Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fresh grades from PCGS

Had a few interesting coins post grades today at PCGS. A few of the images have not posted yet, so will update this post with more when they do. For now enjoy the following:

1784-A Thaler D-1284 - VF35

1790-A Thaler Dav-1284 - VF35

1834-L MM 8 R - AU Details cleaned. This is the one that upsets me the most. From the same collection I found the two Thalers above in, and really a luster bomb with no hairlines I can find...or any signs of cleaning. Just feel like they screwed me a bit on this one :smile: I had it pegged at AU58.

1800-Mo FM Real - XF45 . This Real has so much flashy luster, I figured it for a choice AU with a weak strike (common on 1Rs)...pcgs gave it XF... sigh.

Let me know what you all think....and check back later for a few more.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the third one being a toned over cleaning.

I don't think the grade on the last one really reflects how nice it is. Grading always seems to be harsher on small coins. I think the same condition on an 8R would be a higher grade.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

More beautiful coins as usual! That 34 8R has some nice eye appeal!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

All nice and consistent eye appeal. Congrats

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Peru coin is nice! Too bad about details grade.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got a nice Pillar at Sedwick @Senator32

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    You got a nice Pillar at Sedwick @Senator32

I may have to post it later :smile: ...kinda fell in love. Sorry if I outbid you.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 no I was not after it, just watching the auction. But yes, quite nice!

• Options

Just got the coins back in hand, and I'm curious what you all think. The 1784 is clearly a better coin than the 1790, and yet they got the same grade. I know the envelope toning makes it look like there is more wear than there is....but VF35 seems really harsh for all the rolling luster on the 1784. Here is a video - https://imgur.com/a/fjjgyEv

Thoughts? This is the one I planned to keep, so not really worried about it...just seems more like an XF45 than a VF35 to me.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. So much luster for a VF35. XF45 seems more inline. Yet, even so- I'd rather have it undergraded as anyone would agree it's so. (Is there a huge price spread between VF and XF? I'd be curious.)

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:

Is there a huge price spread between VF and XF? I'd be curious.

Honestly, I have no idea. Just got these in a collection I purchased and I am not very familiar with the type.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice!

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

@braddick said:

Is there a huge price spread between VF and XF? I'd be curious.

Honestly, I have no idea. Just got these in a collection I purchased and I am not very familiar with the type.

I don't think there is a huge price difference. It would be more the principal of the matter. I agree that it's hard to imagine anything lower than XF with that luster. The coins must have had a weak strike or thin planchets.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

Some new images just posted.

1807/6-Mo in AU55 - nice color too. Finest at PCGS with two better at NGC.

1761-Mo in AU50

1835-Zs in AU53 - I call this the 'Torn Cap' variety.

1735-Mo 1/2R in VF35 - I thought it was the 1735/4 overdate.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell us more about the collection! Looks like some nice stuff...

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    Tell us more about the collection! Looks like some nice stuff...

It had the crown-sized coins in this post, plus the Cap Plastics Cob set I have posted about in the past...and then lots of junk (as all collections seem to have). Was cool to see...though wish the Peru 8R had not got cleaned :(

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like there may be a spot of active PVC on that 1761-Mo

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

As good as PCGS is, don't always take their grade for the end-all. You may be right about the Peru coin but can't truly tell from pictures alone as we always like to say.
    I have had some Vicky silver that has come back IMO completely wrong in grade and designation, even when I have supplied standard references and detailed information. It is their prerogative.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.