Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Nice 1778-Mo 8 Reales found on ebay raw

I am very happy with how nice this coin is in hand. Looks like a lock 58 to me.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly colorful. Is there some chatter in front of the portrait?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob13 said:
    Certainly colorful. Is there some chatter in front of the portrait?

Just a touch yes, but nothing to harsh. Certainly puts it in the AU camp in my mind.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice! Is the black stuff on the right column and castle in the 1st quarter removable schmutz or just black toning?

• Options

@messydesk said:

There was some gunk there that was removed via acetone. May need another bath, but at this point, just think its dark toning.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Are you going to send it in for grading?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick-up. AU grades at PCGS are all about luster. If it's all there, I can see it going high AU.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't see high AU on this coin and am not loving all the business in the right obverse field

• Options

I will send it off next week, so we shall see. I agree the biggest detracting issue is the light marks in the field, but they are not horrible in hand...though they certainly hurt its aspirations. I would bump this coin to an AU58 given the insane strike, good luster and that it has great eye appeal/color, but could see a 53-55 grade being argued for. I will report back with what PCGS says.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

I will send it off next week, so we shall see. I agree the biggest detracting issue is the light marks in the field, but they are not horrible in hand...though they certainly hurt its aspirations. I would bump this coin to an AU58 given the insane strike, good luster and that it has great eye appeal/color, but could see a 53-55 grade being argued for. I will report back with what PCGS says.

Regardless, it is a nice looking coin.
    Appreciate it for what you see in it not what others do.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

My GTG is AU50. It’s attractive.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Good luck nicely preserved piece of history.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...