Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Old coin, I want to buy, no idea want it is.

acadienacadien Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2019 6:48PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Please take a look, I can buy this coin.
Thanks for you advises.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Dolph Lundren commemorative

• Options

Got the coin, able to add better picture. What your touhgt?

• Options

Terrible pictures, let me try again.....

• Options

Weight 9.67 gr, measure approx, 21mm x 3mm thk

• Options

Could it be laureate head right. Rev: IMP XXII COS XVII CENS PPP, Minerva standing left with spear

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 5:16PM

It strikes me as Greek/ Hellenistic, couple of centuries before Christ. Maybe Macedonia. Maybe Cappadocia. Extremely worn. I kinda doubt that it is Roman, but I am no expert.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2019 8:06PM

In the Numismatics archives, the coins B.C. are Greek, Celtic, Roman and Provincial. I also done a research on Greek, Macedonia an Cappadocia. Found a couple of similarity, but nothing close enough. You must of notice on the reverse side the woman has a spear with 3 forks at 09h00 o'clock.

It weight quite a bit 9,69 gram. But these day's the weight it by grain. Therefore it would be 149,53 grain. It weight and feel like gold when I hold it. Hum wonder?

• Options

just kidding not gold loll

• Options

I am no expert either BillDugan . I would greatly appreciate to ear from an expert, there got to be somebody on this world and ancient forum.

Hello, anyone out there, your help is needed on this forum. Thanks

• Options
    edited November 17, 2019 10:02PM

Definitions are loose: Greek covers the Classical coinages of the Greek mainland (city states) and islands from the inception of coinage up to the age of Alexander the Great; Hellenistic covers the many Greek mainland and vast eastern territories conquered by Alexander the Great and then ruled by his generals and their successors and others for a couple of hundred years after Alexander's death; Greek provincial is what Rome later ruled but the coins bore Greek inscriptions, not Latin.

The most beautiful designs tend to be from the earliest part of this history.

I am thinking your coin is from the Hellenistic period. Could be lots of places, but I do know enough to kinda rule out Ptolemaic Egypt. You need to divide out the Hellenistic era to properly separate Classical Greece from the later era of Roman domination.

The basic reference book is by Spink: http://spinkbooks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=85

Do note that there are two volumes, not just one.

There are others who certainly know more, but this forum area is slow and patience is necessary.

• Options

Thank you so much BillDugan,

When you're referring to the Hellenistic period would it be the 1 (323 a 188 B.C) or 2 (188 a 30 B.C.) What about Syria?
    Regard

• Options

In my mind, the Hellenistic runs from 323 BC all the way down to 31 BC, although Rome was just tolerating the existence of the Greek "buffer states" for the last century or so of their existence. The Greek states kept the peoples to the east out of Rome's hair for a long time.

At this time in history, Syria means 'Seleucid' to me. Recently, I've been languidly reading John D. Granger's three book set on the Seleucid Empire. I have a hard time getting into it. The Ptolemaic Egyptian Empire is much more interesting. Both came out of the division of Alexander's Empire.

Possibly your piece might be Seleucid.

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 2:31AM

Roman Empire, Ascalon, Palestine.
    Laureate head right // Tyche-Astarte standing left on galley, holding scepter and aphlaston; altar to left; dove left over date (seems to be ΔNP or ΔMP) in right field.
    It's hard to identify emperor.

See examples in google search

• Options

Dating of Ascalon coins
    The following chart represents the Greek dating methodology:

A three letter date appears on reverse as shown by arrow. This coin reads ΔNP or ΔMP.

That corresponds to 154 or 144.

The Ascalon beginning date was 104 BC which gives the year for this coin as:
    154-104 = 50 + 1 (year zero adjustment) = year 51.
    or
    144-104 = 40 + 1 (year zero adjustment) = year 41.

If year is 51 — Nero bust on the obverse.
    If year is 41 — Claudius or Caligula bust on the obverse.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 3:56AM

Live and learn. Oh well.

I went to Spink and bought some books to help me out, next time.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 9:08AM

This is an interesting coin. Perhaps it was in the hands of the one who touched Jesus. I love coins with history.

I have one of Judea: The Procurator Valerius Gratus, 15-26 AD under Tiberius.
    I imagine how little Jesus runs for the milk and shouts to the milkman: two liters! And the tired milkman pours him two liters of milk in a jug and says: Give me the money! And little Jesus throws this coin on the floor. I hear this ringing.
    That's cool!

• Options

If any single item that were used or touched by Christ is still extant today, a coin is the very most likely candidate.

• Options

My god, Ill see if I can get the correct second letter has per N or M.

