Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Finally found a nice Mexico Pillars 4 Reales this month PCGS AU-55 (currently in a gross NGC holder)

Rarely have I been excited about an AU-55 grade coin...but a Pillar 4 Reales qualifies. Have been hunting for one of these for a few years now. Sadly, the last owner crossed it from the PCGS 55 holder to an NGC 55 holder...so will have to fix that...but could not be happier. Only one better is MS-62 and sold for 13K!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the 4R denomination. If I recall the other P62 was the Cardinal ex. Pittman coin which was purchased from the Stacks sale.

I have three at present all the top pops for the mint
    1733-Mo P63
    1770-P P50
    1770-PTS P62

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy hell @Boosibri ! The 1733 must have cost a fortune.....and in 63!!! WOW.

I see the Bolivia examples more frequently ....but Mo examples in high grade seem like Unicorns.

• Options

@Senator32 said:

I see the Bolivia examples more frequently ....but Mo examples in high grade seem like Unicorns.

Won’t post it here so as to not take away further from your post but will share it later

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:

By date, each of the Bolivia dates is more common (or appears to be more common) than many or most Mexico dates. This is also what Yonaka's research shows in his recently published reference.

In better or somewhat better quality, there are a limited number of 1770's; more than most or all Mexico dates in terms of availability. However, the prior referenced 1770 MS-62 is one of the very few known coins like it. There is also a PCGS AU-58 (ex-Cardinal), the Sellschopp 1767 (not graded) and I have seen one or maybe two others from other dates that might also qualify.

Most Bolivia pillar dates from all denominations while not that scarce absolutely, usually come in abysmal quality.

By the way, as an AU-55, your coin looks better to me than many others graded higher. It's a really nice coin.

• Options

I have seen more 1770-PTS and 1761-MOs by a factor of maybe 10:1 vs any other dates.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info! That matches my experience with 4 Reales. I am very happy to have an example in my collection I can be proud of (my last example was in like Fair 2 lol)

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:
    Rarely have I been excited about an AU-55 grade coin...but a Pillar 4 Reales qualifies. Have been hunting for one of these for a few years now. Sadly, the last owner crossed it from the PCGS 55 holder to an NGC 55 holder...so will have to fix that...but could not be happier. Only one better is MS-62 and sold for 13K!

13k !! not to shabby B)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.