Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterstamped Bust Dime, Quarter, Half, & RE Half

1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a counterstamped bust dime, quarter, half, and reeded edge half all in pretty worn condition. An interesting group of coins that all have one thing in common. They were apparently counterstamped by the same individual. It didn't appear to be in Brunk when I checked. Have you ever seen any other coins with a similar stamp? Post a picture if you have one, or post a picture of any counterstamped coin.

Thanks - 1TwoBits








Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Comments

  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cool

  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That looks like a good research project! Bet ya got a few here going at it on google.

  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 8:29PM

    I saw one of these last week in the USMEX fundraiser auction! And I think I had another on a Portrait 8 Reales a number of years ago.

    Andy Lustig

    Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
    Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 9:27PM

    This may be another, in the

    The Howard D. Gibbs collection of cut and counterstamped, necessity and siege coins of the Americas ... [03/18-19/1966]

    COLOMBIA
    [lot] 984 Worn Real, counterstamped “AA” in oval pellets. (10.00)

    [no photo for this lot, page 48 of catalog]
    https://archive.org/details/howarddgibbscoll00hans
    (Newman Numismatic Portal)

    I also tried looking for A.A as a silversmith hallmark, but did not find anything.

  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hi. My name is topstuf and I'm a .......

  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Interesting...... LOVE the bust half piece..

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a great set.

    The style of the punch is reminiscent of a metalsmith - copper, pewter, silver.

    I have a similar set from the early 20th century - cent, dime, quarter, half dollar - with a small jewelers monogram mark. I am eagerly searching for the counterstamp on a nickel!

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is an interesting counterstamp....I would think it has a history somewhere....will see what I can find. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just throwing this out there.

    AA was founded in 1935.

  • Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

    Thank you for the interesting comments. It's also good to know about the other coins with the same counterstamp.

    1TwoBits

    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file