Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a clipped planchet or damage?

I was going through my old coin collection from when I was a teenager and came across this. Its a 1942 jefferson nickel with no mint mark so sadly there is no silver but the damage on the edge made me think it could possibly be a clipped planchet. Thats probably why I saved it but I may have thought it was silver due to its age and the patina. I didnt know about war nickels at the time.

The edge is flattened but there is no deformation of the lettering or monticello. What do you think? I'm leaning towards damage but i've seen similar coins for sale on ebay that claimed to be clipped planchets.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of hard to tell in that condition.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sand blaster. Hammer. File. But why would anyone take the time?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 5:36PM

You forget what it's like to be young with nothing but time on your hands. >:)

As a kid I punched, drilled, burned, squeezed, and belt-sanded coins. When I was a bit older I executed a few by firing squad.

You ask why? I asked why not?

P.S. - it was a real learning experience.

• Options

@JBK said:

As a kid I punched, drilled, burned, squeezed, and belt-sanded coins. When I was a bit older I executed a few by firing squad.

In my last half dollar box I found 2 coins with holes punched in them and one with a hole punched in it and and another metal, probably lead, cold forged into the hole. Even into my late 20's I had more time than money. During that period I found some very creative ways to destroy things.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not hard to tell in that condition. 100% certain not a clip.

Discuss.

• Options

@jonathanb said:

Discuss.

What makes you so certain?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

Discuss.

No Blakesley effect.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

<<< As a kid I punched, drilled, burned, squeezed, and belt-sanded coins. When I was a bit older I executed a few by firing squad. >>>

I didn't do any of that except for the "burned."

Why I wanted to see if i could melt a coin, i don't remember why? I never did have anything hot enough to do the job, but i recall some interesting coloring effects.

Don't get me started on cleaning. Fortunately, it was nothing of great value. But i certainly adhered to the old saying of give a kid an old coin and he shall try to clean it. LOL

• Options

@ms70 said:

@jonathanb said:

Discuss.

No Blakesley effect.

I doubt you'd see the effect with such a minor clip and the rims worn down that much. That's why I feel there's no way to be certain.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too damaged. Good to look at an wonder what happened.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was a clip, it was very minor and the wear may have removed the Blakesley effect.... from the picture though, I would lean more to PMD. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I doubt you'd see the effect with such a minor clip and the rims worn down that much. That's why I feel there's no way to be certain.

No question that the Blakesley effect would still be easily visible. There is zero metal flow on this piece, so zero chance that this is a real clip.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2019 3:20PM

Not all clips have the Blakesley effect. I look for metal flow on the real mint error clips.

That said, wether this is real of fake makes no matter as the coin in this condition is only worth face value.

• Options

@jonathanb said:

@jmlanzaf said:

No question that the Blakesley effect would still be easily visible. There is zero metal flow on this piece, so zero chance that this is a real clip.

Not all clips show the effect at all. And the effect will be smaller with a smaller clip. And with the rims ground down like that, I stand by the fact that you might not see it even if it was there.

Where's @FredWeinberg ?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion: that coin has a damaged rim and is not a mint made error. The rim next to the D and W of GOD WE is still visible, if that metal was missing before the strike the rim there would not have formed and there would be signs of metal flow at the top of the letters toward the clip.

Because nickel planchets are harder than copper or clad ones the metal flow can be trickier to see, and the Blakesley effect is not always as pronounced, but some hint should be visible even in low grades.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was never a genuine 'clip', imo.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file