Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hammered 1913 T2- Let's see them

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2019 1:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Bought this one a while back. I don't think they come struck much better than this.
From what I can see it shares a reverse die with proofs based on the marks on the rim. They are pretty faint but there. Not sure about the Obverse die.

@crazyhounddog Do you have a 13 T2 proof that we can see?

Post them if you've got them

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin doesn’t display the detail that I think of when I hear the term “hammered”. Neither do most other 1913 Type 2’s.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is indeed a very nice Buff....Not sure I would describe it as you have.... but really a nice coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse has a full, but slightly soft strike. It shows a nicely brought up tail and clean fields.

You are correct, Mark. Most Type ll Buffs are softer, especially the obverses. A lot of that may come from the shock encountered when comparing them to their Type l cousin.

Charles Barbers "smooth job" becomes painfully evident.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Fair enough, maybe not "hammered" but in comparing to most of them in coinfacts certainly is far above the average.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1913-5c-type-2/images/3921

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hammered for a 13 t-2, I'd agree with that. Amazing how the quality fell off a cliff from the type 1.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019 9:59AM

Very nice well stuck Buff for a type 2. I’ve seen much worse. Actually I do believe it’s one of the better ones I’ve seen.
    Nice 👌🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

I’m sorry but I do not own a 13 type 2 proof.
    I’ve gotta say I do agree this Buff possesses one of the better strikes for a type 2 I’ve seen. I think you all are being a bit rough with this piece. Everything is there. Even the central regions are sharp. I sure as hell wouldn’t kick it outta my herd.
    Great looking Buff👌🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarkbar04 said:
    Hammered for a 13 t-2, I'd agree with that. Amazing how the quality fell off a cliff from the type 1.

Same happened with the Standing Liberty Quarters between Type I & II...for the most part.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this change in appearance between Type I and Type II actually the result of new hubs made from new plasters or is it the result of strike?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not being tough, I'm trying to be objective. There's nothing "wrong" with the coin at all. I like it a whole lot.

All I'm trying to do is describe some of the things I notice.

Just like Crazyhounddog, I'd love to slot that coin in my collection.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

That is well struck for a 1913 T2. I like it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fully struck proof. Not all proof Buffs are fully struck even tho 95%+ are.

And this is a fully struck circulation strike.

• Options

95%+ matte proofs are fully struck. That number isn't that high for the brilliant proofs-a majority of the 1937 issue is NOT fully struck.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I wouldn’t call it hammered, there’s a blank spot in my collection it would be welcome to fill.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    This is a fully struck proof. Not all proof Buffs are fully struck even tho 95%+ are.

And this is a fully struck circulation strike.

Those are very nice examples. I would say that the strike on one I posted falls between them somewhere. For example 'states' is fully struck, which is often a weak area.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have what I’d call a pretty hammered 13 type 2 in at pcgs on an economy submission.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

"STATES" is a weak area on many dates. Technically, that would remove my coin from the fully struck status to one that's 99%+ full.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

What mine lacks in striking details, it makes up in eye appeal!

• Options

Very pretty!

• Options

Figured I'd post an update here about the coin in the OP.
    PCGS PR64, Needless to say I'm pretty happy about that.

• Options

Nice!

• Options

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Figured I'd post an update here about the coin in the OP.
    PCGS PR64, Needless to say I'm pretty happy about that.

An incredible Buff! Congratulations 👍👌

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file