Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 Lincoln Cent tarnished?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at my Dansos and I noticed this issue on about 3 of my 2009 Lincolns. I thought just happening on the proofs but also on one of the D mints. It's silver in color. Odd color for toning if you ask me. Any ideas?


Comments

  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've had a few cents do that also, very unattractive imo.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a reaction between the thin copper layer and zinc, making brass.

    thefinn
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @thefinn said:
    Looks like a reaction between the thin copper layer and zinc, making brass.

    The 2009 mint and proof set cents were 95% copper weren't they?

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @thefinn said:
    Looks like a reaction between the thin copper layer and zinc, making brass.

    The 2009 mint and proof set cents were 95% copper weren't they?

    No, if you mean the normally packaged uncirculated sets and the normally packaged proof sets. Traditional bronze coinage was a special order(s) later in the year.

  • Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 2:46AM

    Looks like Lincoln has a serious ear infection possibly gangrene and the cabin looks ominous with a heat signature sinking into the ground.

  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes mine are also spotting up. The mint wanted to make these special, stand out cents.

  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillDugan1959 said:

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @thefinn said:
    Looks like a reaction between the thin copper layer and zinc, making brass.

    The 2009 mint and proof set cents were 95% copper weren't they?

    No, if you mean the normally packaged uncirculated sets and the normally packaged proof sets. Traditional bronze coinage was a special order(s) later in the year.

    These are from the 2009 proof set. They are 95% copper. I also have another 2009 proof set that has just been sitting in ogp in my cabinet and those are doing the same thing.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would be very unhappy if they were my coins....I had stopped buying mint sets a few years earlier, and seeing this, it adds one more reason I am happy with that decision. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

    An alloy issue?

  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillDugan1959 said:

    @ChrisH821 said:

    @thefinn said:
    Looks like a reaction between the thin copper layer and zinc, making brass.

    The 2009 mint and proof set cents were 95% copper weren't they?

    No, if you mean the normally packaged uncirculated sets and the normally packaged proof sets. Traditional bronze coinage was a special order(s) later in the year.

    All of the normally packaged 2009 uncirculated sets contain 95% copper cents. All 2009-S proof cents are also 95% copper. The 2009 cents made for circulation are copper-plated zinc.

  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Interesting but unattractive.

  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yea if it were blue or something like that, wouldn't look too bad. Silver color just doesn't do it very well. What I really can't believe is that I put these in this dansco 10 yrs ago. Where does the time go?

  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I've got quite a few of these cents in cut-out strips from the Unc Mint sets. Where the blister was punctured when cut out, they all had significant toning (gray) similar to yours at those locations. Intact blisters were 98% ugly tone-free. Some were quite attractive.

    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser, Bullsitter, robeck, Nickpatton, jwitten, and many OTHERS
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just pulled my danso album out and 2 of mine have similar toning. Only on the proofs though, none on the mint set ones.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @privatecoin said:
    Just pulled my danso album out and 2 of mine have similar toning. Only on the proofs though, none on the mint set ones.

    Yea I have the marks on 2 proof coins and marks on one log cabin D mint one.

  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The mint really messed up on these. They must have forgot the process they used when they were using copper.

    Larry

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CollectorBonEZ said:
    Looks like Lincoln has a serious ear infection possibly gangrene and the cabin looks ominous with a heat signature sinking into the ground.

    It's a FLIR signature. Somebody's in there.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file