Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 D LSC reverse error

For the Veterans on this site this becomes number twenty of the 2018 D error list I have put together if this one turns out to be what I think it is. The Rim of the coin is not disturbed as would be if it was a wear issue outside of the mint. There fore die deterioration of the die but if you look closely there is one part and its small that's undisturbed leading me to think this die was bad from the start of it's use. Any input on this one is greatly appreciated thank you all

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's weird. It kind of ooks like PMD to me. Like someone started to grind down the back and stopped. What are all those parallel lines? The only argument I have against that is that the shield should have ground down 1st, wouldn't it?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's weird. It kind of ooks like PMD to me. Like someone started to grind down the back and stopped. What are all those parallel lines? The only argument I have against that is that the shield should have ground down 1st, wouldn't it?

I get what you are saying look at the rim it is undisturbed. grinding would surely show on the rim now grinding of the die could be acceptable for causing this but the signature FB is perfect VDB is no where to be found partially unfinished die ?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Awesome struck thru filled die error.

This.
    Funny how the designers initials are the clearest part. You could get a few bucks for that one I bet.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Okay That's logical could be just that. The lines and the Fb signature is perfect what saved fb signature from the dreadful appearance its perfect uniform except for a few areas and what strike through would cause this grease smashes everything out that's not happening here could it be possible for the die to have been ground that way or is it possible that it is an unfinished die that went bad from the start and some how it was mistakenly put into production.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2019 1:41PM

Unfinished die? As I understand it, the face of the die is slightly convex and is pressed against the hub. As with modern doubled dies, the first part of the die to pick up the detail is near the center. I don't see how a die could pick up that much detail and still be unfinished.

Could someone have ground down the die and then put it back in the press? I suppose, but why? Also, if that did happen, the remaining details (especially the initials) would not be consistent with that scenario.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigcrypto said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Okay That's logical could be just that. The lines and the Fb signature is perfect what saved fb signature from the dreadful appearance its perfect uniform except for a few areas and what strike through would cause this grease smashes everything out that's not happening here could it be possible for the die to have been ground that way or is it possible that it is an unfinished die that went bad from the start and some how it was mistakenly put into production.

This is my understanding of how this error happened

The lines visible on the coin are are from rolling the stock before punching out blanks. Since the majority of the die was covered by, assuming grease or wax here, it allowed the planchet to "float' during striking and not be contacted by the die on ~90% of the surface. Since the grease layer was supporting the load, it allowed non-uniformity of the planchet surface(the lines) to remain.
    I am a little surprised that the obverse strike isn't absolutely hammered in this case though. If you look at the bottom of Lincoln's bust you can see the same lines, notice the direction, that remain on the highest parts of the design from not being fully struck out.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@JBK said:
    Unfinished die? As I understand it, the face of the die is slightly convex and is pressed against the concave hub. As with modern doubled dies, the first part of the die to pick up the detail is near the center. I don't se how a die could pick up that much detail and still be unfinished.

Could someone have ground down the die and then put it back in the press? I suppose, but why? Also, if that did happen, the remaining details (especially the initials) would not be consistent with that scenario.

Great description and analyst makes total sense and is logical there seems to be lines under the fb running through the coin. And through high optics it can be seen. Struck through, pressure not right on the press, or planchet damage before strike. This ones got me wondering. This has been a great year for 2018 d LSC errors and varieties. I have many more to show very soon. There's three in the line up that put the the doubled die ear lobe I posted in march to shame. Thanks for your input you are greatly appreciated

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either way, that is one impressive error.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Either way, that is one impressive error.

Thank you sir all input greatly appreciated

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Cou> @ChrisH821 said:

@Bigcrypto said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

The lines visible on the coin are are from rolling the stock before punching out blanks. Since the majority of the die was covered by, assuming grease or wax here, it allowed the planchet to "float' during striking and not be contacted by the die on ~90% of the surface. Since the grease layer was supporting the load, it allowed non-uniformity of the planchet surface(the lines) to remain.
    I am a little surprised that the obverse strike isn't absolutely hammered in this case though. If you look at the bottom of Lincoln's bust you can see the same lines, notice the direction, that remain on the highest parts of the design from not being fully struck out.

That makes sense.

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:

@Bigcrypto said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Well That's a great. Description and analogy of causes that are and can be related to this error. This is simply a good error with just enough going on to tease the mind into what the what happened.thank you very much for your input greatly appreciated

• Options

Yes those are Blanks with just that a blank thanks for the info greatly appreciated

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really interesting grease filled die.....amazing how the designer initials were spared... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

is it just me or does that reverse have potential claims to a ddr?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until Fred chimes in I’m skeptical.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Filled die – struck through grease or other machinery oil on the reverse die

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file