Home Sports Talk
Options

2019 World Series

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rule 6.05 Covers (?) this.

In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire's judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three foot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball; Rule 6.05(k) Comment: The lines marking the three-foot lane are a part of that lane and a batter- runner is required to have both feet within the three-foot lane or on the lines marking the lane. The batter-runner is permitted to exit the three-foot lane by means of a step, stride, reach or slide in the immediate vicinity of first base for the sole purpose of touching first base.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda rooting for the ‘Nats 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told my wife if I was Martinez I would be right in that Umps face and kicking dirt (Earl Weaver style) on him until I was thrown out. And sure enough when they came back from break.....he was gone! :D The call was TERRIBLE and the replay decision was WORSE!!!! The runner CLEARLY DID NOT interfere with the 1st baseman....he was on the bag when the glove hit him. Nobody run's in that lane and unless the runner intentionally gets in the way BEFORE he get's to the bag this is never called. That Ump was a POS!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rule states that the runner must be in the box that's in foul territory and that he's allowed to step back toward the bag to touch first base.

That's not even remotely close to what Turner did. Turner ran in fair territory the entire way down the line, with his left foot landing on the grass every time. He then took a small step toward foul territory (while remaining in fair territory) to hit the bag.

The call was 100% correct.

I'm not sure why people act like this is some play that's never called. I personally have seen it called dozens of times. Yes, the circumstances were unusual. But that's about it. The call itself was not rare in the slightest.

What major league baseball should do is implement the dual-base system used in slow pitch softball. Yeah, it'll rankle purists. Yeah, it'll look funny at first. But it will eliminate this stuff completely. Make the rule that the runner must be in the box in foul territory and give him a base to actually hit in foul territory. If he does anything different, he's out. Real simple.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

since the runner is allowed to touch the base and the entire base is in fair territory it seems that he has the right down the baseline to that width in fair territory. Rendon went down the line just like every right-handed batter does, and his left foot steps on the center of the bag. it isn't his fault that the first baseman stuck his mitt in his path. to my way of thinking it was a truly bogus call.

it was sweet, poetic justice that Rendon went deep in the seventh and really stuck the dagger in the Astros.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

living in H-town, i can honestly say that productivity in this city probs hit an all-time low today. the electricity is palpable. the Texans and Rockets do not exist as of this moment. what an unreal WS this has been. all 6 games won by the roadies is unfathomable. if i was a betting man, and i am, but i'm not tonight, i'd hop on Scherzer +130ish. that is positive EV as far as i'm concerned. i simply wouldn't trust Greinke in this situation. but then again, this series has defied conventional wisdom throughout, so let's get it on and see what happens. all i know is that if Houston doesn't win a championship because they simply couldn't win 1 out of 4 at home, tomorrow will feel like the first day of clean-up efforts after one of our annual hurricanes.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

AJ J Hinch says they got the call wrong, and he's the opposing manager. The rule is not meant to reward an errant throw and in this case it did.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 5:39PM

I gave up 1 1/2 runs and took Houston.

Max Kershaw is making my bet look good. :)

• Options

wrong about Zack Morris Greinke.....dude is dealing

Stros making Mad Max work hard

great, tight game thus far

• Options

WooHoo …………………… Nat's 3-2 !

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 7:48PM

Dumbest MLB call I’ve ever seen in my life, and it’s not even close. Complete butcher job.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

I think I hear Kate Smith tuning up !

• Options

Yep......it was her !

• Options

This is something we will never see again. The road team winning all 7 games.

• Options

congrats to the Montreal Expos and anyone who collects Soto & Rendon cards ;)

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 9:34PM

...and it's done.

1) Pete Carroll says let's not give the ball to Marshawn Lynch
    2) AJ Hinch says let's not give the ball to Gerrit Cole

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 9:36PM

Oh... and Mattress Mack did okay in the publicity department.

• Options

@Staircoins said:
    ...and it's done.

