Home Metal Detecting
Options

Most People Don’t Know: The Second Treasure that's Hiding In Massachusetts

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 8, 2019 5:52AM in Metal Detecting

The Second Treasure that's Hiding In Massachusetts

The Town of Chelsea

In the 1900s Chelsea was a rich town inhabited by the very wealthy. In 1908, Chelsea experienced a terrible fire that destroyed most of the town (the aftermath is shown above). Many valuables were lost and never found, or presumed destroyed. This area is a potential treasure trove of hidden artifacts. In 1921, a local worker discovered approximately $50,000 in gold coins and silverware in a field near a building that had burned in the great fire.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.... I was unaware of this....Probably still some lost/buried treasure to be found. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The April 13, 1908 Boston Globe estimated the destruction at Chelsea, published while the city was still burning:

Known Loss of Life — Three Victims [19 Eventually]
    Injured — Several Hundred [300 plus]
    Reported Missing — 85
    Money Loss — $12,000,000
    Buildings Destroyed — 1,000
    Homeless — 10,000 [15,000 plus]
    Territory Burned — 350 Acres
    Length of Fire — 1.5 Miles
    Width of Fire — .25 to .75 Miles
    Cause of Fire — Burning Rubbish
    Fire Began — 11:00 am
    Under Control — 6:00 pm
    Fire Raged — 11:00 am to 12:00 midnight
    Churches Destroyed — 13
    Bank Buildings Destroyed — 3
    Public Buildings Destroyed — City Hall, Public Library, Post Office, Masonic Hall, New Odd Fellows' Hall, Old Odd Fellows' Hall, Frost Hospital
    Churches Left in City — 4
    Chelsea Placed Under Martial Law

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... those are devastating statistics....Thanks for the details....I am sure much of the 'treasure' was retrieved during the rebuilding.... I am sure those details do not exist - maybe some do. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 4:00PM

@ricko said:
    Wow.... those are devastating statistics....Thanks for the details....I am sure much of the 'treasure' was retrieved during the rebuilding.... I am sure those details do not exist - maybe some do. Cheers, RickO

Thing is... It burned down again the the 1970's

The picture clears and stabilizes within 15 seconds.
    Quite a story. If you watch it you may want to skip to 7:15