Although,there are seven coins, named in the New Testament from 7 different Greek words during Jesus time.
    There are also many coins named in the Old Testament which we will document in time, the most famous being the gold "daric" produced by Darius the Mede who is named in Daniel: "That same night Belshazzar the Chaldean king was slain. So Darius the Mede received the kingdom at about the age of sixty-two." (Daniel 5:30-31).
    Mina and talent are money terms used in the New Testament but they refer to weights of silver rather than coins.

However, IVB thank you very much for your expertise. See if you agree with me on this picture, look like an M. The last red mark on the right is bellow the P.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    If any single item that were used or touched by Christ is still extant today, a coin is the very most likely candidate.

Was there any other ''coins'' or should I say Mina or talent, money terms used in the New Testament but they refer to weights of silver rather than coins.

• Options

Good info,,,DISSERTATION Titel der Dissertation “Reign and Religion in Palestine. The Political Instrumentalization of Sacred Iconogra-phy in the Hellenistic-Roman Period on the Basis of the Numismatic Evidence” Band 1 von 1

http://othes.univie.ac.at/28236/1/2012-06-19_0108981.pdf

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 8:12PM

QUESTION: If Jesus could have possibly touch this coin.

Would it be fair enough to follow the trace of the footsteps that Jesus though the Holy Land from the birth of Jesus, His walk and travels from childhood to His baptism and ministries in His latter years, and latter hours, from Sea of Galilee, along the Jordan River down to the Dead Sea, from His betrayal, His trial, His crucifixion and resurrection.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 9:42PM

@acadien said:
    QUESTION: If Jesus could have possibly touch this coin.

Which coin do you mean?

If your coin from Ashkelon, it was minted after the death of Jesus. And, then, maybe someone who was touched by Jesus touched this coin. :)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to this webpage:

https://stevedutch.net/Pseudosc/DaVinci.htm

Atoms Shared With Famous People

We can assume Jesus was a fairly small person in keeping with the general nutritional standards of the time. If he needed 1500 calories a day, and carbohydrates typically contain 6 calories a gram, then he ate about 250 grams of food a day, or about 90 kilograms a year, or about 3000 kilograms over the course of his life. Most biological material is about 18 per cent carbon, so about 500 kilograms of carbon passed through Jesus’ body during his lifetime.

The total biosphere contains about 1016 kilograms of carbon. After 2000 years we can assume that any carbon that passed through Jesus’ body has thoroughly spread through the biosphere (a great deal would have been exhaled as carbon dioxide). So the fraction of biosphere carbon that was once in Jesus’ body is 500/1016. If you weigh 50 kilograms, you contain about 9 kilograms of carbon or 4.5 x 1026 atoms of carbon. That means the number of carbon atoms in your body that were also in the body of Jesus are about 4.5 x 1026 x 500/1016 or 2 x 1013.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

It looks like an issue of Titus from the year 80/1, similar to these examples:

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=179620
    https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=344994

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options

@numismagram said:
    It looks like an issue of Titus from the year 80/1, similar to these examples:

In these examples date reads as ΔΠP.
    In our case, the second letter is not very similar to "Π", in my opinion:

• Options

No expert in ancient coins, but am trying very hard to get to the bottom of this. I greatly appreciate all of your expertise in doing so. My post above mention an M not a N. Will this picture help to identify the inscription letter.

• Options

I am not an expert on antique coins too.
    I find the letter "H" here. But this contradicts the Greek dating table.
    It needs to research a large number of Greek letters variations "M" and "N" on such coins and compare them with the writing on your coin, which is quite worn out. And assume based on these data.
    Best of all accept that this coin is not subject to precise identification.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Though it does appear more like an H, it s simply a poorly formed Π. The engraving for these wasn't always the greatest, and the portrait style is consistent with the Flavian issues of that time period, so that would all point toward CY 184.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 10:56AM

I agree with you about bust styling. For Nero, Claudius - they have another style and looking more often left, not right.

• Options

Would PCGS be able to identify the date?

• Options

Numismagram, after this great journey and research with all of you. I believe you put the finger on what seem to be an issue of Titus from the year 80/1 according to the date on the coin.

Titus was Roman emperor from 79 to 81. A member of the Flavian dynasty, Titus succeeded his father Vespasian upon his death, thus becoming the first Roman emperor to come to the throne after his own biological father. Wikipedia
    Born: December 30, 39 AD, Rome, Italy
    Died: September 13, 81 AD, Rieti, Italy
    Full name: Titus Flavius Vespasianus
    Spouse: Arrecina Tertulla
    Children: Julia Flavia
    Parents: Vespasian, Domitilla the Elder

If anyone interested in buying the coin make me a reasonable offer in private.
    Thank to all