1866-S Half Dime Die Clash

Picked this up a couple weeks ago but just noticed the die clash tonight. Low mintage of 120,000. Happy Friday



Comments

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a lot of clashing going on there besides what you circled. Cool.

  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭✭

    If I ever acquire superhero powers I am going to call myself Die Clash :smile:

    Clash marks are common on Liberty Seated coinage. Still neat to see shield lines on the reverse.

  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 8:15PM

    Here are some things to look for on an 1866-s half dime, from a big photo on PCGS CoinFacts.


    MPD 18 left of pendant


    Clash line between wreath tops. (This is the first place I look to classify a clash for 1860-1873).
    This is from the flat base of Ms. Liberty.


    Diagonal clash line right of HALF DIME.
    From Ms. Liberty's leg outline below the pole.


    Clashing near right bow.
    From the pole and arm.

  • rickoricko Posts: 69,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice die clash....was it not noted on the label? Cheers, RickO

  • edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭

    Has there been a thread in the past dedicated to pictures of die clashing? Don't know if there would be any interest in such. Anyway, here is one with the neck of the eagle:

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 19,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

    hang onto that one, its a good catch :)

  • @ricko said:
    Very nice die clash....was it not noted on the label? Cheers, RickO

    No sir, nothing on the label.

  • @edwardjulio said:
    Has there been a thread in the past dedicated to pictures of die clashing? Don't know if there would be any interest in such. Anyway, here is one with the neck of the eagle:

    Sure I'm interested. :) That one has great color. Very nice coin. Here is an 1861 half dime with some drapery clashing on the reverse

  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Die clashes get no respect. They deserve respect if they are strong.

  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭✭

    On high grade coins I find them distracting.

  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Clashing adds character to some of our old gals



    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭

    Curious at what high grade the distraction makes its' appearance.

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is the clashiest coin I have...... Look by Liberty's head.

    AU58

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 8:08PM

    Let's keep this thread clashy! :p

  • edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭

    Another:

  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here's one of the strongest I've seen. It looks like it clashed twice with rotation between clashes. It appears that a few of the clash marks extend into relatively deep parts of the die. How this happens is unknown to me but I've seen the same thing on other coins.

  • @koynekwest said:
    Here's one of the strongest I've seen. It looks like it clashed twice with rotation between clashes. It appears that a few of the clash marks extend into relatively deep parts of the die. How this happens is unknown to me but I've seen the same thing on other coins.

    >

    I’ve seen that Roosevelt dime before, probably here. Funny I thought someone had started a hobo nickel project

  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah-I've posted it before-I like to show it every couple of years.

Sign In or Register to comment.