Options

Is the market really dead?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2022 2:38AM

@291fifth said:
    I'm not surprised to hear that some of the recent issues are in demand. The number being saved is probably smaller than most realize.

The 2019 "Bethesda Fountain" $25.50 Express Mail stamp routinely sells on eBay for over $100 each for a mint single.
    There are probably many other examples that I am not familiar with.

• Options

@coinnut86 said:
    I recently came across my husband's stamp collection that he inherited from his grandfather. He's near 50, with boxes of boxes of non cancelled stamps, mostly sheets. I know nothing of stamps and nor does he. They've been in boxes (plastic totes) for years. Do we just hold on to them? Is there something we should be looking for? I've only ever collect coins and know nothing of stamps.

Sometimes you get a better tax benefit donating the stamps than you could get cash by selling them. Check out places like https://www.collectibleswithcauses.org/donate-stamp-collection.html and see what they can offer.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it is dead, but I just left an estate sale where the opening day price was $1,200 for an older collection. This collection was enough to fill a tabletop. I peeked quickly through a couple of books but did not see any rarities jump out at me and thought the company running the sale was insane for the price they were asking for the collection. Long story short, the collection sold for full price within 10 minutes of the sale opening. Nuts!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pab1969 said:
    I don't know if it is dead, but I just left an estate sale where the opening day price was $1,200 for an older collection. This collection was enough to fill a tabletop. I peeked quickly through a couple of books but did not see any rarities jump out at me and thought the company running the sale was insane for the price they were asking for the collection. Long story short, the collection sold for full price within 10 minutes of the sale opening. Nuts!

It is very possible the collection was stripped of anything of value leaving thousands and thousands of essentially worthless stamps behind. It was probably best you didn't spend the money on it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@pab1969 said:

It is very possible the collection was stripped of anything of value leaving thousands and thousands of essentially worthless stamps behind. It was probably best you didn't spend the money on it.

I really didn't get the chance to examine all of it. It was a vast collection I would estimate pre-1950's. But I hope whoever paid that much found a gem or two. Usually when I go to these sales, they are practically giving them away. Either way it is a good sign that someone still pays that much for a stamp collection. Personally, I would have made an offer of 250-300.

• Options
    fish1967fish1967 Posts: 101 ✭✭

@THISISMEAGAIN said:
    Great time to be a stamp collector.
    I can buy most of the stamps issued over the last 100 years in unused condition for face value or less. Just mailed some items out using stamps from the 1930s.