Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$20 St Gauden's or Liberty Head in a PCGS Doily- How rare are they?

Does anyone own one or multiple?

ANA Member
PCGS Platinum Member

_Successful BST transactions with:
McGrump, Spummybum, Tightbudget, JasonRiffeRareCoins, PerryHall, Blu62vette, Sandman70gt, BobSav, Dscoin, Pnies20, JTHawaii, Meltdown

Comments

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that rare for Type. I have owned 5 . . . . .and they show up pretty much all the time.

Drunner

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a Saint Gaudens to GreatCollections and should get listed in next couple weeks

1927 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagle PCGS MS-63 OGH (Doily)

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

This "doily" bit strikes me as just another "one-way market". Think twice before paying any premium for such coins. Will you be able to get a premium when it comes time to sell or will you be laughed out of the dealer's shop. Asking prices for buy-it-now offerings on eBay mean nothing. What you want to know are "buy" prices, if there are any.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    This "doily" bit strikes me as just another "one-way market". Think twice before paying any premium for such coins. Will you be able to get a premium when it comes time to sell or will you be laughed out of the dealer's shop. Asking prices for buy-it-now offerings on eBay mean nothing. What you want to know are "buy" prices, if there are any.

I’m not a collector of slabs but I understand the draw to them. I agree that you wouldn’t recoup your money for older collectible slabs from a dealers shop, but I think there is still money to be made in private sales of these items.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 4:58AM

There is a Doily Saint on Great Collections, including CAC, https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/771400/1909-S-Saint-Gaudens-Gold-Double-Eagle-PCGS-MS-61-CAC-OGH-Doily they pop up periodically, finding a doily completely intact, with outer ring, is another thing.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:

@291fifth said:

I’m not a collector of slabs but I understand the draw to them. I agree that you wouldn’t recoup your money for older collectible slabs from a dealers shop, but I think there is still money to be made in private sales of these items.

But can you actually find the "private" buyer who will pay the premium without extra cost and a waste of valuable time?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of my gold are in Doily slabs...I am happy about that... I do not collect slabs, but would probably want to sell them to those that collect in that area.... just because I don't care. Then I would have to part with a coin that I selected because it was special to me. Not a good situation. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    There is a Doily Saint on Great Collections, including CAC, https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/771400/1909-S-Saint-Gaudens-Gold-Double-Eagle-PCGS-MS-61-CAC-OGH-Doily they pop up periodically, finding a doily completely intact, with outer ring, is another thing.

what is outer ring?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The early PCGS generation plastic was a rattler with an outer ring that had the PCGS logo on it, bottom right. Not sure why anyone thought it would add a layer of security.

Legend has it outer rings were commonly removed so that the inner slab would fit in rattler boxes that were more common in that period of time.

I'm an avid buyer of PCGS plastic as are others. Some don't care - that's fine for them and leaves more for me.

Compare these 2 currently on GC and you can see the difference.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those that might care, there are 3 different Doily labels that are aligned like the early generation 2.0, 2.5 and 3.5 generations (Condor101 classification), shown here (excluding samples). Can you see the difference?

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

I've collected all the old holders, NGC black, 2.1, 2.0, PCGS Regency, white label rattlers, etc. Even built a complete 144 piece all rattler commem set.

But I finally stopped buying doilies as more and more just kept coming out of the woodwork. Cool to have at least 1, though.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not rare, and remember, buy the coin not the holder / cac sticker lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    howephowep Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

Collecting a set of doilies is really fun and challenging. My early S Mint CAC Doily Set (5 coins)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:
    Some gold is pretty easy to find in a Doily, some isn't...

Dahlonega and a doily. That’s just awesome!

• Options

a couple Saint-Gaudens closing in a couple days at Great Collections

Lakesammman, I was looking at your labels quiz and wonder if there is a difference. The old dot matrix printers had pre-printed paper and perforations. I can see the PCGS in white overlay and 4 rows of them. They alternated between 3 and 4 PCGS's in a row. The difference I am seeing is what is on the bottom, 3 or 4. I suspect the label to the right and left are the other version than what the coin has. I have inverted the colors on one of your slab labels to make PCGS more easily seen.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold a proof gold CAC 1941 Mercury dime doily for $25 more than I paid for it from a big time, doily-heavy national dealer at a local show recently. And that included the extra 10% to the dealer I consigned it to for the balance of the weekend, local show I was attending. It didn't last more than 30 minutes on the bourse floor.

And as a 65, I bought it because it looked 66 easily (as the gold CAC endorsed), and was just a really nice coin, which is why I bought it in the first place.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file