Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What makes a coin "special" to you?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a personal thing that makes it a keeper?

What makes a coin "special" to you?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go for Unique coins so I chose rarity.

• Options

@ricko said:
    For me, it is a combination of design, condition, rarity and last, cost. Normally, no single parameter is a decision point....so therefore, I could not really vote in this poll. Cheers, RickO

Picking a ....primary....choice would make it an interesting poll.
    You mention design first. Would that be the overriding point for you?

• Options
    edited October 29, 2019 6:25AM

I consider the whole spectrum also, but ain't nobody gettin the 1908-s penny I got from Grammaw!
    :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf ...Probably... though I have passed on design for condition.... and also passed on condition for design.... really hard to say since it is the overall coin that rings the 'buy' bell in my mind....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

what makes a coin "Special" to me is one that combines all of the characteristics mentioned in the OP plus other qualities.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin that you do not lose money on when you sell.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not vote because if I cannot put it into words, there is no way I can pick one answer. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm drawn to coins that are tied to a significant historical event or era that I find interesting. A CWT with a portrait of George McClellan, a Judea Capta Denarius of Vespasian, an 1848 CAL. quarter eagle (I don't have one), an Athenian Owl, German Notgeld. You get the idea. I like researching and understanding the history behind the coins I consider special. Even though a lot of my special coins won't increase in value as much as some rarites, I've received a tremendous amount of value in the form of knowledge. That's why I still collect coins after all these years

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 8:12AM

Love these designs. Absolutely beautiful coins. I use rarity as my chose as well so if there was an option to chose rarity and design I would do that option

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above, minus the cost.

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I did not vote because if I cannot put it into words, there is no way I can pick one answer. :)

This isn't Trump/Hillary, you know. :o

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

I chose rarity as it fits best. That doesn't just mean design rarity. It can be an exceptionally struck, beautifully toned buff, for instance. Anything that makes the coin pop out of the display case at you.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

eye appeal and how It looks to me. some of the others up top might make the cut up top later, fwiw

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the above combined for me.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster You said it best for me, although I have some coins that are simply commercial/economic/savings vehicles.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

easy:
    The fact that I own it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 1:41PM

ALL of the above.

Design, rarity, grade, history, strike, luster, eye appeal, etc.....

Also, certain coins may have personal significance, such as, birth year, anniversary, when you acquired it, from whom you acquired it, etc.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    ALL of the above.

Design, rarity, grade, history, strike, luster, eye appeal, etc.....

Also, certain coins may have personal significance, such as, birth year, anniversary, when you acquired it, from whom you acquired it, etc.

You may consider that the 6th option. :D

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I answered rarity but with a caveat. I don't buy designs I dislike, the one I almost exclusively buy is my favorite. but I am concurrently not interested in more than a very low proportion that are easy to buy. My definition of "easy to buy" includes the "descriptors" and specialization currently prevalent in US collecting..

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 3:10PM

"Rarity" means CASH! :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have coins that mean a lot to me because my family owned them. Then I have coins that mean a lot to me because they are connected to my birth state. Finally I have coins that mean a lot to me because I feel like I got a good deal. Then there are all the rest, which I like too 😃.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned &/or dirty saints w/ pretty faces.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget popularity of the coin.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Historically significance .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really consider much that I have as special. Of course, I am a low budget collect. So what I would consider special is a coin with sentimental value. I have 1 of those.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarity makes a coin desirable.

Condition makes a coin valuable.

History makes a coin interesting.

Provenance makes a coin special.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 7:56PM

Eye appeal is #1... this is the reason I hold onto a coin.
    Since there is no such choice in the pool, I'll choose rarity instead. :)

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    I don't really consider much that I have as special. Of course, I am a low budget collect. So what I would consider special is a coin with sentimental value. I have 1 of those.

I really like your gold Indian that you have posted here before in NGC 62. It's a beautiful piece. I would certainly call it special.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to coins, I have trouble defining "special" but I certainly know it when I see it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

@toyz4geo said:
    It has to "call" out to me......if that makes any sense.

All my coins are special to me. The above statement makes a lot of sense to me as this is how I buy all my coins. I have the hardest time getting this across to the dealers at the shows.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW I said "how I got it"... there are some coins in my collection that i got from my grandfather when I first started collecting coins as a kid.

Then, there are others that are a combination of rarity, quality, and price that make them "special".

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

My answers are not in your poll.

Surfaces and/or provenance. Cherrypick would be a close third.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the choices, I selected rarity. Before seeing the options, I would have selected unusually superb eye appeal.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it's about history. I'm still searching for the 1933 St Gaudens within my price range.

• Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 7:44PM

Year of birth, year when I met the other half, and anniversary will also make a coin "special" to me.
    Surely have to be rare as well. :)

This one is special to me. 2001 is my son's birth year. I'm keeping something rare and cool for him. Hope he'll eventually get hooked into coin collecting. :)

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

when they talk to you, and give you that special feeling

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@happycollecting said:
    Year of birth, year when I met the other half, and anniversary will also make a coin "special" to me.
    Surely have to be rare as well. :)

This one is special to me. 2001 is my son's birth year. I'm keeping something rare and cool for him. Hope he'll eventually get hooked into coin collecting. :)

Happy, birth years and major error coinage have always gone together for me. Fortunately for you and your son, 2001 was a great year for error coins.

All for members of my immediate family all have birth years with great major error coinage.

I am so amazed that 2007 turn out to be a year for extreme major error coinage which also happens to be my son's birth year.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

It's the history for me. Either how the coin was acquired, or the tales the coin could tell.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Got a personal thing that makes it a keeper?

Yes, anything @ricko does NOT like. :D

But seriously you missing the EA option, because that is mine.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it when a coin I bought raw grades as I thought it would. Nice to get some affirmation of my coin eye
    Add a CAC sticker and that’s a special coin in my book

• Options

Only certain coins would I consider special but my latest pick up certainly is special to me. I first heard about this coin in 2012 and was always intrigued by it, this past Monday is was available to me and I jumped on it! :smiley:

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file