Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you look numismatically at your change?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
LCoopie = Les

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, only to see if it’s about right.

Quick silver scan. May check for Wheaties.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I’m a pure numismatist, how dare you ask me.

I always check MS newly released coins, Always.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I check for stuff to keep for my quarter Danscos.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anymore, it is a very cursory look only. New quarters (for new types), also eyeball quarters and dimes for silver (to me, the color difference is still obvious). Look for New dates, especially in the first part of the new year. Most of the actual excitement in recent years has been in the Coinstar reject slot.

I spend much less time at this the last several years. The game is just not worth the candle.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

You never know. A friend have me a pile of her change and it included an MS-ish 1909 VDB cent.

I also found a rare error (in a box of nickels) that is worth a few $1000.

Actually, I would encourage everyone to not look at their change. I'll do the looking for them when it lands in the palm of my hand. ;)

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't CRH but have been looking through change ever since I was 6. My Dad used to put his change on the table when he got home from work, and I would make a beeline for it (he only used to let me keep the cents I needed for my newly acquired Whitman folder). I still quickly look at everything I get, and if possible look again when I spend some of it. After almost 50 years, it's a hard habit to break.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. It goes into a jar and checked when rolling. Best find 1999 wide AM Lincoln cent.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t counted my change in many years. I just glance at the dimes and quarters. I can spot a 90% coin a mile away.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sometimes look at a handful of pocket change only if something catches my eye. US coin are so ugly they don’t deserve my attention. The mint dropped the ball long ago and is so stale it’s ridiculous. Isn’t it way past due to make are money beautiful again? I’m sure you’ll agree the answer is a resounding yes.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a lot darned gall to ask us that

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought some junk silver a while ago and found an 1854 O with arrows dime. Obverse about 8 reverse about 10. Check junk silver purchases too.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Yep. I quickly scan all coins I receive in change.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always look! :sunglasses:

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don’t use change.

I voted. No. I don’t use change.

I do use cash, but all my change goes in jars for the last 10 or 15 years. I should really deposit that and see what it comes to. Might be able to buy a nice coin now.

I haven’t looked at quarters since the statehood program.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don’t use change.

I don't use change and when I spend cash, do so to avoid receiving change. It doesn't buy anything and I don't collect it. I will attempt to find the nicest examples during my foreign travel though.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look to see if there is anything of interest.
    Why not?
    I love coins!

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. I have the two "Harris" folders for Lincolns (41-74 and 74-13) and strict rules . . . . . coins that go in MUST be taken from the wild. Transactions (have not done any rolls yet but hmmmmmm . . . maybe???), and I usually try to upgrade when somebody spends some of dad's collection (yup, happens all the time---BU 1960's out there rolling around!).

The wheats will never even get close. I add about one every 6 months. Living in Utah, it tends to show geographically according to Mint as to what I have left.

Still need (after 3 years) NOT a solicitation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
    1968-S

Have not added in about 3 months . . .those last few are BEASTS in my area !!!!!!!

Also toying with the thought of a Jeffie album . . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely positively everywhere I go. Pulled an AU 2017-P Lincoln out just yesterday. I also pulled a $10 2009 star note. Thanks for asking. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look but not really hard. I pause for something that looks worn.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Quick silver scan. May check for Wheaties.

This for me, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I throw the loose change at the timewasters who are using credit cards and don't know what to do. :#

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always check my change.... first when I receive it and second when I empty my pockets....then it goes into jars, which I will check again - sometime - before cashing it in. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought we might get some #4 and #5 😀

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 11:59AM

Every transaction I'm involved in I check. My guys at work hate it! Lol! The LMC's i can check quick for the WAM, I can see it with my eyes without a loupe!

@Ricko.... same here bro!!!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 12:12PM

Oh YES! I do in fact check closely. Esp. being the "error/variety" collector! I can easily see a collector not in our category, not really taking the extra minute or so to seek for that hidden gem. I can see you guy's (not into errors/varieties) just taking that one second glance for Silver, then placing the change into the pocket. or as some mentioned, for a wheatie. Just think guy's, instead of finding that not so common Silver coin, that may be worth $2-$6. If you pass up a non-silver error/variety coin that may be worth 10-20 times more than a silver coin! Think of the money you just left on that proverbial table. Oh well, I guess if you remain not interested than the more for us error/variety geeks to find. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@toyz4geo said:
    Yes. It goes into a jar and checked when rolling. Best find 1999 wide AM Lincoln cent.

You mentioning the 1999 wide AM cent struck me! Have you ever heard my story about that Variety? Here it goes. Back in 2000, I was walking on the sidewalk near my home when I spotted a penny on the concrete. Yes, i picked it up(and not just for luck) and yes, you guessed it. It was the popular 1999 Wide AM Cent. To my surprise it really wasn't that damaged. I decided to send it in across the street (NGC). It came back a RB 64. I was very pleased to say the least. Here's the other bonus, It was the FIRST Wide AM Cent graded by NGC. Remember, it was only about a year after it was minted. Now, here's the bad news. I sold it about 10 years ago! I know I should have never done it but I needed the cash. I got $200 for it. Hope you still have yours? :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I often tell the clerk to keep the change. Sometimes I’ll glance at it, but I always listen for silver. The sound it makes vs clad is very distinctive.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2019 10:37PM

No, I don’t use change.

In theory, there could be another answer:

Yes, when I have it, but I have no change :(

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember the last time a 'change-find' was posted here that was really worthwhile.
    It just isn't the 50's or even the 60's anymore......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file