Home Sports Talk

Myles Garrett fined/suspended, or banned for life?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Myles Garrett fined/suspended, or banned for life?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

Everyone deserves a second chance, within reason. Ofcourse there are certain crimes that don’t deserve anything but a bullet 🤷‍♂️

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banned for life

@perkdog said:
    Everyone deserves a second chance, within reason. Ofcourse there are certain crimes that don’t deserve anything but a bullet 🤷‍♂️

I think this is too far. Ever hear of Henry Boucha?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    fined/suspended

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I think this is too far. Ever hear of Henry Boucha?

Nope

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 9:00AM
    fined/suspended

Suspended for the rest of the season is sufficient imo. Optics were very bad obviously but Rudolph wasn't injured, either.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banned for life

As a pro there are some thing you just don't do.

LWOP- right perk? :)

fined/suspended

@hammer1 said:
    As a pro there are some thing you just don't do.

LWOP- right perk? :)

Yep, like I said he would have been relieved to hear “Suspended for the rest of the season” On Admin Leave without pay indefinitely is nothing nice 😮

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

banned for life? what kind of weed are you people smoking?

fined/suspended

@bronco2078 said:

Not all but SOME of the guys preaching for a lifetime ban apparently don’t think they ever did anything wrong 🤷‍♂️

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

Raccoons are filthy sinners. I have the evidence to back it up.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banned for life

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Not all but SOME of the guys preaching for a lifetime ban apparently don’t think they ever did anything wrong 🤷‍♂️

I gladly voted banned for life. I'm no Saint, but I never hit an unprotected player with a football helmet on his head! I don't buy the second chance nonsense. The league has to send a message and the message is banishment. I think it's a bit lame to put the dissent into the context of never having done anything wrong, it just isn't an apples and oranges thing. There's no telling the damage Garrett could have done, including killing the guy. This idiot cost his team big time, not only monetarily, but a HUGE embarrassment on National tv. He could have scrambled and gotten out of the situation, but chose to act like a crazed mad man.

We just disagree on this one Paul...big time. Enjoy the game tomorrow!
    Al

fined/suspended

Pigeons are just flat-out thugs.

fined/suspended

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

I gladly voted banned for life. I'm no Saint, but I never hit an unprotected player with a football helmet on his head! I don't buy the second chance nonsense. The league has to send a message and the message is banishment. I think it's a bit lame to put the dissent into the context of never having done anything wrong, it just isn't an apples and oranges thing. There's no telling the damage Garrett could have done, including killing the guy. This idiot cost his team big time, not only monetarily, but a HUGE embarrassment on National tv. He could have scrambled and gotten out of the situation, but chose to act like a crazed mad man.

Al

AL I totally understand bud, your OLD SCHOOL, I respect your opinion regardless if we disagree or not, I don’t group you in with the people who think they have never done a thing wrong. GO PATS!!

fined/suspended

@doubledragon said:

😂😂😂. Where do you come up with this stuff

fined/suspended

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

😂😂😂. Where do you come up with this stuff

Way too much free time. ;)

• Fined/suspended... then blacklisted for life. After that stunt, putting him on a roster will be a major liability for the organization.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banned for life

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Al

AL I totally understand bud, your OLD SCHOOL, I respect your opinion regardless if we disagree or not, I don’t group you in with the people who think they have never done a thing wrong. GO PATS!!

Well, there was the time I got caught in St Augustine, FL doing 96 in a 65 in my corvette with a hottie from Dallas, TX. We were going to Daytona Beach for the weekend...lucky for me they didn't have sniffer dogs then. I did have some "material" that would have definitely put a serious cramp in the weekend. B) As I recall, I had the tunes up loud, the interior lights dimmed and I was just driving by my tach. Those cherry bomb mufflers and all the power at my feet ...ah, the good old days!!! Sweet memories!!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

100K and the rest of the season should cover it. :)

fined/suspended

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

Al

Well, there was the time I got caught in St Augustine, FL doing 96 in a 65 in my corvette with a hottie from Dallas, TX. We were going to Daytona Beach for the weekend...lucky for me they didn't have sniffer dogs then. I did have some "material" that would have definitely put a serious cramp in the weekend. B) As I recall, I had the tunes up loud, the interior lights dimmed and I was just driving by my tach. Those cherry bomb mufflers and all the power at my feet ...ah, the good old days!!! Sweet memories!!

