Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who ever said ebay worked out a deal with Paypal is WRONG! Follow Up Posted

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2019 12:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I received my first return since Paypal said they would not refund the fees on returns. I checked and this is the case. It will be interesting to see what happens. It's bad enough covering the shipping both ways so I refunded the buyer and deducted the Paypal fees. The seller also left Positive feedback stating nice coin and returned it almost 3 weeks later saying just didn't like it. I suspect he tried to sell it and wasn't able to.

I then called ebay to see if they could see the partial refund and they said yes. I also asked if they were going to start allowing restocking fees again and of course no! I could tell from his jest they are wanting to push their payment system...which will be like Amazons which from what I understand S*cks.

Curious how folks here are going to adjust to the change. I get very few returns....I think this is my 3rd this year....but I may go to no returns if ebay doesn't allow us to recover the Paypal fees. Between covering the shipping and Paypal this cost to me would be $40.00.

Comments

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Cost of doing business?

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for a listing re-price.
    Got hit about the first day they went that way.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I received my first return since Paypal said they would not refund the fees on returns. I checked and this is the case. It will be interesting to see what happens. It's bad enough covering the shipping both ways so I refunded the buyer and deducted the Paypal fees.
    I then called ebay to see if they could see the partial refund and they said yes.

So did you get away with the partial refund? Is this the fix for paypal fees not being refunded?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 8:31PM

Add as part of restocking deduction?

If is restocking is currently at 5% change to 5+whatever%.

• Options

I just beat a SNAD on my other accout!

@ArizonaRareCoins said:
    Going to "no returns" is worthless on eBay. Buyers can return a purchased item by claiming SNAD.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 8:33PM

Regular routine for me if they make me pay return shipping for an accurately described and pictured coin. Haven't had to many yet. That's the big thing...YET> @Elliot said:

I can see a lot of buyers being blocked on Ebay if they return a coin. The people that are finicky should probably go to shows to buy their coins as they can see them first.

• Options

Time will tell...just did it today.

@derryb said:

@amwldcoin said:
    I received my first return since Paypal said they would not refund the fees on returns. I checked and this is the case. It will be interesting to see what happens. It's bad enough covering the shipping both ways so I refunded the buyer and deducted the Paypal fees.
    I then called ebay to see if they could see the partial refund and they said yes.

So did you get away with the partial refund? Is this the fix for paypal fees not being refunded?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 8:51PM

That was me and that is what eBay told me. I haven't had a return to see first hand if it works that way but that is what I was told. Issuing a partial refund may have negated the policy.

From what you say how would you get your PayPal Fee back if you already deducted it from your refund? I doubt eBay will let that stand.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

LOL, They are just hoping you don't look at your Paypal statement! Just like it takes 2 or 3 days for the return shipping to show up on your ebay account if you offer free returns!

@GRANDAM said:
    That was me and that is what eBay told me. I haven't had a return to see first hand if it works that way but that is what I was told. Issuing a partial refund may have negated the policy.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not sell on ebay or any other venue.... but this seems very unfair to sellers....I guess they pander to the buyers, however, without sellers, there would be no business....Seems they should revisit this program...JMO...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

From what you say how would you get your PayPal Fee back if you already deducted it from your refund? I doubt eBay will let that stand.

I think you were talking to a CS rep who knows nothing.

If there were an agreement between eBay and PayPal [why would there be?], don't you think that BOTH eBay and PayPal would mention it? The only thing they send out is reminders that the policy has changed. They would be bragging about how they were "serving you better" if they had such a benefit available.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@GRANDAM said:

If there were an agreement between eBay and PayPal [why would there be?], don't you think that BOTH eBay and PayPal would mention it? The only thing they send out is reminders that the policy has changed. They would be bragging about how they were "serving you better" if they had such a benefit available.

Your transaction proves nothing, it wasn’t done correctly,

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@GRANDAM said:

Your transaction proves nothing, it wasn’t done correctly,

Wrong guy. I don't have a transaction.

There is no information to this effect on PayPal or eBay. It is not in any announcements or advertising from either PayPal or eBay. So, I'll repeat: I'm pretty sure the CS rep you talked was either mistaken or misinformed.

• Options

I Just called PayPal. If a refund is issued due to a dispute that was filed thru eBay or PayPal PayPal will not keep the 2.9% fee.

Call and ask if you believe me. PayPal said this policy is in the user agreement.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 8:54AM

If you sell directly or from your web site and no dispute is filed then PayPal keeps the 2.9%

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I Just called PayPal. If a refund is issued due to a dispute that was filed thru eBay or PayPal PayPal will not keep the 2.9% fee.

