Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold CAC stickers

Do gold CAC stickers impact how coins are weighted in the registry? If so, how?

If you had a pop 1 gold cac sticker for a date within a series for any grade, how much of a premium do you think it merits?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Liz Coggan

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

No effect on registry at all. Market premium depends on current level of Gold CAC Fever, as well as the age of the plastic it's on, often having little to do with the actual coin.

• CogganCoggan Posts: 12 ✭✭

Might be a good idea to add GOLD CACS to the registry--maybe treat them like a + graded coin or even weight it higher? So few are available.

Thanks for the feedback--I appreciate it.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe CAC will start a registry?

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    PCGS has a vested interest in promoting its own products and services in the registry (such as the bonus for + grades), but does not necessarily have a vested interest in promoting another company's opinion, especially one that their initial grading was incorrect (in the case of a gold CAC). I don't see them adding in any scoring component into their registry based on CAC whatsoever.

Could not have said it better.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CogganCoggan Posts: 12 ✭✭

good point I agree.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Maybe CAC will start a registry?

I read here that they are working on creating one...maybe from the Legend Report?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 9:32AM

Agreed, no added points or emphasis for the Top III TPG.

At the seateddimevarieties (Gerry Fortin) website, CAC does hold value to the registry sets...just in case you want to play the registry game over there.

Liberty Seated and Capped Bust Coinage – Open Set Registry
    http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/reg_index.htm

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coggan said:
    Might be a good idea to add GOLD CACS to the registry--maybe treat them like a + graded coin or even weight it higher? So few are available.

Don't see that happening.

• LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭✭

It also depends on the denomination, type, and actual quality of the coin...

I have seen gold cac’s of proof Franklin not demand large premiums at all, but then I have seen Seated Dollar gold cac’s support larger premiums... Gold CAC Gold coins have recently been demanding extremely strong premiums... I have bought 2 $20 Liberty gold CAC coins, both the same grade, old green holder, etc. and 1 demanded 25% premiums, while the other demanded 100% premiums. Note: both were auctions where there were people directly under me bidding to the end. The one that had 100% premiums, I won by $7 bucks 👀

...also seems that gold cac’s are increasing in popularity and getting harder to acquire as they are being sold as soon as they post... especially with older gold denominations.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for gold STAR stickers. B)

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    PCGS has a vested interest in promoting its own products and services in the registry (such as the bonus for + grades), but does not necessarily have a vested interest in promoting another company's opinion, especially one that their initial grading was incorrect (in the case of a gold CAC). I don't see them adding in any scoring component into their registry based on CAC whatsoever.

I wonder if anyone has ever sent in a gold CAC PCGS slab in to their "reconsideration service".
    That would be an interesting result.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm absolutely certain our hosts would never go along with this! I wouldn't be surprised if anyone but you posted it it would go POOF and still might!

@Coggan said:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold beans usually command a premium in the market place....I think so they can be cracked and resubmitted raw for an upgrade.....Cheers, RickO

From the gold caccoins that i have seen, most of them can be cracked out and upgraded. But because of that, the premium prices actually aren’t premiums, but correct prices for the actual grade of the undergraded coin most times IMO.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the sticker not the coin. Crazy world.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one gold CAC.I can keep it as is and be one out of a dozen or get it one grade higher and one of a thousand ++

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 3:45PM

Anyone else watch the MS63 Oregon in a Rattler gold CAC recently sell on eBay? It went very high IMO. Edit, I did not buy it.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my opinion. It seems most gold CAC coins would need to upgrade more than one grade to rationalize the prices they sell for. Maybe i’m Just jealous!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

I totally agree and would be disappointed if the did alter set value based on any sticker.

@blitzdude said:
    Buy the sticker not the coin. Crazy world.

I agree and do not play that game.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 5:42PM

@oih82w8 said:
    Agreed, no added points or emphasis for the Top III TPG.

At the seateddimevarieties (Gerry Fortin) website, CAC does hold value to the registry sets...just in case you want to play the registry game over there.

Liberty Seated and Capped Bust Coinage – Open Set Registry
    http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/reg_index.htm

That link is not working for me at present, but this one works:
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/openregistry/index.php

In the sales part of his site, Gerry sends the best coins to PCGS, and some to CAC as well.

@REALGATOR said:

@mvs7 said:

I wonder if anyone has ever sent in a gold CAC PCGS slab in to their "reconsideration service".
    That would be an interesting result.

If it had any affect it would probably be negative.

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2019 11:44AM

I looked at gold stickered pcgs coins on eBay and a large number of them were rattlers. And the upcharge for what those coins were real;ly worth was crazy. I think a non stickered MS65 could be had for cheaper than a gold stickered MS64. Not worth that sticker, IMO.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zombie thread

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file