Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 1/2 AGE sold out! Announced TODAY- Possible lowest mintage!

TODAY via email to its’ resellers- The US mint announced that 2019 1/2 oz coins are no longer available and finished for the year.

It looks like it is happening again! This years one half ounce is now sold out and it appears the mintage/ sales figures are lower than 2018 (and possibly lower than the key- 1991) which turned out to be a winner and still probably is.

2019 appears to be another sleeper and is currently still available from a few sources- but supply is drying up quickly.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you got one.....got to get them fast...Secondary market will now see the prices rising. Cheers, RickO

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last sales total I saw said 25,000, which puts it among the lowest.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, looks like this year will be just above 91's by 900 coins (dang it!). They are still plentiful out there, just grabbed a couple. THANKs for the head's up @Teamplayer1 :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

1991 - 28 years ago already. Yikes!

As I recall, it took a number of years for the prices to rise on the 1991s. The populations and grades will probably be higher on the newer issues, so this low mintage is interesting, but only time will tell.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • I believe they sold 32,000 in 2018 and those coins sell for $1,200 plus in MS70.

I have heard rumors of 24- 30,000 on this one.

• Coinnews.net reports sales to date of 25,000, but there may have been a last purchase of an unknown quantity which cleaned the Mint out of stock. So we'll have to wait several days to see what that number is may be.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - blindsided on that one lol

Coins & Currency
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

As bullion issues, they just don’t hold the interest overall - why buy the 1/2 oz size when there is less premium and hassle withe full oz.

Also this is a monotonous series that is unchanged for 34 years - longer than the first go-round for the original St Gaudens $20.
    That having been said I did get one a couple months ago.
    Sleeper possibly, but IMO too many slabbed up and not rare in comparison to the few collectors out there.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • @7Jaguars said:
    As bullion issues, they just don’t hold the interest overall - why buy the 1/2 oz size when there is less premium and hassle withe full oz.

Also this is a monotonous series that is unchanged for 34 years - longer than the first go-round for the original St Gaudens $20.
    That having been said I did get one a couple months ago.
    Sleeper possibly, but IMO too many slabbed up and not rare in comparison to the few collectors out there.

These are marketed by year as a collectable set. Therefore, many the bullion issues now command substantial premiums. The money is real. So is the opportunity.

The comparatively low mintage of this issue (and last years) creates more demand and likely cause price appreciation.

Why buy the 1/2 oz? Because that’s where the opportunity to make money lies. Watch what happens here over the next two to twelve months. No guarantees- but the premium to melt is still small.

• I see that there are now purchases of these coins taking place in the $1100 range on eBay. With the mintage of this coin potentially 5000 less than the 2018, and sale prices for 2018 $25s in the $1200 to $1600 range, these coins still could have some room to run.

Which is of course why I have gotten them since issue. However, I do contend demand is likely VERY low. Just too much modern stuff out there.....

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

The price of the '91 and the semi keys ('90, '89 etc.) have dropped quite a bit in the last couple years.

Yes, part of my point as well....

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2019 4:56AM

Bull - YON !
    😪

• come to think of it maybe Bull - yawn would be a better comment
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this last year on the 2018 thread. I post again Here on the 2019 thread. And, probably will again on the 2020 thread as well next year! Lol. So, what happens now to the value of 2018 examples? The same thing that may happen to 2019 examples if and when 2020 or 2021 coins come in at an even lower Mintage... yes?

“Why would I not want the 2006-W half oz. coins at around HALF the mintage of 2018? Those 2006-W still sell (12 years later) at around only 50% over melt in 70 grade! In 25 years when one tries to buy coins in this series, and there are half as many 2006-W in the world as compared to 2018, why will anyone care that the Mint sold the W coins directly to collectors while the bullion coins went to a small group of dealers first? Won’t the W coins be about twice as hard to find with about half the mintage.

What am I missing?

Wondercoin.”

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Because mintmark collecting is not as popular as date collecting is my guess.

edited November 4, 2019 5:06PM

92vette... in 25 years I suspect you will be proven wrong, especially as it pertains to these bullion coins. Let’s hope we are both around to see who is right.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    edited November 5, 2019 10:31AM

I'd love to be proven wrong in 25 years as I went whole hog on burnished eagles and hold many still. They were hot (for awhile actually) and then flamed out. In the short term though Teamplayer is correct that the 2019's will do pretty well.
    I just think dates are bigger hole in a collection than mintmarks.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Don't look now but most of the distributors had increased their premiums on the 2019 from 6% to 9% +/- seemingly overnight.

• @92vette said:
    The price of the '91 and the semi keys ('90, '89 etc.) have dropped quite a bit in the last couple years.

I don’t agree at all with that. I have been selling 1988, 89, and 1990’s for more than ever before in ms69.

• I heard a rumor that the US Mint sold out at 27,000 (lower than last years issue- which turned out good so far). I was told this was published in a numismatic periodical. Can anyone confirm? This could be great news.

@92vette said:

Despite that, I recently had my 90 and 91 graded. I bought them brand new back then and holdered them immediately, not being concerned about their grade since they were plain bullion coins. I was pleasantly surprised to see grades of 68 and 69 on them, respectively.

@Teamplayer1 said:
    I heard a rumor that the US Mint sold out at 27,000 (lower than last years issue- which turned out good so far). I was told this was published in a numismatic periodical. Can anyone confirm? This could be great news.

The latest sales total on their website shows 2,000 sold in November for a total of 27,000.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 7:30PM

This is absolutely unrelated to Gold Bullion but here goes.

Around a month ago I saw a snippet about Pumpkin Spice Spam. I thought it to be interesting and planned to get a few Cans, more as a Joke Item than anything. Well about a week ago I looked for Pumkin Spice Spam and saw that it had SO.D OUT in about 7 hours. I look for it on ebay and Amazon and it's available for about a 300% mark-up,

Just goes to show you, even Spam is scalped if someone believes a crowd of Suckers might be looking for some.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you are buying, it's the "key". When you are selling it's just bullion.

• I heard a rumor that Coin World is working on an article on the sell out of this issue. Can anyone confirm this?

edited November 13, 2019 6:45AM

Please note that the latest sales figures have it now at 5,000 sold in November, bringing the total up to 30,000. Like Mark Twain, the reports of its death may be greatly exaggerated.

• I still see the number as reported on coinnews.net at 2,000 sold in November, as of today. Where are you seeing the total sales for November at 5,000?

edited November 13, 2019 10:05AM

@Gradedmoderncoins said:
    I still see the number as reported on coinnews.net at 2,000 sold in November, as of today. Where are you seeing the total sales for November at 5,000?

Go to the Mint's bullion sales page:

https://usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/bullion-sales?program=American+Eagle&+AmericatheBeautifulSilverBullion5ozCointype=&+AmericanBuffalotype=&+AmericanEagletype=Sales+totals+by+Month&AmericatheBeautifulSilverBullion5ozCoinSalestotalsbyMonthye

• Availability of the 2019 1/2 oz AGE is drying up and price is also moving up- similar to last year. Sales figures show this year’s to be lower by 2,000 coins.

Looking good but over shadowed by the 2019-S reverse proof. Ironically- the mintage appears to be identical.

The mintage on Mint State Boys Town $5 Gold Commems (much more popular coin series than 1/2 oz bullion coins) is 1/10 this amount (around 2,900 coins) and still show “on the sheet” at around melt! Talk about a possible “sleeper” in the years ahead!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Hmmm, not sure about that one. If that is so, then there are precious few collectors of the 1/2s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file