Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this Peace Dollar?

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 26, 2019 12:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wondering on what this might grade if submitted.
I don’t know much about these, but I noticed the cheek, and obverse as a whole, seems remarkably free of contact marks.
I also know that the toning is NT.

Limiting factors I assume would be lack of flashy luster and the contact marks on the reverse. I just wonder how limiting....

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

AU

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like old album toning.
    It may have been lightly cleaned at one point and then toned over a little bit - hard to tell from the photos.
    The face and neck are remarkably free of bag marks.
    My overall first impression is MS-63 (assuming there is no cleaning).

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d guess approximately MS63, though I’m not at all convinced that it’s original.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 is about right but I believe the nasty not to be original. QC-Details is my guess. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obv. is 65 but the rev. is 63 or 62 with alot on contact marks on the eagle, so I'll say MS 63 or maybe 64, on a good day.

The toning looks like market acceptable re-tone to me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2019 1:39PM

Nice looking coin, but the surfaces look "off" to me. Maybe it's just the light, but the coin looks pretty flat without any luster bands or reflections. I'd guess polished and toned. Possibly AU with secondary toning making it look nicer than it is..... I'd be very happy to be wrong.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is an echo around here. In the images, the coin looks "brushed." Its eye appeal is off the charts but the hairlines will limit its grade to 64 max. Someone will pay good money for this (if not original) raw.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Hope it straight grades. Would look nice in an album.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess 63.... the chatter on the reverse limits the grade.... die crack on the neck is interesting...and two reeded edge contacts in the obverse fields limits the overall grade. Cheers, RickO

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see AU

LCoopie = Les
  • split37split37 Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019 6:00PM

MS 62-63, Obverse cleaned. Something is off about the luster on the Obverse.

[Edit] - Natural Toning, but the weak color progression of toning post-cleaning.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

I'll go MS63, perhaps a 64. Very nice strike! And, yes the toning is natural (environmental).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file