Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unique gold 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition medal by Weinman - Ex-Eliasberg

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 13, 2019 8:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a big fan of gold medals and was excited to see this Eliasberg medal up for auction again. This Louisiana Purchase Exposition in gold may be unique.

Here's part of the description from Heritage:

This is the first gold example of this medal that we have handled, and it appeared twice at Stack's and Stack's Bowers. We are not aware of any others. This impressive medal may be unique. This Premium Gem medal has finely-grained and frosted yellow-gold surfaces with a few small copper toning spots on the obverse. All of Weinman's design details are boldly rendered. This is a stunning example of medallic art.

Wonder if Hansen would be interested in it for the Eliasberg quest.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2019 4:56AM

I saw that and the Cotton States a few days ago. that brown spot is very distracting, but aside from that it's a very pleasing example of a great design. maybe it's just the image, but the obverse design doesn't seem to be struck up as well as some Bronze medals I've seen.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lovely gold medal....though the major copper spot on the neck is a distraction.....one I could live with if it were a gift ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That really is a beautiful medal.
    Even with the 'hickey'.......

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Per Heritage:

57.2 mm. 159.52 grams (5.13 troy ounces). Specific gravity: 19.17. The original maroon case accompanies this medal. This design by Adolph Alexander Weinman is similar to Hendershot 30-40 through 30-120. This piece is round, rather than shield-shaped, and it is 24K gold or nearly so, per the specific gravity.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure why Hansen should have this. I collect the bronze medals in the original boxes.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that spot could be removed without other trace, simple oxidation spot.

That is a beautiful medal in gold, and of such size. Hello Dan Carr!!!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

A copper spot?! Meh, I’d pay melt for it.

But seriously. Beautiful design.

• Options

@keets said:
    I saw that and the Cotton States a few days ago. that brown spot is very distracting, but aside from that it's a very pleasing example of a great design. maybe it's just the image, but the obverse design doesn't seem to be struck up as well as some Bronze medals I've seen.

I agree the spot is distracting and is in an unfortunate spot but it comes with the territory with unique old gold. I wonder if it can be conserved.

Do you recall what the relief looked like when you saw it in hand?

• Options
    edited November 13, 2019 11:40PM

@SaorAlba said:
    I'm not sure why Hansen should have this.

The main reason is because he's on an Eliasberg quest. So far it seems like he's sticking with the complete U.S. coins set, but Eliasberg owned so much more.

Of course, even if he was interested, it would have to beat out other interested buyers.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

24k is very soft... that might account for some of why the reverse looks so wea— Holy COW did no one know what a dolphin looked like back then?!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2020 12:35AM

@kiyote said:
    Holy COW did no one know what a dolphin looked like back then?!

I think it was no one ;)

Here's Hermon MacNeil's original Standing Liberty Quarter design with similar dolphins!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are taken from 4th and 5th Century BC Greek designs.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file