Love it!!! 👍👍

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

banned for life, what are you guys smoking??

what happened is out of character for Garrett, he has admitted as much and accepted responsibility. Mason Rudolph is a different story, he thinks he's a victim.

keep Garrett out for the season, work on the NFL PR image and put this behind us.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 4:43PM
    fined/suspended

Garrett became apologetic the second he realized the magnitude of shock over his felony assault.

I’m for a lengthy suspension that eats into the 1st quarter of next year.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 4:49PM
    fined/suspended

Death row records contract extension.... His street cred just went thru the roof..... icon status.

fined/suspended

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Death row records contract extension.... His street cred just went thru the roof..... icon status.

😂😂😂

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

He has already been fined 42K this year for roughing the passer.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

@bronco2078 ... the best of the best.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

Made a mistake, lost his cool. Suspension - Rudolph should have gotten a game or two as well.

fined/suspended

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Made a mistake, lost his cool. Suspension - Rudolph should have gotten a game or two as well.

The more I see this and look at it I’m amazed Rudolph didn’t get any games.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

you cant suspend a guy for having 2 first names

fined/suspended

@bronco2078 said:
    you cant suspend a guy for having 2 first names

Maybe that’s why Rudolph didn’t get suspended 🤷‍♂️

fined/suspended

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/pittsburgh-steelers-mason-rudolph-cleveland-browns-myles-garrett-no-criminal-charges-nfl.amp I’m glad he isn’t pressing charges but what’s lost on me is that he won’t acknowledge that he essentially attacked Garrett to begin with. It’s typical Millenial behavior though, he starts a problem and the ante gets upped against him and he cry’s about it. I’d have no problem if he at least admitted he attacked him and Garret took it an unnecessary level using the helmet instead of his fist.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banned for life

It's at the very least criminal assault and could potentially be viewed as attempted murder. The NFL has enough image problems and it's not like it's his first infraction even this season. Why keep more thugs around? Rudolph should be suspended too.

fined/suspended

The rule does say 15 yard penalty and ejection from the game. Look it up

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banned for life

I have heard the “he was provoked “ reasoning to dismiss this behavior. It sounds similar to a wife beaters excuse for hitting. You can kill a person hitting them when unprotected and even worse cause brain damage that effects all the family members. If they don’t stop him now. Something else will set him off later. Ban for life!

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

Filing criminal assault charges in a sporting event can lead to a very slippery slope.

Don't scumbag lawyers already have enough money?

Unless it's something "crazy" such as a player hitting another player over the head with a baseball bat or something, i would be against criminal assault charges in a sporting event.

Let the leagues decide the punishment.

fined/suspended

@stevek said:
    Filing criminal assault charges in a sporting event can lead to a very slippery slope.

Unless it's something "crazy" such as a player hitting another player over the head with a baseball bat or something, i would be against criminal assault charges in a sporting event.

Do you remember the Juan Marishal(sp) / Johnny Roseborror(sp) thing way back. A bat was used and Johnny was bleeding like a stuck hog. To me that was criminal.

fined/suspended

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

Do you remember the Juan Marishal(sp) / Johnny Roseborror(sp) thing way back. A bat was used and Johnny was bleeding like a stuck hog. To me that was criminal.

https://youtu.be/I5xuLON30AU

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fined/suspended

It sounds similar to a wife beaters excuse for hitting

this is really a pathetic comparison that has no place here. perhaps you should consider deleting it.

fined/suspended

@keets said:

this is really a pathetic comparison that has no place here. perhaps you should consider deleting it.

Agreed, it’s a ridiculous comparison

edited November 20, 2019 6:03AM
    fined/suspended

@keets said:

This wasn't brought up as a comparison. It was brought up as possible time when a criminal charge could be brought in response to someone saying never on criminal in a sport. There was also a case in Hockey where a player killed another player with a stick to the chest.

And what does this have anything to do with wife beaters??????

banned for life

@stevek said:

Isn't this essentially what happened here? Just replace baseball bat with FB helmet? Rudolph very easily could have been seriously injured or killed, but since he wasn't, let the league decide?

fined/suspended

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

Isn't this essentially what happened here? Just replace baseball bat with FB helmet? Rudolph very easily could have been seriously injured or killed, but since he wasn't, let the league decide?

Point understood, but i doubt if many equate a football helmet with a baseball bat as far as a weapon.

