Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Stacks Bowers auctions Baltimore show

14 sessions in all, floor and internet. All U.S. coins, tokens, medals. Nothing to offer for World & Ancient enthusiasts. What does that tell you?

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom said:
    14 sessions in all, floor and internet. All U.S. coins, tokens, medals. Nothing to offer for World & Ancient enthusiasts. What does that tell you?

They just held 2 sessions of world coinage auctions by internet in the last couple weeks.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't think they've ever been that big into world coinage.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 7:43PM

@atom said:

Time to buy some world coin. They are hot especially china pre-1949. Price keep moving up year after year.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom said:

It tells me they are having trouble getting world consignments.

Remember they used to have a full-blown world auction every November in Baltimore? Then they stopped and said they would consolidate with January NYINC.

• Options

@neildrobertson said:

What?

Original Stacks had Coin Galleries which did exclusively world coin auctions. And the combined entity (Stacks-Bowers[-ANR]) bought Ponterio & Associates, another exclusive world coin auctioneer.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

For Stack's Bowers, the NYINC and ANA shows each feature large auctions with live and online sessions for world and ancient, and there are three world and ancient CCO auctions throughout the year, not to mention the two HK auctions, also with live and online sessions.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    I have found some great world coins there over the years. This lot is in transit from the Stacks auction last week:
    German States - Passau 1/8 taler

One of the cooler designs! Congrats!

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Heritage gets in a larger amount of world coins but Stacks has a decent amount too, just not as many auctions as Heritage does.

World coins are selling well, on ebay, I'm always being outbid on lots of slabbed world crowns, I'm seeing more people interested in world coins at the local shows, and on Instagram I'm following some middle eastern collectors and other collectors from around the world and I'm seeing lots of great new purchases every week. I've upped the amount of slabbed world coins I've added to my collection but a large amount as well.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@neildrobertson said:

What?

Original Stacks had Coin Galleries which did exclusively world coin auctions. And the combined entity (Stacks-Bowers[-ANR]) bought Ponterio & Associates, another exclusive world coin auctioneer.

I don't really have any background on them. When I've looked at their catalog in the past for stuff I'm interested in, Germany and German States, they don't have a huge number of items. They'll usually have a handful of really choice Thalers and similar coins and then a handful of more average stuff. It wasn't enough for me to even look at their offerings on a consistent basis.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up this one last week listed in D&P as very scarce ....a pop one at PCGS and original .

https://images.pcgs.com/TrueView/38287131_max.jpg

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@neildrobertson said:

What?

Agree.

Currently though, combining the quantity (don't recall the quality generally) the predecessor firms used to offer versus what they offer now, I'd say the new Stacks has probably lost some market share, mostly to Heritage but maybe also to Sedwick. Goldberg seems to as well. Never hardly even read about them on this forum anymore.

I don't know about German states coinage or other areas I don't really follow. Stacks still has really good Latin material and I have bought a few from them for what I think are low to reasonable prices. The volume and variety they offer now in Latin coinage is definitely less than Ponterio used to have from my recollection. I got rid of my old catalogues when I moved in 2011.

• Options
    edited November 1, 2019 4:47AM

In response to the OP, if you look at the number of lots sold in the Heritage archives, it's probably a reasonable representation of the general preference by US collectors for world versus US coinage, maybe even overstated.

Ratio by number of lots is currently 7-1 and slightly higher in the higher price tiers. I'm making an assumption based upon the foreign participation in Heritage auctions and the US participation at other firms that don't sell (hardly any) US coinage.
    Whatever the actual ratio, it's lopsided in favor of US coinage by US collectors which is reflected in the bigger auctions such as Heritage and Stacks.

Same thing at the shows I have attended where there is plenty to buy in US material but a lot less from world and ancient. Anyone can buy practically any US coin they want (I'd say in the vicinity of 95% excluding specialization and areas like patterns) maybe just not in the quality they want.

For world, there is also a lot to buy, but given the variety available and the frequently greater scarcity, it's mostly what I would describe as common stuff. Mileage will vary depending upon the show but I have never found hardly anything. This is mostly ANA (both), Long Beach once and Baltimore once.

• Options

NY International show is the place for world coins.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

What?!? Not the Summer ANA show? :'(

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Zohar said:

My collecting interests are fairly esoteric, and I’ve (generally speaking) done much better on the ANA bourse floor than the NYINC bourse floor. Auctions notwithstanding.

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Zohar said:

Yes you are right.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@EVillageProwler said:

@Zohar said:

My collecting interests are fairly esoteric, and I’ve (generally speaking) done much better on the ANA bourse floor than the NYINC bourse floor. Auctions notwithstanding.

Same here. There are a few dealers that to my knowledge don't have a website whose inventory I have never seen who do or might attend the shows I missed.

Someone at the ANA once told me that FUN was also a good option but I have never been able to conveniently fit it into my schedule. I can drive and it used to be close to my sister's house. Chicago and NY would unlikely be worth it. I can use hotel points and miles if I choose, but I'd be disappointed if I came home empty handed as I expect.