Home Sports Talk
Options

Halloween OT candy thread.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had to live off of only three brands of candies and water for a month...what would you select.

I would go with Reeses peanut butter cups.

Red licorice. (they have flour in the mix)

Raisinets. (Goobers are way better but need some fruit in the diet)

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatchamacallit

Raisins (you see this less today but I got the small box all the time)

Starburst

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almond M&M’s, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Almond Joy

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'll have anything that isn't tooty fruity.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 10:25AM

As a kid i received 25 cents allowance per week.

You've already guessed it. Each Saturday throughout the late spring, summer, and early fall, it was a bike ride to the candy store and i selectively invested the money in baseball cards, Goobers and Raisinets. If i received a nice haul from the tooth fairy, that sometimes went towards comic books. :D

So i guess it would still be the Goobers and Raisinets. With the third choice being Slim Jims...is that a candy? :)

• Options

@stevek said:
    With the third choice being Slim Jims...is that a candy? :)

Sure, why not?

I worked in a drug store in the mid 1970's. Ran the liquor counter. Steady diet of slim jims, jerky and those spicy little hot dogs in the plastic wrapper.

Moved to the front register and switched to chunkies, butterfingers and peanut butter cups.

It was good to be 6 foot 2 and 155 pounds.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:
    With the third choice being Slim Jims...is that a candy? :)

Sure, why not?

I worked in a drug store in the mid 1970's. Ran the liquor counter. Steady diet of slim jims, jerky and those spicy little hot dogs in the plastic wrapper.

Moved to the front register and switched to chunkies, butterfingers and peanut butter cups.

It was good to be 6 foot 2 and 155 pounds.

I like it. In this thread we can create our own damn rules, even when it makes no sense. :D

I was going to mention Bazooka bubble gum, the little approx one inch square gum that included the Bazooka Joe little comic in there, the comic which even as a kid always sucked.

Of course the problem is that swallowing gum as a food sustenance normally isn't a good idea. LOL

• Options

Loved the little bazookas and you had to remove the embedded comic from the gum.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Loved the little bazookas and you had to remove the embedded comic from the gum.

That's right, i had forgot about that. :)

• Options

I wish I could enjoy a butterfinger. Everytime I try to eat one, it just seems like I'm chewing on rocks. There's too much of that stuff in the middle, and not enough chocolate.

• Options

Speaking of the little Bazooka Gum the Strawberry is delicious! Hard to find but worth it 👍

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I wish I could enjoy a butterfinger. Everytime I try to eat one, it just seems like I'm chewing on rocks. There's too much of that stuff in the middle, and not enough chocolate.

They could be kind of gritty. Zagnut was the better choice.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just 3?? Blasphemy, I need 4 - sour, chocolatey, fruit, cinnamon

Rolos to cover choc/caramel
    Tie: Red hots/fireballs, something cinnamon
    Tie: Variety pack of blowpops or jolly ranchers for the fruit
    Tie: The big Lemonheads/sour patch kids for sour

Now, if those old school Brach candy bins that used to be in the grocery store was still around I could make do with a mix bag I made myself (counting as 1, ha):
    peppermint, the blue mint, cinnamon, caramel cubes, cherry balls, royals, lemon drops...etc

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Gummy Bears
    Snickers
    Gum (health purposes)

Cherry Sours

• Options

When I run out of candy, I give the trick or treaters 1 piece of ham each.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just chewing on some Hot Tamales while reading through this thread.

M&Ms w/nuts (almond preferred, will settle for peanuts if I have to, how about some cashews for their next 'flavor'?)
    Ghiradelli 92%
    Cinnamon (don't care if it's Red Hots, Fireballs, Hot Tamales, toothpicks, etc.)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

de nada por adelantado

• Options

This thread is going to cause me to go to the convenient store. As usual, when I get to the store the high school freshman kids will ask me to buy them a pack of smokes. Thanks a lot.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Hershey's Almonds
    Jolly Ranchers
    Kit Kats

I'd like to have some fruit in there, but the Jolly Ranchers will have to do.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I had to live off it for a month, I guess I would throw out my favorite, Milky way,
    and replace it with Snickers for the peanuts. Snickers has just the right amount of peanuts,

Snickers.
    Peanut M&M's- if getting too much chocolate in the diet, peel off the candy shell
    and just eat the peanuts. Gotta have peanuts to sustain your strength over a month's time.
    Strawberry Twizzlers- Delicious!
    Candy corn for my vegetable.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baby Ruth
    Chuckles
    Mounds

Not my top 3 but all very good, and if I only get three I want as much variety as I can get.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

5th Avenues are the bomb, followed closely by Mountain Bars (peanut butter version).

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:
    Baby Ruth
    Chuckles
    Mounds

Not my top 3 but all very good, and if I only get three I want as much variety as I can get.