Call and ask if you believe me. PayPal said this policy is in the user agreement.

Then I stand corrected, but it seems ludicrous to me that neither PayPal nor eBay has mentioned this anywhere.

• Options

Transcript of a chat with PayPal

Rikka 11:20 AM
    PayPal sent out communication in April of 2019 that PayPal will not longer refund a fees after processing a refund.
    PayPal does not charge you a fee to refund any transaction, However, we no longer refund the processing fee.
    JL
    Joseph Lanzafame 11:21 AM
    Yes. I'm aware. And that's fine. But several people have said they heard from either PayPal or eBay that there is an agreement between PayPal or eBay that bypasses this.
    Ra
    Rikka 11:22 AM
    I am not aware of any agreement of that type.
    JL
    Joseph Lanzafame 11:22 AM
    OK. Thanks

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Restocking fees are no longer an option. You may get past some buyers, but anyone who knows will report you to eBay.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

I think OPs case is slightly different as the buyer had already left positive feedback. eBay handles that differently.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options

The only thing that is clear here is that NOTHING is clear.

I find it hard to believe that I was told the same thing by two different customer service reps, one from eBay and one from PayPal if that wasn’t true. Yet another PayPal rep says they keep the 2.9% fee.

I had a return of $12 a couple weeks ago and they only refunded the purchase price, if PayPal kept 2.9% I don’t see it on my account.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    The only thing that is clear here is that NOTHING is clear.

I find it hard to believe that I was told the same thing by two different customer service reps, one from eBay and one from PayPal if that wasn’t true. Yet another PayPal rep says they keep the 2.9% fee.

I had a return of $12 a couple weeks ago and they only refunded the purchase price, if PayPal kept 2.9% I don’t see it on my account.

You wouldn't see it if you got the refund. Only the seller pays the fees.

• Options

I was the seller,,, $12 was refunded,,,,, if they refund the full $12 to the buyer wouldn’t there be a separate transaction showing they charged you back the 30 cents + 2.9%? I wasn’t charged back anything,

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I was the seller,,, $12 was refunded,,,,, if they refund the full $12 to the buyer wouldn’t there be a separate transaction showing they charged you back the 30 cents + 2.9%? I wasn’t charged back anything,

Oh. If they refunded $12, what you should see is LESS than $12 charged to you if they refunded the fee. The way it used to look on a refund (before the change) is that if I refunded a customer $10, it would show up as a $9.70 charge to me and a $0.30 PayPal reversal.

• Options

Date Type Name Payment Gross Fee Net
    Oct 30, 2019 Refund to Antonio Completed -$4.99 USD -$0.14 -$4.85

It looks like this if they ARE NOT keeping the fee.

• Options
    this was a partial refund of shipping charges to a customer, so not exactly a dispute, but this is how it looks when they ARE keeping the fee

Nov 18, 2019 Refund to AA Completed -$5.40 USD $0.00 -$5.40

• Options

Bottom line, your "NET" amount should be less than the "Gross" amount if they are refunding the fee and it should be exactly the same if they aren't

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a partial refund of $3.00 to a buyer on Nov. 7. I was not refunded the original PP fee on that $3.00.

From PayPal's User Agreement:

"If you refund a payment for goods or services, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller are not returned to you."

• Options

Well...I got away with deducting the Paypal Fees from the return. The thing is...it's exactly that...I got away with it. Obviously the buyer either didn't notice I deducted the Paypal Fees or simply accepted it.

It was obvious after talking with ebay their stance was I should refund it all. I had to wait 30 days until the return timed out and then had to call ebay to get my FVF fees refunded. I refunded the day I received the coin back. If the would have refunded the balance and taken it from me.

I noticed something else last week. On my minion account I refunded some fees for combined shipping and Paypal did refund the fees.

Either 1 of 2 things occurred.
    Only Commercial accounts are not refunded the transaction fees or Paypal has reversed it's decision on not refunding the fees. My main ebay account is tied to a commercial paypal account while my minion account is just a normal non commercial account I mainly use for buying.

Has anyone else had any returns? If so is Paypal keeping your transaction fees?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you back amwldcoin!!! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

Yes, Paypal kept my fees....Buyer had an incorrect shipping address, so to comply with seller protection, I had to refund, then have the buyer fix their address and have them rebuy the item. Mine is not a commercial account.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2019 2:38PM

I simply Consider PayPal fees Opex and incorporate into markup equation. I keep track of eBay selling costs so I know how much as pct of sales it costs me operate on eBay.

Fortunately I rarely have returns.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file