Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New ideas for collectors of a certified coins

HJPHJP Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Here’s an idea that may help the TPG’s create more set collectors & bring a new revenue source in - at the same time.

The “Book Slab” (name needs work...)

A new approach to collecting certified coins!

Put the collector back in charge of building their sets of each coin series they collect.

Allow collectors of a particular series (I.e. Buffalo nickels, mercury dimes...etc) to submit their slabbed coins to be removed & remounted by the TPG in a “Dansco” type uni- slab type album. (Book slab?)

The coins would reside in individual pockets (open both sides & perhaps have edge view features - like the new inserts that hold some coins inside the slab).

Key issue:
The old slab insert would be remounted above or below each coin. So no need to regrade. (Hint, hint, this process can be easily done - by man or machine...

Otherwise: a new door opens for third party “service” to provide said task....

The coins will be spaced appropriately to allow 3-4 coins across & 4-5 down, in rows / columns or to suit TPG new “book slab” needs.

Any comments?
HJP

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 2:17PM

I’m not on board with this idea....I don’t like it. Sorry.

How would you sell or show in individual coin? You’d have to bring the whole set and how would you break it out?

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I am understanding your idea correctly, this would seriously limit the liquidity of the collection, and basically freeze the set at one point in time. I prefer the flexibility to sell/upgrade/downgrade individual coins at any time.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to picture this but I have this stuck in my head:

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep thinking. Terrible idea in my opinion.

Too restrictive. Every coin change requires sending it in. And, when I send it in, I have to expose MY ENTIRE SET to the risk of shipping.

So I upgrade a $100 coin in my type set and I have to ship $50k worth of coins?

• Options

Ok, what if we “de-couple” the coin from the label?

What if the new “book slab” uses small, individual cap type clear plastic covers that only just encapsulate the coin - no extra real estate for the label.

The new sealed cap can have all the coins info encoded on a tiny area of the “seal cap”.

This info can be read by the new book slab and displayed electronically instead of using a paper label.

Voila! The next generation in coin presentation!
    HJP

• Options

I have lots of ideas on how to implement this approach- if a TPG is interested...

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a small round slab, about the size of the slightly larger than a dollar capsules would be a good idea. It would save a ton of space.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

But there would be no room for a CAC sticker. :D

• Options

I have an idea about that...

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    But there would be no room for a CAC sticker. :D

Yep!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Trying to picture this but I have this stuck in my head:

I use these now

• Options

I use the Eagle slab pages for my slabs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe your idea needs some work.... would certainly limit sales...unless the 'book' were offered intact...and many collectors are looking for individual coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its good to think outside the box, but I think its easier to customize the folder/binder somehow and use the Eagle (or whatever brand) clear plastic slab holders.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the quality of images these days + virtual album options scratches this itch for most people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file