Home Metal Detecting
Options

More Money -- More problems.....Staffordshire Hoard of Anglo-Saxon treasure

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two men who uncovered £3.3m Staffordshire Hoard of Anglo-Saxon treasure remain at war 10 years after they fell out over the discovery
Their find, on July 5, 2009, became an international sensation and was sold off to museums, leaving the men rich.

But the duo fell out over the cash, with Mr Herbert claiming Mr Johnson wanted it all for himself.

He even said his find of 3,900 artefacts - Britain's largest ever haul of Anglo-Saxon treasure - was a curse and blamed it on ruining his friendship with Mr Johnson.

At an event to mark the 10th anniversary of the discovery, Mr Johnson admitted he and his former friend had failed to bury the hatchet.

Asked whether he regretted losing Mr Herbert as a friend, he added: 'My only regret is that I didn't keep a diary and address book.

'Terry was never a friend, so I haven't lost any friends. He hasn't got in touch.

The Staffordshire County Council archaeologist at the time Stephen Dean said the 5kg of pure gold and 2.5kg of silver was mainly on helmets, swords and shields and most probably belonged to royalty or nobles.

more here https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/two-men-who-uncovered-£33m-staffordshire-hoard-of-anglo-saxon-treasure-remain-at-war-10-years-after-they-fell-out-over-the-discovery/ar-AADRTww

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing hoard and story.... such a shame it devolved into a personal dispute such that friendships were destroyed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

That collection is so insanely beautiful.. I love the look of gold and garnet

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing finds "over there". Just amazing.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Humans exhibit some weird behavior over the love of money. Half of any find of this magnitude would be enough for this detectorist. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason that cache hunters never talk about their finds, is exactly because claimants will come out of the walls and woods trying to get all or part of the find. Sorry, if I find it, I keep it....Now, the exception to that is personal jewelry items that are attributable to the people who lost them. I do not consider items such as that part of cache hunting. Cheers, RickO