Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help me understand the new reverse proof frenzy

matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a beautiful coin and a nice ounce of silver, but I don’t get the frenzy. There were fewer Apollo 11 gold proofs minted thus far last time I checked for example and I think much more interesting and unique though I know a much higher price point.

Why the excitement? I’m seeing high flip attempts ($400-$600).

Not trying to rain on any parades, just curious.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the OP.
    I don't pay attention to moderns at all, and apparently
    missed an opportunity for a quick and profitable flip.
    I spent 5 minutes buying and selling Luckin Coffee stock this week, and
    the proceeds of that will allow me to buy a few of these in the aftermarket.....or better yet,
    a nice Large cent :)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect that there are lots of silver eagle collectors out there and this is probably a must have.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quick high profit. New key date of the series.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of silver eagle collectors, but only about 44 complete documented PCGS proof silver eagle registry sets, meaning they have the 1995W in some grade. There are more at NGC and a lot who don't publish their sets. Still maybe only several hundred are serious enough to collect and keep the full set of proof eagles.

Since the 1995W sells for around $3,000 in PR69 and $10,000 in PR70. I can see why some set collectors are willing to pay $1,000 to $3,000 to keep one of these S-Mint coins in 70. But what about the 29,000+ coins just purchased just to sell at some profit? I think eBay is the one who makes the most on these.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    There are a lot of silver eagle collectors, but only about 44 complete documented PCGS proof silver eagle registry sets, meaning they have the 1995W in some grade. There are more at NGC and a lot who don't publish their sets. Still maybe only several hundred are serious enough to collect and keep the full set of proof eagles.

Since the 1995W sells for around $3,000 in PR69 and $10,000 in PR70. I can see why some set collectors are willing to pay $1,000 to $3,000 to keep one of these S-Mint coins in 70. But what about the 29,000+ coins just purchased just to sell at some profit? I think eBay is the one who makes the most on these.

And PayPal probably not so much.

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low supply (i.e.-lowest mintage for the series) coupled with high demand (i.e.-quite a few people collect ASEs or like the unique appearance of the coin) equals a relatively high price in a free market.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    “Why the excitement?”

Contrived scarcity/rarity, combined with the opportunity (for those who are so inclined) to flip for a quick and significant profit.

You nailed it 'contrived rarity'. 30,000 coins will always exist in high grades making this one not even scarce. These are only rare compared to 1964 proof sets of which maybe only half of original mintage are left, maybe only 1/10th of one percent are proof 69 and even smaller numbers have 2 sided cameo contrast.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin market is about making money and this seems a way to do it to those who play the buy and flip game.

I wonder how many actual collectors of this series will drop out because they become unhappy with "contrived scarcity" issues such as this?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

The original selling price is really low too for something that there are only 30,000 of. That helped increase demand.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    “Why the excitement?”

Contrived scarcity/rarity, combined with the opportunity (for those who are so inclined) to flip for a quick and significant profit.

Nailed it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really think that this "finish" business is overrated, particularly at the flip prices of 400-600, etc. Still, at the entry price of 66 USD it was worth trying for it.
    Not that anyone cares, but have all the scarce ones xpt the 08/07 reverse bunko & as a collector none slabbed xpt I had to try for the "70" on the 95W (failed at 69 tho).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Agree with the OP.
    I don't pay attention to moderns at all, and apparently
    missed an opportunity for a quick and profitable flip.
    I spent 5 minutes buying and selling Luckin Coffee stock this week, and
    the proceeds of that will allow me to buy a few of these in the aftermarket.....or better yet,
    a nice Large cent :)

I'm with you ………. no interest here at all. But I don't collect ASE's either.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    I think it’s a beautiful coin and a nice ounce of silver, but I don’t get the frenzy. There were fewer Apollo 11 gold proofs minted thus far last time I checked for example and I think much more interesting and unique though I know a much higher price point.

The Silver Eagle series apparently has many die hard fans. The "key" thus far has been the 1995-W proof coin of which 30,125 was minted. Even with reduced demand and in a declining market, the 1995-W still regularly fetches $2k+ for average coins with huge premiums for the PF70 coins. The mintage on the new issue is 30,000, which will make it the lowest of the series and lower than the 1995-W. Many think this will soar in price like the 1995-W so it has become a speculator's and flipper's dream.

$400-$600 is actually pretty cheap and there are multiple prices in the $700+-$1000 range for sold items. A no reserve eBay auction broke $800 recently.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of them around melt?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:

It's like the beanie baby fad for coin collectors. Mint has to come out with a new edition every so often. My guess is that guy on the PM board that sends all the old coins to the smelter will probably be melting these down 5-6 years from now.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

It (our hobby) is a fad. Society curiously peeks in every once in a while (typically after a carefully hyped up limited edition comes out) , and a large contingency of followers usher in, if only to enjoy the fruits of passion for a moment in time. Profit takers.... the nerve :joy:

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

From one to many others: OK, Boomers.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint did not charge enough. If a $60 coin is being resold on the secondary market for $500 the mint blew it and should have charged a lot more.