1) Pete Carroll says let's not give the ball to Marshawn Lynch
    2) AJ Hinch says let's not give the ball to Gerrit Cole

Cole pitched last night and I don't really think it would have made a difference.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 5:44AM

Neither team could win a game at home. This is how things are done in the.......

Happy Halloween!

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Speaking of twilight zone, what kind of quote was that by Cole?

Pissed that he couldnt relieve?

Terrible way to exit a franchise. Especially after getting jacked by a 21 year old. Twice.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Nats. (see what i did there with the rhyme)

An amazing success story considering all the circumstances. 👍

• Options

ripped 1 pack of update to celebrate. seems weird.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the ‘Nats

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    Addition by subtraction....Harper to Phils.

I think it would be incorrect to believe that wasn't at least some sort of motivation for the Nationals.

• Options

some pre-Halloween spookiness went down last night:

Houston and Washington DC played each other in another sport. at the exact same time as the baseball game. the score was 159-158. zero overtimes.

• Options

Harper actually had a decent year, but not 23M worth.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Houston and Washington DC played each other in another sport. at the exact same time as the baseball game. the score was 159-158. zero overtimes.

Crazy!!

I used to love high scoring games back in the day when the points came from exciting play, fast breaks, etc but I do not as much enjoy the high scoring games now that come from all the threes.

• Options

@stevek said:

@MLBdays said:

I think it would be incorrect to believe that wasn't at least some sort of motivation for the Nationals.

This is so much funnier now.

He DID call it though.

Maybe the Phillies should dump him now.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/bryce-harper-wants-to-bring-a-title-to-dc

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

Crazy!!

I used to love high scoring games back in the day when the points came from exciting play, fast breaks, etc but I do not as much enjoy the high scoring games now that come from all the threes.

The NBA needs to have a 4 point shot or a 5 point shot. Perhaps a shot from the opposite end of the court behind the baseline could be worth 7 points? Might be fun watching those basketballs flying around. LOL

• Options

I personally like the three point shot and Curry is the most exciting 3-pt shooter EVER. The guy is insane and is always in range to shoot.

• Options

@artee said:

@stevek said:

@MLBdays said:

This is so much funnier now.

He DID call it though.

Maybe the Phillies should dump him now.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/bryce-harper-wants-to-bring-a-title-to-dc

Harper is an asset to the Phillies. That is not debatable.

Is he worth the money? Not yet for sure. But the book is still wide open on Bryce Harper with the Philadelphia Phillies.

With a new manager, and plugging a few holes, the Phillies should be in the pennant race next season, with Bryce Harper helping to make that happen.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I personally like the three point shot and Curry is the most exciting 3-pt shooter EVER. The guy is insane and is always in range to shoot.

you won't be enjoying that visual for a while

the Warriors' dynasty evaporated last night

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    I thought Gerrit Cole coming out right after the WS game saying he is no longer "an employee" of the Houston Astros and wearing a Boras sweatshirt at the news conference was a bit of a shocker.... not a flattering move at all....

Looks great for any perspective employers, right?

I think the boras gear spoke louder than his own words. Which is a feat in and of itself.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

you won't be enjoying that visual for a while

the Warriors' dynasty evaporated last night

Not only is Curry out, but half the team was already gone! Their run is OVER !!!

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 3:59PM

Warriors D’Angelo Russell has worst plus/minus in the entire NBA.

Through one week, the D’Angelo Russell experiment has been an utter disaster. In 119 minutes with Russell on the floor, the Warriors have been outscored by 74 points. It’s the worst plus-minus for any player in the NBA this season, per NBA.com.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

And then the pitcher gets to stand there for 10 mins waiting. Then a gopher ball. o:)

• Options

A great series for any baseball fan. I was torn because both teams have many likeable guys. But a once in a lifetime series where the road team wins every game, the starting pitching is fantastic and most are decided in the late innings. The Nationals earned this one! Kudos.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just having it go 7 is amazing. It's so different for me when my team isn't in it. Just get to sit back and enjoy. I'm sure most can relate.

• Options

I certainly can, especially when the games are like the ones we just saw.