Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just a piece of mint goo

Found this stuck to the surface of a new quarter it was not struck into the coin. shown on cent for size
It was a solid roll from a solid box so I would guess it is from the mint rather than an outside source.
It looks like hardened or dried grease with a bunch of small metal fragments with an overall bronze color.
It looks like most of the fragments are copper.

I know this is kinda boring...... but it's not about a Silver Eagle :D

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @ifthevamzarockin for posting that interesting “nugget” thing and not a EHRP thing. :)

Fred probably knows...

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! B) It looks like a "Meteor". B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big question...Will it CAC? :D

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting....looks like an agglomeration of metal shavings/chips that accumulated in the machine and finally dropped onto a coin....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm 🤔 will PCGS grade it? If so what type of gasket will they use. It’s quite small

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the coin available to maybe match the surface,
    and see if it started out soft?
    Could be grease, or someones dried beef.LOL
    I found jelly in a roll, Fresh also.
    Ya. Ya. ...A coin roll...
    What? True and sticky.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it stick to a magnet?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Does it stick to a magnet?

Didn't try.....can try after work :)

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Hmmm 🤔 will PCGS grade it? If so what type of gasket will they use. It’s quite small

How old is it? Will it CAC?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an example of a common soft residue found on 100% original coins - usually from 1950's to 60's. The darker residue often contains microscopic metal flakes.

The more commonly seen residue is clear and soft as on one half of this image. Usually the clear "stuff" does not show any inclusions.

Undipped/uncleaned examples are usually found in bank wrapped rolls of Franklins', Washingtons', Roosevelts', and Jeffersons. Look for it at the rims. It comes right off with conservation.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the photo of the Rev. of the Cent WITH the
    crud on it Before you removed it?

If so, please post a photo of the reverse after
    the crud/gunk was removed.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:

He wrote that "it was not struck into the coin." That's too bad.

• Options

I asked because of there is a depressed area
    where the crud was lifted off, then it might
    have been struck like that (no design, I know)

If it were not 'stuck onto the coin', then the
    crud is from other counting/rolling machine
    crud, and and it's not part of the minting/striking
    process.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:

The crud was found on a new quarter and it left no mark on the quarter. shown on cent for size
    Sorry I made that confusing. :/

• Options

In lower lighting conditions it looks dark, almost black. much like the example Insider2 posted on the 1959
    In brighter light you can see the metal flakes and it looks more bronze or copper colored.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 12:28PM

Nice item. Put it into a 2X2. I was given my example from a collector while pre-screening his BU original roll at a coin show. :)

• Options

OK, thanks for the clarification.

It's not an error coin struck with the gunk on it;
    it's sourced from something else after the coin
    was struck.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a dime that is "struck-thru, with retained mint schmutz" somewhere. Got it in change at a coin show concessionaire, actually.

• Options

Agree. Coins with traces of Mint grease or sawdust inclusions are not errors. It's the way they came from the Mint. Nevertheless, I think both are interesting.

• Options

@messydesk
    Is mint schmutz the same as goo or did I get my numismatic terminology wrong again? :D

• Options

You're confusing schmutz, goo, and gunk.

Let's just call it schmutzum, and leave it at that.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's funny, I seem to have that same "gunk" on my car when I forget to wash it. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

It's not gunk..... it's schmutzum :D

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1986-vintage Graebener coin press (Denver Mint surplus) was covered with blobs like that.
    They were particles of copper and nickel, bound together into small lumps by grease and/or oil.

• Options

Thanks for the reply @dcarr :)

@ChrisH821 Not magnetic ;)

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    You're confusing schmutz, goo, and gunk.

Let's just call it schmutzum, and leave it at that.

If this means I can get PCGS to put "Struck Thru with Retained Schmutz" on a slab, I'm good with that.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @messydesk
    Is mint schmutz the same as goo or did I get my numismatic terminology wrong again? :D

Goo is gooier than schmutz. Not to be confused with "hunk of crud," which came up in a discussion of artifacts of the hubbing process recently.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

We used to have a bottle of Nickumpucky that would clean that right off most anything.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file