Home U.S. Coin Forum

If an error coin is missing the denomination, is it still money?

2»

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    If a car doesn't have a set of wheels,
    or an engine, don't we still call it a car?

Actually, no.

If I have a car body without wheels or an engine, I call it a "frame" not a car.

Actually you do have a car, even if you need an Uber or Lyft driver to get somewhere. Just cause you're missing most of it doesn't change the fact.

HE>I

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Is this monetized as two cents? ...

That's two E CENTS

Collector, occasional seller

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2019 1:50PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    If a car doesn't have a set of wheels,
    or an engine, don't we still call it a car?

Actually, no.

If I have a car body without wheels or an engine, I call it a "frame" not a car.

Actually you do have a car, even if you need an Uber or Lyft driver to get somewhere. Just cause you're missing most of it doesn't change the fact.

I disagree, sort of. What constitutes "car" in a common social conversation is not necessary what constitutes car in a legal sense.

Since you asked, here ya go!

https://law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/40/85.1703

prev | next
    § 85.1703 Definition of motor vehicle.
    (a) For the purpose of determining the applicability of section 216(2), a vehicle which is self-propelled and capable of transporting a person or persons or any material or any permanently or temporarily affixed apparatus shall be deemed a motor vehicle, unless any one or more of the criteria set forth below are met, in which case the vehicle shall be deemed not a motor vehicle:
    (1) The vehicle cannot exceed a maximum speed of 25 miles per hour over level, paved surfaces; or
    (2) The vehicle lacks features customarily associated with safe and practical street or highway use, such features including, but not being limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or safety features required by state and/or federal law; or
    (3) The vehicle exhibits features which render its use on a street or highway unsafe, impractical, or highly unlikely, such features including, but not being limited to, tracked road contact means, an inordinate size, or features ordinarily associated with military combat or tactical vehicles such as armor and/or weaponry.
    (b) Note that, in applying the criterion in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, vehicles that are clearly intended for operation on highways are motor vehicles. Absence of a particular safety feature is relevant only when absence of that feature would prevent operation on highways.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have no money, can you collect errors? ;)

@topstuf said:
    If you have no money, can you collect errors? ;)

Per another thread, you can buy them without money simply by NOT going fishing. ;)

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins and currency are monetized differently. Coins are obligations of the US Treasury while currency is an obligation of the Federal Reserve Bank.

So is a bank note missing it's treasury seal legal tender? What if the clause that says it's legal tender is there? Does it make a difference if the seal is totally missing vs an obstructed printing where some ink may show? How about an underinked seal that still is embossed?

Yeah, you get similar questions with bank notes, too, but does it really matter since nobody is likely to knowingly spend an error for face value?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

“If an error coin is missing the denomination, is it still money?”

What was/is the answer? Condensed version.

@Hemispherical said:
    “If an error coin is missing the denomination, is it still money?”

What was/is the answer? Condensed version.

Per U.S. code, probably not. It defines the coin as having a certain size and weight and design elements, including denomination.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I scratched the date off of a quarter. The lady at Burger King took it. I got a hamburger. It was delicious. My ability to trade coins for food is my touchstone. It's close enough for all practical purposes. ;)

I see no distinction between a mint-made error and PMD when it comes to this.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say its money if its generally recognized as such. If it looks like a quarter it will be accepted as 25 cents. In theory I suppose if you couldn't spend it because no one will take it, then you could write a letter (ie. email with photo attachments) to the US Mint to request exchange for a replacement due to defective merchandise! Now back to the real world......

"(1)United States coins shall have the inscription “In God We Trust”. The obverse side of each coin shall have the inscription “Liberty”. The reverse side of each coin shall have the inscriptions “United States of America” and “E Pluribus Unum” and a ** designation of the value of the coin.** The design on the reverse side of the dollar, half dollar, and quarter dollar is an eagle..."

Per US Code 31 5112 @ErrorsOnCoins

@REALGATOR said:
    I would say its money if its generally recognized as such. If it looks like a quarter it will be accepted as 25 cents. In theory I suppose if you couldn't spend it because no one will take it, then you could write a letter (ie. email with photo attachments) to the US Mint to request exchange for a replacement due to defective merchandise! Now back to the real world......

That's not what US code 31 says.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you missed my point. Its money if it is accepted as such. If its not accepted then you could invoke US Code 31 or send it to Fred for a nice profit.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically no error coins should be money. They should have been destroyed and never released in the first place.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does the mint say:

Ballistic bag:

America the Beautiful Quarters

To purchase America the Beautiful (ATB) Quarters through the Circulating Bulk Purchase Program, customers (individuals or businesses) must:

purchase the minimum of one bulk bag, which contains 200,000 coins
    pay for the coins at face value ($50,000)

So, fresh leaving the mint, a bag of 200,000 quarters has a face value of $50,000. If there is a blank, an error, a smooshed whatever in the bag, as part of the 200,000, the mint has deemed it worth 25 cents. There is no fine print on excluding missing lettering, denomination, reeding, eye brows on George, etc. making it null and void.

I would believe that if one found such a creature in the bag, it would be SWAPPED out for a replacement, ie, it has the intended value, just tussled and mussed a bit.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I'm sorta cranky. Too much work!!! Slow day hereon CU so what about these:

Why isn't an error quarter w/o edge reeds a nickel?

Is a dime w/o a reverse a nickel?

Is a dollar struck on a tiny fragment only five cents?

Does this prove that Nickels are popular collectibles? >:)

What is proves is someone's mind working overtime ;)

\Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file