This is quite different but analogous. Look at Super Bowl tickets. I think the NFL charged $1000 for a ticket last year and they were being resold on the secondary markets from $2500 to $5000. Obviously the NFL left a lot of money on the table and if they had charged $2500 they would have hurt the secondary market. Less people would have paid $2500 trying to flip their ticket and the game still would have been a sellout and the NFL would have grossed more.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    The mint did not charge enough. If a $60 coin is being resold on the secondary market for $500 the mint blew it and should have charged a lot more.

This is quite different but analogous. Look at Super Bowl tickets. I think the NFL charged $1000 for a ticket last year and they were being resold on the secondary markets from $2500 to $5000. Obviously the NFL left a lot of money on the table and if they had charged $2500 they would have hurt the secondary market. Less people would have paid $2500 trying to flip their ticket and the game still would have been a sellout and the NFL would have grossed more.

Or the Mint could have simply produced more.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Silver Eagle is a tough coin for me to get into as its basically a tribute piece to a former design that hit it out of the park. To me, the reverse of the Eagle is the pinnacle of basic, boring and underwhelming. Doesn't really go with he walking Liberty design. I can't really get down on it any more than that and disparage the folks that are totally invested and into it. I say go for it. I love what they did with the Walker in gold.

Its kinda weird for me watching people get in line that don't collect these just to turn around and stick it , uh hum, flip it, to another fellow collector for money. On some level I guess one can justify it being ok or part of collecting heritage or whatever, I just think its negative behavior. There are a lot of things that happen in the coin world that I don't dig or participate in, this is just one of them. Still, nobody is twisting any arms, its just something I watch from a distance.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 11:42AM

I was here for the 2009 UHRDE ordering fiasco and resulting mint fulfillment contractor's loss of the contract.

What was the mood when the "contrived scarcity/rarity" of the 1995W Proof Silver Eagle became realized? How does it compare to the turmoil of 2009 and now 2019? Because I wasn't here then.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel for many collectors who truly want it for their collection, but also understand the business aspect of it. It is what it is. Don't like the market price don't buy it. Like complaining that everyone should be able to afford a Mercedes.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is the Pappy Van Winkle of numismatics in terms of how it’s distributed.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

Supply and demand. Next question?

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

Weren't there around 30,000 Proof 1960 small date cents produced? They were around $50 almost 60 years ago. Now, not so much.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Well my post went Poof not sure why. I guess if you change or add to many times it goes bye bye.

So here goes again;

But all I can say is my $70.00 coin. Once it arrives on Tuesday will be packed into another box to be Encapsulated, graded, along with a newly encapsulated COA. When they come home they will go into the cold, dark vault forever never to be seen again. But I am requesting a “Trueview shot” so I can admire it digitally.

THEN SHE GOES POOF GONE FOREVER! B)

I hope no one tries breaking into your place when you’re around.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NSP said:
    Low supply (i.e.-lowest mintage for the series) coupled with high demand (i.e.-quite a few people collect ASEs or like the unique appearance of the coin) equals a relatively high price in a free market.

Not always. The 2017-S enhanced uncirculated Lincoln cent (225k) and the 2018-S reverse proof Lincoln cent (200k) can often be found for less than $20 each.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

@TJM965 said:
    Weren't there around 30,000 Proof 1960 small date cents produced? They were around $50 almost 60 years ago. Now, not so much.

Later estimates were around 100,000 proof sets, with about 2 million uncirculated. As I recall, in 1964 prices reached $65 for the small date proof set and $450 for uncirculated rolls. In today's dollars that would be around $500 for the proof set and $3500 for an uncirculated roll. Today, of course, they sell for much less.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Help me understand the new reverse proof frenzy”

...something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue...

Old = regular ASE
    New = ERPR ASE
    Blue = Wasn’t able get it for Mint price
    Borrowed = Had to take a loan to get it on the secondary market

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting for one to become available post frenzy......Cheers, RickO

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @ricko said:

Waiting for one to become available post frenzy......Cheers, RickO

Ha ha - widely available now :) I saw someone posted one on my local FB asking $895. Wow....those crazy kids!

• Options

@matt_dac ...Yeah...that is what I mean by 'post frenzy'....in six months or so, it should die down....Probably get one for around $100 or so....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is bigger then the big mac tokens from a while back

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

I got me some of those wonder if I should send some in for Grading? :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @matt_dac ...Yeah...that is what I mean by 'post frenzy'....in six months or so, it should die down....Probably get one for around $100 or so....Cheers, RickO

;) I'll bet you $1000 that you won't get one for $100...well, unless someone loses one or something. LOL.

A routine Proof Silver Eagle will run you $50+ and there are 400,000 of them every year. The silver eagles with mintages of 100,000 (2011, 2012) all sell for $100 or over. At 30,000 this coin will be multiple hundreds for the foreseeable future, though probably cheaper than today.

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

Yes, but not as big as the Simpsons watches. BTW, I have a complete set that can be yours for five figures smile: !

Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options

@jmlanzaf....You are probably right....However, that is when I may start to look around...if the Mint does not start selling the returns that people will send back because they are not 70's.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@johnny9434 said:

I got me some of those wonder if I should send some in for Grading? :D

maybe anacs, im not really sure...….

• Options

@ricko said:
    @jmlanzaf....You are probably right....However, that is when I may start to look around...if the Mint does not start selling the returns that people will send back because they are not 70's.... Cheers, RickO

I don't see that happening. 69's are bringing around $700 on eBay, which is about the current price for unslabbed ones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file