Baby Ruth only had to compete with Cracker Jack and Jawbreakers back then. Against Three Musketeers and Turkish Taffy, the Babe had no chance. Nik-l-nips too, but they were juiced.

• Options

A 100 Grand Bar is worthy of being mentioned

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    A 100 Grand Bar is worthy of being mentioned

That's actually my favorite candy bar, but the combination of really sweet and really sticky would get old before the month was out.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

M&M Peanut
    Snickers
    Mounds

• Options

I always give out quarters instead of candy to the trick or treaters, and they always seem to like it. The better the costume, the more quarters they get. A great costume can result in five or more quarters, especially a neighbor's kid. Anyone else, lousy costume around 2 quarters.

I tell them they can then buy whatever candy they want next time they're at the grocery store, and they always seem quite happy about that.

I wonder though with kids today if the quarter denomination is enough? I was considering switching to half dollars or even dollar coins. 🤔

• Options

@stevek said:
    I always give out quarters instead of candy to the trick or treaters, and they always seem to like it. The better the costume, the more quarters they get. A great costume can result in five or more quarters, especially a neighbor's kid. Anyone else, lousy costume around 2 quarters.

I tell them they can then buy whatever candy they want next time they're at the grocery store, and they always seem quite happy about that.

I wonder though with kids today if the quarter denomination is enough? I was considering switching to half dollars or even dollar coins. 🤔

For a little kid, 4-8 years old that is a cool treat, kids love money just because it’s something they don’t probably handle quite a bit. Good job Steve 👍👍

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

How many quarters for a Tom Brady costume?

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

Should that ever occur, i'll have to make a quick executive decision as to the value. LOL

But if Perkdog was using a Halloween costume award system, and a trick or treater came by his house with a Tom Brady costume, he'd be reaching for the $20 bills. ;)

• Options

I will have this sitting on my porch tonight when the trick treaters come to my door. It will scare the hell out of them...

• Options

You know, on second thought, I think I will just go to the door in my Rosie O' Donnell costume. That will scare the hell out of the trick or treaters.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

How many quarters for a Tom Brady costume?> @stevek said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

Should that ever occur, i'll have to make a quick executive decision as to the value. LOL

But if Perkdog was using a Halloween costume award system, and a trick or treater came by his house with a Tom Brady costume, he'd be reaching for the $20 bills. ;)

Au contraire...Paul hands out benjis for a Tom Brady costume.

You OTOH are wearing this tonight...hoping kids will run away...thus, you get to keep your 75 cents, taken from your piggy bank for tonight's cookie crushers.

• Options

No john candy jokes yet?

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

How many quarters for a Tom Brady costume?> @stevek said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

Au contraire...Paul hands out benjis for a Tom Brady costume.

You OTOH are wearing this tonight...hoping kids will run away...thus, you get to keep your 75 cents, taken from your piggy bank for tonight's cookie crushers.

Lemme guess - You have a package of M&M's and hand them out to the Halloween kids, one M&M at a time. :D

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    You know, on second thought, I think I will just go to the door in my Rosie O' Donnell costume. That will scare the hell out of the trick or treaters.!

Rosie O'Donnell truly is frightening.

On a dark Halloween night, i'd rather meet a werewolf. LOL

• Options

Trick or Treating was last night for my town, it’s pouring buckets today so it was a good call 👍

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Mama Cass would have shared that sandwich with Karen Carpenter ……. they would both be alive today. :oB)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    If Mama Cass would have shared that sandwich with Karen Carpenter ……. they would both be alive today. :oB)

Karen always went to the beat of her own drum.

• Options

@artee said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I didn't realize until I just googled her that she played drums and was very good!

• Options

😉

• Options

I like nerds!

And the candy is pretty good, too.

• Options
    edited October 31, 2019 12:35PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@artee said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I didn't realize until I just googled her that she played drums and was very good!

Welcome to 1973, Jon.

;)

• Options

galaxy27 will be distributing these tonight while supplies last

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@artee said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Welcome to 1973, Jon.

;)

I remember 1973 and "The Carpenter's". I always saw her singing at the Mic...…..never behind drums. :/

Oh Well, as they say.....you learn something new every day. :)

• Options

It was tough to lead sing and play drums.

She was solid if not spectacular.

https://youtu.be/ie1WWWOxhMs

• Options

That Karen Carpenter sure is skinny in that video.

I would say she'd better eat something or she may starve to death.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

First bucket mix, already had a couple kids....grabby

• Options

@stevek said:
    That Karen Carpenter sure is skinny in that video.

I would say she'd better eat something or she may starve to death.

She kept asking for drumsticks and they brought her more instruments.

:/

• Options

if anyone ever starts a top 5 singing voices of all time thread, i'll be mentioning Karen Carpenter

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    if anyone ever starts a top 5 singing voices of all time thread, i'll be mentioning Karen Carpenter

Get it started, Galaxy. I have already reached my october quota.