Home Sports Talk
Options

Biggest scumbag owner

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our own coin collecting convict Bruce McNall.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Monaghan

He fired Ernie Harwell.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laure(sp) of the Eagles.

• Options

Donald Sterling was a bad owner.... he had to sell the team.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Laure(sp) of the Eagles.

Why, because of Michael Vick?

I didn't particularly like that signing either, as i was never a Michael Vick fan.

In any event, that signing was mostly Andy Reid's idea as he had full control over player personnel decisions during his tenure with the Eagles.

BTW - Your Cowboys just signed the scumbag kneeler Michael Bennett.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Laure(sp) of the Eagles.

I didn't particularly like that signing either, as i was never a Michael Vick fan.

In any event, that signing was mostly Andy Reid's idea as he had full control over player personnel decisions during his tenure with the Eagles.

No, I just keep hearing he and Synider are A$$E$. Bennett has already been told he will not stay in the tunnel and will stand for the NA. And he has agreed. If he is any trouble....he will be gone.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The day Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, or rather the way he did it, he locked up the scumbag title for all eternity.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019 2:33PM

Back in time, Harry Frazee, Boston Red Sox. He was famous for selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees, but that was only one of several good players he sold to finance his theatrical endeavors. The Red Sox were one of the best franchises in baseball. After Frazee got done with them, they the bottom of league for years until Tom Yawky bought them. When part of Fenway Park burned, the management didn’t have the money to repair it, not that they could have sold the seats anyway.

In modern times, Art Modell, owner of the Cleveland Browns who carpet bagged the team to Baltimore because he was having financial problems. I don’t remember his name but the guy who owned the Baltimore Colts who sent them to Indianapolis, betraying a loyal fan base is in the same category.

Dumb owners are one thing; devious owners are another. If you can’t afford to own a team, you owe it to the fans to sell it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2019 4:54AM

Here’s another one, Charles Comisky, owner of the Chicago White (Black) Sox. He purposely under paid his best players, who were all stars and even made them pay to clean their uniforms. When they won the 1919 American League championship, he gave them flat Champagne that was said to have tasted like horse urine. After that the players took bribes, and the rest is history.

It really disappointed me when the White Sox named their new park for him. If I had a vote, I’d remove his plaque from the Hall of Fame.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Donald Sterling and Dean Spanos!!

Steve

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    Laure(sp) of the Eagles.

I will take Michael Vick over Bennett any day of the week and twice on Sundays

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Here’s another one, Charles Comisky, owner of the Chicago White (Black) Sox. He purposely under paid his best players, who were all stars and even made they pay to clean their uniforms. When they won the 1919 American League championship, he gave them flat Champagne that was said to have tasted like horse urine. After that the players took bribes, and the rest is history.

It really disappointed me when the White Sox named their new park for him. If I had a vote, I’d remove his plaque from the Hall of Fame.

Shame on them for putting up with that crap.

• Options

Shame on whom, the players?

There was a contract item called the reserve clause which prevented them from moving to any other major league team. If they were to be professional baseball players, they had to play for Comisky until he traded or released them.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Shame on whom, the players?

There was a contract item called the reserve clause which prevented them from moving to any other major league team. If they were to be professional baseball players, they had to play for Comisky until he traded or released them.

Yea the Players, back then they were making about the same as a farmhand so they all should have told the owner to go kill himself and walk out.

• Options

No the highest paid guy on Comisky’s team was Eddie Collins at $6,000, which he had been guaranteed when he signed his contract with the Athletics. Joe Jackson was making $4,000. Ty Cobb’s salary with the Detroit Tigers was $12,000.

The average household income in America was $1,518, so these guys were making higher than average salaries. The best of them could also get product endorsements which supplemented their income. Waking away was not really an option. They had “golden handcuffs” on.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    No the highest paid guy on Comisky’s team was Eddie Collins at $6,000, which he had been guaranteed when he signed his contract with the Athletics. Joe Jackson was making $4,000. Ty Cobb’s salary with the Detroit Tigers was $12,000.

The average household income in America was $1,518, so these guys were making higher than average salaries. The best of them could also get product endorsements which supplemented their income. Waking away was not really an option. They had “golden handcuffs” on.

