Home U.S. Coin Forum

It’s time for new sales techniques USM

2»

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2019 8:43PM

It only took the mint somewhere between 6 + 7 hours to process 600 or so sales today at the Baltimore show! That was after getting a ticket(most waited in line for) which then allowed you to return at 11:30 to get another ticket so you could go present it at the Mint's Booth to them to buy it!

I didn't wait for a ticket and got mine around 11:00...I was # 512. Others lined up as early as 4 am. You know who hired a casting crew instead of homeless people this time. Being a dealer I wasn't forced to wait with non dealers as they understood we needed to man our tables. I guess they figured they would be faster at the cash register. We were told we could get in line at 4:30 to get ours as they were only allowing so many in numerical order to go at a time after waiting to get their 2nd ticket. When I checked around 3 or so they were only into the 250's! There was a little push back when all the dealers started showing up at 4:30 but they let us go.

Evidently 1st day was a big deal to the flippers! I had mine sold for $1,000. Showed up at 5:00 after I finally got mine and they said that 5:00 was the cutoff time and would only pay $800 now(I was there a couple minutes before 5:00). Another guy in line had told me they were lined up to get $1200 so I boggied over there. Same thing but said they would pay $900 so I took it. Seems the big buyers preferred NGC's label this time as the PCGS submitters were less from the best I can tell. Of course someone needing 1 more for a PCGS submission showed up willing to pay $1400 after I just sold mine. I can't verify all this! Just my experience and cyphering through a lot of talk. Best as I can tell NGC's cutoff time was 5 and PCGS's was 6.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the thing I don’t get. I suppose I see a difference in labels for Baltimore only coins, but for a coin that sells out in a few minutes having a cutoff time for first day of issue seems ridiculous.

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2019 9:07PM

The Mint was working fine over the past few years.

They must have reverted back to the 1990's system for some reason

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I can say is perhaps they haven't produced all the coins yet. What are the expected delivery times of those ordered online? Are all orders the same or different?

@bigjpst said:
    This is the thing I don’t get. I suppose I see a difference in labels for Baltimore only coins, but for a coin that sells out in a few minutes having a cutoff time for first day of issue seems ridiculous.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one time it was mail order only.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a variation of the method concert venues use where you are qued in a “line” and then you are allowed to order? Only so many people in the actual live, ordering part of the site. This was the procedure used for a recent Paul McCartney concert I went to.

Many happy BST transactions
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

@grip said:
    At one time it was mail order only.

Oh I remember
    Put in your order for proof sets and then get them several months later

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as 150,000 are trying for 30,000 coins...

There’s going to be 120,000 unhappy people. If the website hadn’t crashed, it just wouldn’t haven’t taken you 17 minutes to be upset with the outcome...

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no sales techniques that will be satisfactory to all when there are more people who want something than there are to be had. What everybody ends up asking for is a technique that helps insure that they get what they want, and somebody else gets left out.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

The U.S. Mint should stick to it's intended purpose: MAKING COINS FOR COMMERCE.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2019 2:36PM

@fiftysevener said:
    Maybe they should make enough to satisfy demand

But, but, but..... then it wouldn't be "RARE" or FLIPPABLE!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file