It's well known that unfortunately, baseball bats are sometimes used as weapons not only for criminal purposes but defensive purposes as well.

I live in a very safe suburban neighborhood, and i do own firearms. But i still keep an aluminum bat near my bed just in case an intruder surprises me, and i don't have time to grab a gun.

I'd quickly grab the bat and display to him how good of a baseball swing i have. ;)

banned for life

If someone's swinging a 3-8 lb dense object at my unprotected head, I could justifiably use lethal measures to defend myself, no? I recall from my concealed carry classes that a screwdriver can be considered a lethal weapon. I honestly don't see any difference between a helmet and a bat in this situation.

I'm fine with letting a lot of things slide on the field of play, but once a helmet is off all action stops, period. Anyone continuing past that point gets ejected/suspended and anyone specifically targeting the unprotected head should never play the game professionally again.

fined/suspended

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

>

When i get the time, i'll have to read about what happened in that video...what caused it to escalate like that?

I've played a lot of baseball and football in my time, and of course if ya play enough, you're going to get into some arguments or scuffles with the opponent. But I've never seen it escalate to anything remotely close to that video.

I've never even seen a punch thrown while participating in a sports event. Not even waving a bat in a threatening position or anything like that. Just a little bit of pushing and shoving on the football field after a play, which was forgotten about five seconds later.

Yes, the helmet incident is unacceptable, but in my view just let the league handle it.

banned for life

@LarkinCollector said:
    If someone's swinging a 3-8 lb dense object at my unprotected head, I could justifiably use lethal measures to defend myself, no? I recall from my concealed carry classes that a screwdriver can be considered a lethal weapon. I honestly don't see any difference between a helmet and a bat in this situation.

I'm fine with letting a lot of things slide on the field of play, but once a helmet is off all action stops, period. Anyone continuing past that point gets ejected/suspended and anyone specifically targeting the unprotected head should never play the game professionally again.

Absolutely agree.

Something else I don't think was mentioned is that Garrett removed Rudolph's protective gear and used it to smash him in his now unprotected head. So he not only clobbered the guy, but first he eliminated his protective gear.

Garrett has been fined this year already $40,000+ for illegal hits.

I'm not excusing Rudolph here, but at some point in an altercation you have to stop, Garrett is insane and should be banned from football forever. Next time he loses his temper he might kill someone.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    When i get the time, i'll have to read about what happened in that video...what caused it to escalate like that?

The teams had been throwing at each other earlier in the game, including Koufax throwing over the head of Willie Mays.
    They got a warning but the Dodgers weren't quite done. Roseboro buzzed Marichal's head with one of his throws back to Koufax. Marichal says Roseboro actually hit him with the throw. Words were exchanged and you know the rest.

fined/suspended

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

The teams had been throwing at each other earlier in the game, including Koufax throwing over the head of Willie Mays.
    They got a warning but the Dodgers weren't quite done. Roseboro buzzed Marichal's head with one of his throws back to Koufax. Marichal says Roseboro actually hit him with the throw. Words were exchanged and you know the rest.

Wow, hard to believe a gentleman such as Koufax got involved in the altercation.

I'll have to see if the entire game is on the internet. Might be fun to watch, especially seeing three Hall of Famers involved in it.

banned for life

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Wow, hard to believe a gentleman such as Koufax got involved in the altercation.

I'll have to see if the entire game is on the internet. Might be fun to watch, especially seeing three Hall of Famers involved in it.

Some of the Dodgers were mad at Koufax. Sandy didn't like to hit guys. Drysdale on the other hand didn't mind at all.

Roseboro threw the ball back to the pitcher and either hit Marichal 's ear or came very close to it. Marichal then clobbered Roseboro.

Koufax was trying to separate the players who were fighting.

fined/suspended

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Some of the Dodgers were mad at Koufax. Sandy didn't like to hit guys. Drysdale on the other hand didn't mind at all.

Roseboro threw the ball back to the pitcher and either hit Marichal 's ear or came very close to it. Marichal then clobbered Roseboro.

Koufax was trying to separate the players who were fighting.

Yea, Drysdale would throw at batters just for the fun of it. LOL

fined/suspended

I remember playing football in my neighborhood as a kid. Sometimes emotions ran high, and blows were thrown. Like I've said before, sometimes adults can be worse than kids.

fined/suspended

Things could always be worse. I'm still waiting for the dreaded day that tomatoes realize their true power.