Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the grade on this double eagle.....

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts????

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

63/shot 64? Looks to be relatively clean, mark-wise, for large gold.
    Luster perhaps a little muted under what looks like some haze on the surface.
    Not sure if that's what's also causing the appearance of a faint pinkish halo on the
    the obverse as well - near Liberty's chin, the ear, and under the back of the hair.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    63/shot 64? Looks to be relatively clean, mark-wise, for large gold.
    Luster perhaps a little muted under what looks like some haze on the surface.
    Not sure if that's what's also causing the appearance of a faint pinkish halo on the
    the obverse as well - near Liberty's chin, the ear, and under the back of the hair.

I see the pink. What other two colors do you see on the obverse?

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details scratches

Many happy BST transactions
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone soak may help that pink and greenish hue that appears to be from 'nose grease". But, then don't worry about my comment much as I do not collect gold at all.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks 63 if no rub...

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58.

When in doubt, don't.

@Insider2 said:
    >

Gold, and perhaps light yellow/green....

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 63 / MS 64

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 or 64. Under different lighting or if examined in-hand I may grade it differently.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

63-64.

• ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any more guesses? Thoughts on the pinkish colors mentioned above? Real or lighting??

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

stick my neck out of my ol' turtle shell.... 64?

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

63+

• ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

MS61

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

If straight-graded, my guess is that the coin is MS64.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression is 63....if luster is more pronounced than in picture (or haze removed), perhaps 64. Cheers, RickO

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

LCoopie = Les
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+

• AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭
    1. I think I see very slight rub, but hard to tell with the lighting. I think it got market graded 62.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

Some good guesses. This one is straight graded in an old NGC holder as MS64. Still not sure what has caused the pinkish color mentioned but it doesn't look like old putty. Not sure about an old dip though. Still trying to learn more about gold coins.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 64 I graded before I saw the Slab.

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Insider2 said:
    >

Gold, and perhaps light yellow/green....

Pink, Gold (yellow), and Tan (darker color where the rub is on the cheek and hair braids..

@Aercus said:
    62. I think I see very slight rub, but hard to tell with the lighting. I think it got market graded 62.

There is very slight rub on the coin and you see it. This amount of rub is often ignored - otherwise twenties with perfect, unbroken, mint luster on the high points would be very rare. Similar case with Capped Bust half dollars.

@erwindoc said:
    Any more guesses? Thoughts on the pinkish colors mentioned above? Real or lighting??

I'd like to hear other comments besides this: IMO, the pink is a rose gold alloy. The copper/gold mix is not homogeneous causing the two major colors, rose and gold color gold.

@Insider2 said:

>

There is very slight rub on the coin and you see it. This amount of rub is often ignored - otherwise twenties with perfect, unbroken, mint luster on the high points would be very rare. Similar case with Capped Bust half dollars.

Interesting - Thanks @Insider.

Yes, interesting lesson! Love this forum for the free learning opportunities!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the pink distracting, but I'm glad to learn that what is depicted has nothing to do with artificial surfaces.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Aercus said:
    62. I think I see very slight rub, but hard to tell with the lighting. I think it got market graded 62.

Thanks! This is good info to have. Much appreciated, Insider.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

@erwindoc said:

Please REMEMBER:

Don't believe all you read from any of us - no matter who it is or what they have done in numismatics (until you can prove it for yourself). That includes ALL OF US - except for Ms. Boyd.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 1:21PM

Now that’s a keeper I would want.

Was going to say nice 64 but then saw coin in holder and no dealbreaker toning or spots. The coin has nice luster and strike - certainly PQ. Possibly price at bid plus 35 pct. start negotiations there.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@erwindoc said:

Please REMEMBER:

Don't believe all you read from any of us - no matter who it is or what they have done in numismatics (until you can prove it for yourself). That includes ALL OF US - except for Ms. Boyd.

But, but, but you declaim with such CONVICTION! How could anyone contemplate any other VIEW? ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@Catbert said:

@Insider2 said:

@erwindoc said:

Please REMEMBER:

But, but, but you declaim with such CONVICTION! How could anyone contemplate any other VIEW? ;)

What?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ms63, congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

I was at 64, and I find the pinkish color attractive. Accurately graded IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file