Options

So this is new! Walker Fans: a PL 41-S

Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is the 1st PL Walker.
I checked pop reports from 41-47.
Its the only one listed.
Ebay apmex listed, bring your wallet!!

Item: 123920830590

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

40-S and 41-S are your most likely PL-ish Walkers, with a very occasional 42-S or 44-S in the mix.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting and rarely seen.
    I had, or may still have somewhere, a 36S that was somewhat PL.
    This one also has some PL/cameo contrast hard to capture in a photo:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PL Walkers are super nice....All my slabbed Walkers were entombed before the PL designation....and looking at them, none would get it now. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 9:54AM

Is it hazy?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Love those PL's. I have a 42-S that I may have to try.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 10:02AM

VERY tough and rare to get the PL designation. Usually, the sun on the obverse will hold the coin back from being fully PL. That is a NICE one with a VERY healthy price tag. I like them but not enough to spend that type of money---I'd rather put it towards an early Walker or key date SLQ. JMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    VERY tough and rare to get the PL designation. Usually, the sun on the obverse will hold the coin back from being fully PL. That is a NICE one with a VERY healthy price tag. I like them but not enough to spend that type of money---I'd rather put it towards an early Walker or key date SLQ. JMHO.

Seeing as how it's apart from the fields, I wouldn't think the sun would be considered in a decision regarding a PL designation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking of cameo?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2019 10:20AM

@MFeld said:

@Walkerfan said:

Seeing as how it's apart from the fields, I wouldn't think the sun would be considered in a decision regarding a PL designation.

What you're saying makes sense but I've heard from several different sources that it is considered.

• Options
    edited October 29, 2019 10:26AM

@lcoopie said:
    Thinking of cameo?

Maybe that's it.....I may have confused the two.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice👌🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't care for it at all, especially at the moon money price. Of course Apmex can charge whatever they want, maybe someone will pony up.

And what are these PL's anyway? Could they simply be business strikes struck on a leftover proof planchet?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm impressed. But I'm not THAT impressed!

Tom

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

Tons of die polish lines. I like it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerfan said:

What you're saying makes sense but I've heard from several different sources that it is considered.

I've seen PL Walkers over the years. None were designated at the time but we all considered them PL. I don't know anything about what the PCGS OR NGC look for to get the PL designation; however, to the best of my memory, every PL Walker was PL all over as if someone polished the entire die - even the recesses. The coins were 100% unmolested and original.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beauty and an amazing strike

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file