Home Sports Talk
Options

Do the referees seem to have it out for your team?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed calls, bad calls always seem to favor the other team.

Am I alone, or does your team seem to get the short end of the stick?

Do the referees seem to have it out for your team?

This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

My old gambling buddy would yell "the refs are paid" after every bad play.

So I guess...Yes.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, look, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if a referee decides to start busting my team's chops, then I might just have to reach out to my people in Zimbabwe, and they'll put a curse on the referee. They'll do a curse dance, and that will be all she wrote.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Hey, look, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if a referee decides to start busting my team's chops, then I might just have to reach out to my people in Zimbabwe, and they'll put a curse on the referee. They'll do a curse dance, and that will be all she wrote.

Where do you come up with this stuff?!!! 😂😂😂

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted no. I think it’s all random when they make bad calls, I do believe occasionally they do “Make up” calls or throw a flag on something if they get punked off though

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have way too much time on my hands. ;)

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Ten ref John O’Neill is the worst

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a Lions fan. There is absolutely no question in my mind that they do. Way too many examples like Rodgers facemask game and the game earlier this year against Green Bay to believe otherwise.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lions could have the refs on their payroll and still finish 7-9.

;)

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Vikings fan and I voted "heck yes"

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

And no Packer fan can vote "Yes"

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's gotten to the point for me that it isn't so much the penalties they call, it is more about the ones that they don't call. some things can't be argued with, penalties like procedure/off-side/put of bounds tackles/others that are very blatant. the ones that really bother me and that seem to be out of control are the "judgement calls" and the ones that camera work/angles show clearly.

I am split between blaming and not blaming the officials and my catch all solution is that the NFL just needs to admit a problem and get more officials, more eyes, down on the field.

straight to the OP question I will say yes, it sometimes seems that certain Teams are closely watched and others seem to get a pass. some calls, too, seem situational.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Lions could have the refs on their payroll and still finish 7-9.

;)

True facts.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Home teams seem to get the fans into it ..... refs can get influenced I think ... to go with the flow.~ Not against it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looked like the refs were out to get the Tampa team when it was moving up on New Orleans. On a critical point in the game on 4th and 1 play, the ref called offensive pass interference on the Bucs receiver when he the defender within a yard of the line of scrimmage, which is legal. Even the “guru in New York” said it was a bad call, but it came it a critical time when the Bucs were moving.

Once the Saints had the game salted away, the refs started calling fouls on the Saints just to make it look good.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 8:37AM

Lions, Browns, Redskins, Saints seem to be screwed over more than other teams on the whole. Could be others too.