Ok then that is understandable. So they chose money over their self respect, well they could have sabotaged then I guess, so yea Shame on them.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Art Modell and it isn't even close.

• Options

@keets said:
    Art Modell and it isn't even close.

Baltimore snuck out to Indy.
    Browns snuck out to Baltimore.

Where did the new Browns come from?

• Options

Modell was given a sweetheart deal by the City of Cleveland, his rent at old Municipal Stadium was $1/year for 30+ years. he methodically "stole" the money he saved on that lease and failed to maintain any semblance of decency with the facility, particularly the Restrooms and general plumbing. all the while, he was able to generate revenue off the Stadium for special events AND THE CLEVELAND INDIANS while charging himself rent, making money off of himself. the cash was flowing in until the "tenants" started to complain and demanding either a major renovation or a new facility.

Modell's solution: cut and run to Baltimore. he actually consummated the deal in a plane on the tarmac of Burke Lakefront Airport, some 200-300 yards away from Municipal Stadium. then the new franchise owners had to negotiate with that POS for the return of all the Browns records, etc., it was one of the most despicable things ever done by a non-Politician in the city's history.

to this day the man is despised in Northeast Ohio, and while his legacy may be sound elsewhere it doesn't exist here. there are legions of Clevelanders who would stand in line to urinate on his grave. that may sound disgusting but it is how deeply he affected the area and how unforgiven he will forever remain.

• Options

I never knew all that much about Modell! What a scumbag

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Steinbrenner had his moments with the Yankees. See: Dave Winfield,Yogi Berra, Richard Nixon (Illegal campaign contributions to Nixon, conviction for it) and George was later pardoned by Pres. Reagan. But much is overlooked due to their winning ways. Surprised he was not mentioned here. Read his WIKPEDIA page.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:
    The day Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry, or rather the way he did it, he locked up the scumbag title for all eternity.

I'll give him a tie with Monaghan.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@dallasactuary said:

For what it's worth, it was the program manager at WJR that made the decision to fire Ernie not Monaghan or Bo.

I realize I'm in the incredibly small minority of Tigers fans on this but...he was right. Ernie's game had slipped quite a bit the last couple years and they needed to improve that aspect of the product. Rick Rizzs wasn't necessarily the right guy for the job - though he's proven more than capable with Seattle in the decades since - but they needed to make a change, IMHO.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

@dallasactuary said:

For what it's worth, it was the program manager at WJR that made the decision to fire Ernie not Monaghan or Bo.

I realize I'm in the incredibly small minority of Tigers fans on this but...he was right. Ernie's game had slipped quite a bit the last couple years and they needed to improve that aspect of the product. Rick Rizzs wasn't necessarily the right guy for the job - though he's proven more than capable with Seattle in the decades since - but they needed to make a change, IMHO.

The Tigers owner had the final say on any personnel change. Hell, he canned Schembechler not long after.

The true blunder was not so much getting rid or Ernie, but not responding to the overwhelming support that Harwell received after the news broke. CBS picker Harwell up to do playoff radio and Mike illitch was smart enough to make rehiring him the first order of business when he bought the team.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Donald Sterling pops out.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel Snyder and Peter Angelos. Both deeply hated by their fan bases. You won't find a fan of either team that likes them. Snyder has killed football in DC and Angelos has killed baseball in Baltimore.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

Art Modell still holds the dubious modern record for worst owner, and Harry Frazee of the Babe Ruth era Red Sox is the all-time holder of the classic horse tail owner title.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 9:23AM

@orioles93 said:
    Daniel Snyder and Peter Angelos. Both deeply hated by their fan bases. You won't find a fan of either team that likes them. Snyder has killed football in DC and Angelos has killed baseball in Baltimore.

It's a shame that the Orioles stink so badly. Camden Yards is a beautiful facility. I love watching games there when I was attending the summer Baltimore coin convention.

As an Eagles fan, I rather enjoy watching the scalped Red Skins although they can do better against the Cowboys whenever they want. ;)

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

The Fords owners of the Lions they have no clue about football.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

Steinbrenner may have been a lousy owner but he received good treatment by Larry David!!! :p

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Nutting

EASILY the worst owner in sports.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I never knew all that much about Modell! What a scumbag

Me neither...…...what a scumbag.