Home Metal Detecting
Options

Most People Don’t Know: The FOURTH Treasure that's Hiding In Massachusetts

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one not too far from the NY border @ricko

Hessian Loot in Dalton

Loot buried by Hessian mercenary soldiers during the American Revolution is said to be buried in Dalton. The legend goes that on reaching Dalton, Massachusetts, the Hessians agreed among themselves to put their valuables into a howitzer, which they buried in the woods, intending that some of them should come back at the close of the war and recover it. As is so often the case in these stories, the Hessians never returned. The treasure is assumed to be hidden in the surrounding woodlands.

The Berkshire Country myths are very numerous, but among the most popular ones is the Hessian’s loot. Hessians were the soldiers of General Friedrich von Riedesel who escaped an invasion. The soldiers started looting farms while running away and they gathered a lot of valuables, especially precious metals such as gold and silver coins.

The excess weight was slowing down the Hessian soldiers, who – for fear of the Indians who were following them – buried the goods in the woods near Dalton. The legend says that the Hessians never returned for their loot. People search for the famous loot since the 1800s, but no luck in finding them. The rumor has it that the loot was placed inside a cannon that was then buried underground.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another treasure, just waiting for me to find it.... ;) I have been searching for a few in these mountains for years...still no luck :'( Oh well, the fun of the search gets me off my butt and out in the wilds....And that is good. Cheers, RickO