed about this one. Its a great looking coin and definitely MS65* There is just no way this is a MS64. Not even close.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2019 4:59PM

Congrats on the two upgrades @Rktect1!

Any reason/code for the DNC for the 1901?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ownership is always worth a point.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:

Nope. Do they do that?

• Options

@Rktect1 said:

@Hemispherical said:

Nope. Do they do that?

Not usually, but seeing if there has been a change.

Sometimes the “why” can be answered by calling CS.

• Options

All of my crossovers have been reviewed. I managed 5/7 for this. Not certain it’s worth the price I paid but at least they can be added to my sets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file